why can't you use snowsuits in carseats?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know your not supposed to wear snowsuits or heavy jackets on babies in their car seats, but why? I would think if you were in an accident and uncousious, you would want the baby to be warm. Is it bc the baby won't fit snug into the straps or what?

August 6th, 2011, 02:42 PM
aka Steph
It's because they are too thick. In a crash the snowsuit will compress, and therefore the straps aren't snug enough and the carseat is useless. The test: Put baby in, like a sleep and play, and adjust straps on carseat so they are snug, etc. Then put baby in the snowsuit, and try and put baby in carseat. If you DO NOT need to adjust the straps any looser, than it's safe, if you do, it's not. Its a good test for bulkier outfits. You want the straps to be snug right to their skin, not snug to the outfit. If you're concerned, then use a blanket over the baby. Or they make cap-style carseat covers that do not go under the baby that are OK.

Wifey to Adam. Mama to Danica, Liam and Stepmama to Lilith

August 6th, 2011, 02:50 PM
MysticalSerenity's Avatar L♥ving my Babies!
Yuppers...exactly what Steph said! you can cover them, just not leave it over their heads, with a thick blanket to keep them warm

August 6th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
I meet in the middle i get bunting for baby to wear, it is made if polar fleece very warm but not at all bulky. Columbia makes a great one

August 6th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
yep, what steph said.

a fleece snowsuit or coat is fine, it wont compress like a regular coat would, also a shower cap style car seat cover is a great option, and you can always put blankets over baby after they are buckled in the seat

August 6th, 2011, 08:20 PM
WAHM to 3 Crazy girls
Same thing with older kiddos in carseats! They should not have their heavy jacket one under the buckles. My girls buckle and then put their jackets on backwards over top of the buckles if they are cold!
August 6th, 2011, 09:06 PM
blessedmom080911's Avatar Excitedly Expecting #3!
Steph! We usually just use a blanket over them after baby is buckled. Or the shower cap like cover.

August 7th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've lived in Florida most of my life and seriously never even thought about this. Wow, that would be a pain to have to take baby in and out of a snow suit/coat.

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
August 7th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Veteran
i have the lite bundle me that i will use

August 7th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Giveme1more~ View Post
i have the lite bundle me that i will use
bundle me's arent recomended because they have the material that goes between the seat and the baby, which isnt safe. You dont want anything between baby and the seat. I dont know if the light is different than the traditional bundle me or not, ive never seen one.

August 7th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
Here's an album showing diffrent things for winter and why or why not they are good to use. Keeping warm in infant Car Seats. The bundle me type thing is double layered fleece, it actually is safer than a real bundle me. But personally I still wouldn't use it, I bought it for when DH takes DS for jogs in the fall. Also things like the bundle me put the straps out of place. Yeah it has velcro to keep it in the seat but it twists the straps and moves them out of a safe position. Thin single layered fleece is fine to use in a jacket or bunting.

Where I live in January it's not uncommon to have -30*F temps not including the wind chill factor. DS was plenty warm in just his fleece jacket from The Children's Place, a hat, blanket over him after being buckled in his seat, and a shower cap cover over the seat. Sometimes he got to warm. I'd unzip his cover when we'd get in the car.

made by BAM

August 7th, 2011, 01:32 PM
aka Steph
Nicole what a great link! I'll be passing it on to all my mommy-to-be's!

Wifey to Adam. Mama to Danica, Liam and Stepmama to Lilith

August 7th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumba View Post
Nicole what a great link! I'll be passing it on to all my mommy-to-be's!
Thanks! I was board last Sep and that is what came of that. LOL I had a real bundle me but sold it before I did that. Like I mentioned the fleece one I used I bought for our stroller, which it works perfect for.

made by BAM

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search