support after the baby is born

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
(1.) How long (if at all), will your dh/so stay home with you and the baby after you give birth? DH will take off 2 weeks, but they might not be 2 weeks in a row

(2.)Will you have any other people to help (in-laws, family or friends) or will you be alone? MIL might come up a few days while DH is at work, its up to her though

August 19th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Regular
Hubby will take off a week, while I'm in the hospital, and the first few days I'm home. Then that's it. Boys will be in school, so that'll make the first parts of the day easier, and my mom, his mom, and my brother all live within 30 miles, so I'm sure I'll have help if I want it.

My mom stayed three weeks after my oldest, and then his mom came in for a week. She left JUST as his colic was starting. His mom was there for about a week after my youngest, then my sister-in-law came for another week, but hubby was home that whole time as he'd just been laid off. I'm actually looking forward to some more alone time w/ baby this time around.
August 19th, 2011, 05:47 AM
MustangTania's Avatar "Hope"
(1.) How long (if at all), will your dh/so stay home with you and the baby after you give birth?

Definitely 2 weeks, possibly 3.

(2.)Will you have any other people to help (in-laws, family or friends) or will you be alone?

Not really. My parents live an hour away from me and both work.

**Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!**
August 19th, 2011, 07:47 AM
PinkCloud's Avatar It's a girl!!!
My hubby is taking a week off with me. When he goes back to work my mom is coming to stay either one or two weeks - depending on how long I need her. MIL also wants to stay for a week.
August 19th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Anna.Loves.Toast's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
SO is working on his last semester of his bachelors degree, so he really won't be able to take time off from school. But, he only goes to school M, W, F, so T, Th and the weekends he'll be home. Both of our moms live within just a few miles, so they can come over and help out...ptobably his mom more than mine, since my mom will be getting last minute wedding things done. And my sister is planning on flying out from Nebraska on the 21st of October
August 19th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With my husband' schedule, he's taking 3 days off work but will actually be home 10 days. He works 3 days one week 4 he next, etc. My MIL lives a minute from us so I'm sure she will be around. My parents live 40 minutes away so my mom will be around quite often too. Also I think DH's grandmother from Florida is going to come visit for a month or so. She will stay with my MIL but will be around.

August 19th, 2011, 05:18 PM
5 girls + 1 boy
The babys father wont be here.
My mom lives with me, she has since she was disabled a few years ago, so she has a home day care here for my girls and a few other children she keeps for income, so she will be here to help with anything and then she will watch AJ when I go back to work in November.

August 19th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
(1.) How long (if at all), will your dh/so stay home with you and the baby after you give birth?

I think he's planning to be off for a week and maybe work from home for a week, or, just be off for two weeks. He doesn't seem to have it set in his mind yet.

(2.)Will you have any other people to help (in-laws, family or friends) or will you be alone?

We have a lot of family who live in town, I'm assuming I'll be beating them off with a stick. Not sure they'll actually be helpful, though--last time a lot of people wanted face time with Jim, but none of our family did stuff like offer to clean our house or bring us food.

August 19th, 2011, 08:38 PM
MrsR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It depends on if I'm overdue or not. Hopefully this little guy comes close to his due date, so DH can be home for a week or so. The way his job works his schedule for October & November is already starting to be filled. He's blocked off days but if the baby isn't born by then...

My parents live about 2 hours away but my mom works in a town that's about 30 minutes away, so I'm sure she'll be dying to come over as much as possible. When I go into labor my parents will be coming to get DS, which will be the biggest help to me. DH's parents are both deceased but his sister lives about 15 minutes away. She probably won't come unless I ask her to because she runs her own business and is really busy. His brothers and their wives I don't think will come over at all. His family isn't really that kind of family.

Thank you so much to tasha_mae for my adorable signature!

August 20th, 2011, 08:06 AM
eccomi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
in italy they keep you in the hospital for three full days with a normal, healthy birth and longer if you've had a c-section or other complications (either mom or baby). i have no idea just how many days DH will stay home with me once we are released from the hospital (maybe 2-3 days?). he works for his family's business so there's no telling... although we live very close to where we both work so DH already told me he'll be coming home for lunch once marco is here.

my mom is planning to come for a few weeks around the 28th of october (10 days after my EDD). she wanted to come sooner but honestly 1) i'd hate for her to come earlier and for marco to come late (she will have limited time here so i'd prefer her grandson to be here from the get-go) and 2) i secrectly hope that marco comes close to his due date so i'll have some time to adjust on my own to motherhood. i feel bad saying this because i love my mom to death, but i'm a little worried that having her here is going to make me feel more stressed! she has MS and while she's still doing pretty great considering she does have some issues climbing stairs (we're on the fifth floor, no lift!) and also she has limited use of her left arm/hand which makes me really nervous when she's holding babies. my poor mom.

MIL, on the other hand, lives close by and already told DH she will be around 24/7 to help. that would be great EXCEPT that she drives me cRaZy . i cringe at just the thought. we'll see how this goes...

cycles 1-16: TTC naturally, all BFNs
cycle 17 & 18: not TTC (due to diagnostic tests)
october 14: RE appt with follow-up hysteroscopy + saline sonogram... TUBES ARE CLEAR!
cycle 19, 20 & 21: natural TTC cycles = BFNs
cycle 22: another natural cycle, but preparing for our first IUI with injectables for cycle 23! FINALLY!!!
FEBRUARY 10th... our very first when we least expected it!!!

october 26th... our little miracle arrived via c-section at 12:19pm weighing 3.920 kilos! we are in love.
August 21st, 2011, 11:54 AM
Super Mommy
Depends on when she comes but DH will take a week or so completely off and work from home as long as I want/need him to. My mom will be here for 10 days, and she is super helpful too!

Mommy to five wonderfully crazy kids
DD10, DS8, DS7, DS5 and DD 18m
Expecting Baby #6 EDD 12/3/13
August 22nd, 2011, 08:43 AM
Tina_Marie's Avatar Mommy2Boys
-DH will be staying home with me for a week. Thats what he did for Bray and it worked out great!

-My mom will take some time off too. Depending on when I need her to. Also my sister works nights so she will be available during the day if I need her.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy

August 22nd, 2011, 11:55 AM
SO won't be taking any time off except for Sundays which are our "family days". He owns his own business so he's got to be there around 20 hours a day, we hardly see him.

No one else to help out so it'll just be me taking care of my 6 almost 7 year old and the baby. I like it better this way though since I like things done a certain way and I won't be feeling up to having anyone over helping or otherwise.
August 22nd, 2011, 09:35 PM
Miss Mo's Avatar Super Mommy
DH works from home during the day so he will be around to help. He works at night and was very helpful last time when he'd get home and DS was still wide awake!!

As far as additional help - not sure how that will work out. My mom lives 5 hours away and could get here in time for the birth, but my dad is not doing so well and doesn't like long car rides. He can't stay home alone either and he definitely doesn't like being away from home long.... It was so helpful to have my mom around last time though. She made dinner every night and cleaned up around the house and left me free to bond with baby (Back then, Dad was fine being home alone.) MIL lives across the street, but her idea of helping is holding the baby while I get stuff done (umm... NOT helping, and btw a little bit selfish!!) On the other hand I'm not sure I'd want her cleaning up and getting into my stuff anyway!! (Don't get me wrong, I do love her but she's just not the same as my mom, KWIM?) So, I guess my answer is we'll see how it's going and go from there.

Introducing Aris!
Welcomed to our Family on 10/8/11

August 22nd, 2011, 09:41 PM
blessedmom080911's Avatar Excitedly Expecting #3!
DH will take off day of delivery and following day (hopefully as he starts a new job Monday) and my mom will have a week off with me. Then I'm on my own! Although someone will have to help me get Annslee home from school as I won't be able to drive for two weeks. (one week my mom will help get to and from, but after she goes back to work, I will still need help getting her home)

August 22nd, 2011, 10:43 PM
soon to be mommy of four!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mo View Post

As far as additional help - not sure how that will MIL lives across the street, but her idea of helping is holding the baby while I get stuff done (umm... NOT helping, and btw a little bit selfish!!) On the other hand I'm not sure I'd want her cleaning up and getting into my stuff anyway!! (Don't get me wrong, I do love her but she's just not the same as my mom, KWIM?) So, I guess my answer is we'll see how it's going and go from there.
yup....thats the kind of "help" I usually get....last time I had a baby I was making everyone coffee and tidying up while they just sat there and hogged my baby...grrrr......
my own mother was SUPER helpful (cleaning, cooking, bathing baby for me), but sadly she passed away 10 years ago (she was only around for my first child) and its times like this, being pregnant, that I really miss her even more.
son, born Oct. 2, 2009
and expecting baby #4: 10/10/2011!!

one angel baby

Make a pregnancy ticker

August 23rd, 2011, 12:25 AM
ResilientSmile's Avatar Super Mommy

Unfortunately hubby works two jobs so he will not be taking off anytime...he will take what he needs to be there for the birth. After that he is off on Sundays and Fridays but since one of his jobs is overnight he is normally zonked out until the afternoon...

I have a feeling I am going to have too much help. I know that as a first time mom I might be completely delusional but I have always enjoyed my privacy and space and would be content to be alone with Lila for a little while so we can "learn" about each other (especially b/c I will be exclusively BF). But, that will likely not happen since everyone is super excited about her arrival. Most likely my mom and best friend (Aunt Sara) will be visiting a lot...

on a side note- I am really into cooking and freezing meals. While I would love to think that people will be showering us with food, I certainly can't bank on it I plan to start the cooking madness beginning of October...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search