Surgery Update

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Well, the surgery is done, I'm home, and over-all things went better than I expected.

The only bad part of the day really was the AWFUL recovery nurse. Before my surgery even started, she ordered things that weren't even on my chart - fetal monitoring (which was just a doppler, that's fine), and Sodium Citrate.

Of course when she tried to tell me to drink it, I refused and wanted to know what it was...she was VERY pushy and intimidating, but I told her I would not take whatever it was until I spoke to my surgeon and anesthesiologist. After speaking to them, I was comfortable with taking it...but man, that nurse was bad! She gave me a hard time about everything!! My nailpolish, choosing the spinal (it was taking me too long to recover apparently), and she even fought with my surgeon about letting Dan in the room afterwards (my surgeon knows Dan personally and told her flat out to let him in).

The actual surgery was fine though. Because it was going to be more than my last surgery, they couldn't just heavily seadate me...I had a choice of general anesthetic or a spinal. When they told me the spinal was an option I was hesitant to go that route..but the doctors explained to me that there was actually a lot less transferred to baby with a spinal and it was safer over all, so that's what I chose.

The spinal was a breeze, didn't hurt at all. It was good to be awake during the procedure.

Apparently my surgeon/urologist told Dan afterwards that he was shocked when he looked at the stint. It was covered in crystals on the kidney's end and completely blocked with stones. He rarely sees them that bad and could understand why I have been so uncomfortable. lol

So I have a new stint in, and I feel pretty great. It could be that the spinal hasn't wore off completely ...but I have NO pain right now. Lets hope this keeps up

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

August 20th, 2011, 11:45 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Wow, that nurse if awful! I am sorry you had to deal with that. I can't even imagine what you are going through so I really hope that this stint will work well for you. I am glad that it is over with.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

August 20th, 2011, 12:03 PM
blessedmom080911's Avatar Excitedly Expecting #3!
Sorry you had a crappy nurse! Glad you are feeling great! Get well soon!

August 20th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
im glad youre home and feeling good, I hope you continue to be pain free and dont have to deal with any more medical stuff!

rest up!

August 20th, 2011, 12:57 PM
mom2njia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mom2njia
Sorry you had a rough nurse! That never helps things. But I am glad the surgery went well and you are feeling good!

my blog
August 20th, 2011, 01:36 PM
east to west coast's Avatar ~Melissa~
Soooo glad you're feeling better, Rae! Fingers crossed that this keeps up and all of these are a thing of the past! Rest and relax the rest of the day, and enjoy your baby shower tomorrow!

Thank you, MommaDucks, for my lovely siggy
August 20th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Joanna1127's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Joanna1127
so glad it went well and you're feeling good! Praying that you have no more pain!
August 20th, 2011, 01:55 PM
MrsR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad to hear the good news! Hopefully this no-pain will continue until your LO is born.

Thank you so much to tasha_mae for my adorable signature!

August 20th, 2011, 02:57 PM
meganmacg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad it went well! I hope there's no pain for your shower tomorrow.

August 20th, 2011, 03:04 PM
lindz_fay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad you are feeling better despite the crappy nurse

thank you bri_91 for my siggy

August 20th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Mom to Girls
I am so glad it went well (other than the nurse). Hopefully this can finally be put to an end.

Curious what the problem was with the nail polish?

Hope you're pain is minimal for the shower.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy
August 20th, 2011, 07:03 PM
BrittneyLA's Avatar Mom of three boys!
BOOO too the crappy nurse. That really is the worst!! Im glad your feeling better and my fingers are crossed that it continues!!
August 20th, 2011, 07:09 PM
MustangTania's Avatar "Hope"
I'm so glad the surgery went well despite the awful nurse you had!! I hope you continue to feel good!!

**Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!**
August 20th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Veteran
Glad to hear you are home away from the witch (nurse) hugs
August 20th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Miss Mo's Avatar Super Mommy
Glad to hear it went well and really hope the pain is gone for real and not just cause of the spinal. Take it easy and enjoy tomorrow!!

Introducing Aris!
Welcomed to our Family on 10/8/11

August 20th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Sorry about the nurse but happy it went well

August 20th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad the surgery went well. Do they know why you are making so many crystals? I hope you don't need any more procedures before the baby is born!

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
August 20th, 2011, 10:02 PM
nyc_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry about the craptastic nurse! Ugh- she sounds like a major PIA. BUT, so happy to hear you are pain free and feeling better!!! I am crossing my fingers that you have a smooth remainder of your pregnancy. You deserve it!

August 20th, 2011, 10:03 PM
♥womanintheshoe♥'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ugh...as if surgery isn't hard enough you got a dreadful nurse, too?? How frustrating for you!

I really, really hope that you continue to feel good even after the spinal wears off.

Also missing 11 precious little ones here with us but for a moment.

VERY cautiously expecting after two losses early 2013. Hoping and praying my Valentine's Day due date baby sticks this time.
August 21st, 2011, 04:19 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carisma View Post

Curious what the problem was with the nail polish?
Well, apparently according to nurse cranky-pants, it interfears with the little device they put on your finger to monitor your heartbeat and temp.

I scraped the polish off my finger to appease her, and then when I got into the surgical room, the nurses there laughed when I told them why one of my fingers was not polished. They say that it's really not something they worry about any more, and is really an "old-school" belief. Unless you have super dark/thick polish on, it's not going to cause an issue. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyKitty View Post
I'm glad the surgery went well. Do they know why you are making so many crystals? I hope you don't need any more procedures before the baby is born!
I've asked my urologist if it is something dietary, but he said more often than not, it is way too hard to figure out if it's something I am eating that is causeing my crystals. Limiting my diet right now to find out what it could be isn't really an option since I am pregnant.

In pregnancy, the hormones make pretty much all of your systems move slower, so in the case of the kidneys, it makes them much more prone to creating crystals, since fluids are moving slower. I may have had stones before and just didn't notice them, and pregnancy has now made them bad enough to cause all these problems.

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search