Need opinion about breast pump

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2011, 03:01 PM
east to west coast's Avatar ~Melissa~
I got the Medela Harmony breast pump (a manual, single pump) as a gift for my shower:

Amazon.com: Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump: Baby

I'm 100% positive that I want to pump just so that DH can help with feedings asap, and I'll also be going back to work part-time in January. However, even after I go back to work my schedule will be really flexible and I'll have time to pump during the day at various times if need be.

All that said, I'm just wondering if you think that this pump will be sufficient, or if I should return it and get a different one. I'm pretty sure I don't want or need one of the really expensive double electric pumps, but I'm open to buying one that's more in the middle (like, the Medela Swing) if someone's used this one and didn't find it to be effective or efficient. It got good reviews, but I still wanted to check with you ladies.

Thank you, MommaDucks, for my lovely siggy
August 20th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Mommy2Maddox's Avatar Proud Army Wife & Mommy!
I personally am not going to invest the money until I know without a shadow of a doubt that BFing is going to work for us. I had every intention of EBFing my son but I had a lot of issues and ended up supplementing with formula and by 4 weeks old he was on exclusively formula. This time.. I am going to get the same breast pump you linked (manual one) and if it works out I may rent one from the hospital or buy one of the nice double electric ones. A lot of times insurance will even pay for the pump.. so check into that

huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for my lovely siggy!

August 20th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Mom to Girls
I got a manual breast pump with Belle. I did use it for when my breast was rock solid. but my milk never fully came in. With Katie I ended up getting the Medela Swing pump after she was born because the manual was just not doing the job. With her not properly latching and my milk supply very low, I wanted to get the electric so I can pump and feed her. But didn't want to shell out the money for a double. I still had issue with my supply so ended up formual feeding at 4-5 weeks old.

I would recommend getting the medela swing pump if you want DH to do feedings. I find the manual too time consuming and a pain in the hand to get enough for a feeding. Though it might be something you want to wait for until the baby is born and see how it goes. Since that's one item we can't return once opened.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy
August 20th, 2011, 05:43 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
We got one from my SIL that is double electric. She has one like it for all 4 of her kids. Personally, I don't think I would pump if I had to use a manual pump. I would go with the swing if you only want a one breast pump.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

August 20th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
I would not use a manual it will take you forever even a single electric will save you a ton of time and frustration

August 21st, 2011, 06:11 AM
meganmacg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used a double electric. I know it's more expensive but I was pumping every few hours when I first went back. A single manual wouldn't have cut it.

August 21st, 2011, 08:48 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I think if you are going to be pumping (at any point) more than once a day, you might want to invest in an electric (although single should cut it just fine). I know that many women hate pumping to start and having to sit with a manual one for 30 minutes (since it will take longer to get the milk out) might get old really quick.

I only pumped for Liam ocassionally...so I would have milk in the freezer and could go to events without worrying he was going to starve. I used it maybe once every week throughout his nursing. And I still hated it But I have a double electric and it was rather efficent (although I only ever did one side at a time, so that is why I say a single should be fine).

So...in the end...I think if it were me, I would upgrade. I am a babbler today
August 21st, 2011, 09:05 AM
MysticalSerenity's Avatar L♥ving my Babies!
I would not use manual, only because it does not empty as well as an electric pump does. I have never used a dual pump, only a single pump and it worked just fine

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search