how are you storing/organizing clothes in baby's closet?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 25th, 2011, 09:03 PM
east to west coast's Avatar ~Melissa~
We finally bought a dresser/changing table (well, it's a dresser that we're also using as a changing table) earlier this week and it has 8 large, fabric bins that fit a ton of stuff in them but not everything. So, we'll still need some way to store and organize other baby-related items (specifically, bigger sized clothes). The baby's room isn't huge, so since there's really no room to put another dresser in there storing the rest of the stuff in the closet is going to be our best bet.

With the exception of a few items, we are much more apt to fold versus hang the bigger sized baby clothes that we need to put in the closet. I'm considering getting a tall, narrow dresser (like a lingerie dresser) to put inside the closet or a closet organizer (with cube-like shelves). But, I'd love to hear what everyone else used in the closets in their nursery. If you have pictures, please share!

Thank you, MommaDucks, for my lovely siggy
August 25th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
So I have two things
I have this mesh things I have beside the dresser for diapers light things that I want nest to the changing pad as I have a low dresser with a changing pad also

And I have this you can get at babiesrus and use it for baby towels, receiving blankets etc. Much cheaper than another dresser
Koala Baby Closet Organizer - Sage - Babies R Us - Toys "R" Us

Last edited by natty; August 25th, 2011 at 09:18 PM.
August 25th, 2011, 09:18 PM
soon to be mommy of four!
I have a small dresser, with 4 regular drawers. I fold all the onesies, receiving blankets, baby towels, washcloths, socks, hats, and sleepers.
The other stuff (actual pants, shirts, coats, sweaters, hoodies, dresses) go into the closet, I just hang them on baby hangers.
Every 3-4 months or so, I go through everything, and pack up in rubbermaids/or donate or get rid of outgrown or stained or worn out items or out of season items.
Nothing complicated here
son, born Oct. 2, 2009
and expecting baby #4: 10/10/2011!!

one angel baby

Make a pregnancy ticker

August 25th, 2011, 09:20 PM
ResilientSmile's Avatar Super Mommy
I haven't executed this yet..but here is the plan...

I have two of these closet organizers hanging
Koala Baby Closet Organizer - Pink - Babies R Us - Toys "R" Us

So that gives me 16 "shelves" to put folded baby clothes on/in. Then there is the space to hang items up

I have 3 of these storage bins

Koala Baby Canvas Dot Bin - Brown - Babies R Us - Toys "R" Us

So far I have put blankets, hats, bibs, and towels in them.

Once my dad refinishes my old dresser I will have three deep drawers to fold and put clothes in...I plan on having the top drawer for sleepers, gowns, and onsies. Maybe even swaddlers and swaddle blanets so they are easily accesible.

I am still at a loss for how diaper storage will go since we are using prefolds with covers and I don't technically have a changing table (using the top of the dresser). I am thinking of buying this Koala Baby 4-Pocket Organizer - Natural - Babies R Us - Toys "R" Us

if I can somehow mount it on the wall...

not sure if I helped..curious to hear others ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by natty View Post
So I have two things
I have this mesh things I have beside the dresser for diapers light things that I want nest to the changing pad as I have a low dresser with a changing pad also

And I have this you can get at babiesrus and use it for baby towels, receiving blankets etc. Much cheaper than another dresser
Koala Baby Closet Organizer - Sage - Babies R Us - Toys "R" Us

great minds think alike

and where did you get mesh contraption? That looks fantastic!
August 25th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientSmile View Post

and where did you get mesh contraption? That looks fantastic!
they don't sell that exact one anymore but I also use it for my cloth diapers and I had dh attach it to the ceiling so it doesn't have to hang like shown in the picture, here is the link
Hanging Stor-All Organizer by Whitmor

August 26th, 2011, 03:11 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
I'll have to take a picture later on today. I'm really specific in how I want closets organized. I'm kind of anti-dresser. My own closet is set up so I can see everything...if I can't see it, I forget about it!

Edit:

Here we go:

This is her closet

and her changing table:

Some prefolds /covers and pocket diapers in baskets

Larger prefolds:

Last edited by Urchin; August 26th, 2011 at 03:42 AM.
August 26th, 2011, 07:58 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Depending on how big the closet is, I would get a second dresser to put in there. In Liam's room, we have a SMALL dresser in the actual room that holds blankets, socks, sheets, bathing suits, hats, etc.

And then we went to Ikea and bought a plain white dresser to put inside the closet (we measured first!). We have a hanging bar above it for things like sleepers (which I tend to hang because they take up TONS of room folded) and the rest of his clothes are kept in the drawers (at first by size, since they move through them so quickly and now by "pants," "shirts," "onsies and two-piece jammies"). It worked out really nicely because the dresser holds tons of stuff and we got to use all the room in the closet. I will take a pic in a little while of how we fit it in there. Thankfully, the closet is a pretty decent size for a small room (all the rooms in our house are tiny).

For Kieran, we have a slightly different system, since his closet is WAY too small for any dresser. So we used two hanging bars and got a second storage unit (also from Ikea) to store his sheets, bath towels, wash cloths, shoes, etc in.

Ikea actually also sells those hanging things that Natty had for Elise. I am not sure if they have white. I know they have had green (like a really lime color), blue (aqua shade), red, and orange at one point. You would have to check their website or a local store to see what they have now, if anything.
August 26th, 2011, 08:15 AM
blessedmom080911's Avatar Excitedly Expecting #3!
I folded onesies, pants and gowns by size newborn/0-3 months, 3-6 and have them folded in a dresser. 0-3 gowns/sleepers are top drawer, 0-3 onesies are second and 3-6 months is third. Then the bottom drawer is bibs, burp cloths, socks and hats.

Under the bassinett, is a storage compartment and I put blankets some burp cloths and diapers in there.

I hung up things like dresses, matching outfits and such.

August 26th, 2011, 08:22 AM
aka Steph
For us, we have a small 3 drawer thing in the kids' closet. The first two drawers are Liam socks, onesies, and hats. The bottom drawer is Danica's socks and tights. All of Danica's clothes are hung up and so are the rest of Liam's clothes. I get rid of clothes they outgrow.

Forgot to add, the changing table right now has the baby tub on the bottom shelf, will have 2-3 bins on the top shelf for diapers and we're going to get one of those plastic diaper depots to attach to the edge for wipes/lotions etc.

Wifey to Adam. Mama to Danica, Liam and Stepmama to Lilith

August 26th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the input, ladies! You definitely got me thinking about our different options.

We actually have a tall, skinny Ikea dresser in our own closet that works well for all of our socks, underwear and pajamas, but the closest Ikea to where we live now is about 6 hours away. I wonder if you can order off their website...and how much shipping is...

I also really like the idea of using something like your wire shelving unit with baskets, Rae. Hmmmm.....

August 26th, 2011, 09:31 AM
PinkCloud's Avatar It's a girl!!!
Okay so I took these pictures after the baby shower on my phone and I promise, it's not still this messy! It's not 100% cleaned up yet but I'm trying to organize it slowly

We have a tall dresser and a changing table/dresser combo. I'm going to put newborn and 0-3 mo clothes in the drawers. Here are some pictures...

Lol here is after the shower

Here is the closet...I hung up the 6 mo + clothes. We got the cube organizer at Lowe's. There are some 6 mo + clothes laying the floor still

Last edited by PinkCloud; August 26th, 2011 at 09:44 AM.
August 26th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We have the cube-like organizer in our closet, works pretty good.

August 26th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don;t have pics right now, but I have a huge dresser with 8 drawers. I have all the bigger clothes folded in them and socks, plain onseies, and bibs/ burp clothes. I have the changing table with three drawers, and two shelves. I have diapers, wipes, diaper genie refills on the shelves and in the drawers i have lotions, diaper rash ointment, and breast pump and pads. I have two closets. The one has four shelves. THe go all away across the closet. On the shelves I have bins that are empty right now..lol. THe other closet has two shelves on the bottom so i can sill hang clothes at the top. I have all the smaller clothes hanging. I have toys, bath rub, and random things on the shelves.

August 26th, 2011, 04:30 PM
5 girls + 1 boy
me and baby are sharing a room so I have the closet, I got a closet hanger that separates into 6 shelves, the bottom 2 are mine for work shoes, and the top 4 are his, I got bins for a dollar at walmart! And separated his caps, socks, bibs and burp clothes. And we got him a dresser so his clothes will go in there, with totes that divide up sizes from 6 months to 9 months to 12 months and above.

August 26th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Super Mommy
I'm so glad you guys posted this because I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to store the twins stuff! I have a ton of stuff hanging but it's full and that top shelf is just packed with all the extra junk lol I don't have any other drawers or shelves in the closet but I think I have some ideas now thanks to you! we have 2 dressers in their room and only one is used right now (I'm not crazy about the other one, it was left by the previous renters) but I'm getting my old dresser/changer I had for my son back so i'll use that for things too...

hmmmmmm got my wheels all turning now! lol

August 26th, 2011, 05:17 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
That sucks that your closest Ikea is 6 hours away!! I don't know what I would do without my Ikea!! Lol.

I wanted to say that I love those cube organizers too. We got ours at Target...but have about five in various locations all over the house. They are great for multipurpose-ness. Like it can be a book shelf later, after you don't need as many drawers. Or you can use it all like a dresser with separate drawers. And they are pretty affordable too!
August 26th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj_1218 View Post
That sucks that your closest Ikea is 6 hours away!! I don't know what I would do without my Ikea!! Lol.
There isn't even a mall where we live. Our community is very mom and pop store-orientated, so we have a lot of private, locally owned shops (including most of our grocery stores). I love it, but it does become inconvenient at times....like this, for example

August 26th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Regular
Melissa have you checked out TheContainerStore.com?

I'm hanging everything that has shoulders. I put everything size NB or 0-3 months on pink hangers and everything 3mo-9mo on white hangers and I plan to always keep her current wardrobe on pink hangers.

We have a big bookcase - the top shelf is for books, 2nd shelf has 3 small baskets - one basket has rattles and teethers, one has smalled stuffed animals, and one has hats and mittens. The 3rd and 4th shelves have 2 big baskets - one for pants and bloomers, one for outdoor winter stuff, and the other two I haven't decided yet.

My changing table has 6 drawers - I posted those pics on the facebook group. The 3 big drawers each have disposable diapers, cloth diapers, and blankets. The 3 small drawers have bibs, crib sheets, and burp cloths.
August 26th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSteph View Post
Melissa have you checked out TheContainerStore.com?

I'm hanging everything that has shoulders. I put everything size NB or 0-3 months on pink hangers and everything 3mo-9mo on white hangers and I plan to always keep her current wardrobe on pink hangers.

We have a big bookcase - the top shelf is for books, 2nd shelf has 3 small baskets - one basket has rattles and teethers, one has smalled stuffed animals, and one has hats and mittens. The 3rd and 4th shelves have 2 big baskets - one for pants and bloomers, one for outdoor winter stuff, and the other two I haven't decided yet.

My changing table has 6 drawers - I posted those pics on the facebook group. The 3 big drawers each have disposable diapers, cloth diapers, and blankets. The 3 small drawers have bibs, crib sheets, and burp cloths.
I haven't looked at the container store- thanks! And, hey- good to see you on here

August 27th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Regular
hi!

I love the container store. i think it's owned by Crate and Barrel, so it's very expensive but high quality. next time i take my lazy self upstairs i'll take a picture of my bookcase.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search