Breast Feeding Moms.....what helped you most?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 3rd, 2011, 09:54 AM
teacher.123's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had breast surgery and was told I may never be able to breast feed, but I am able to! I would like to think my supply will increase, but the surgery could have effected that as well.

I'm 11 days PP and my supply is very low, so that I have to supplement an ounce about 2-4 times a day. Yesterday, she needed it 5 times! The last time I pumped I got about 20cc. I've been trying to have only baby suck, as she will drain them better. I also am drinking water and trying to eat yeast and protein.

What has worked for you as far as increasing your milk supply? Is there anything your doctor advised?

September 3rd, 2011, 10:22 AM
mamamerle's Avatar Super Mommy
I had reduction surgery after my first child and have actually had better success nursing the next two.

Nurse, nurse, nurse, drink water, water, water and eat good fats. If your supply is still low, try nursing tea.
September 3rd, 2011, 10:30 AM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! I am still new to the BFing thing but the things I've been doing are drinking tons of water (50-100 oz a day), eating the best I can despite my craptastic appetite, and taking both fenugreek and blessed thistle caplets. I don't know if everything I'm doing is "helping" but it's certainly not hurting. Miles is gaining and I'm able to pump 1-2 oz per breast on a cheapie little single pump - I know other moms can produce much more but compared to the supply issues I had with the twins I consider this a success!

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

September 3rd, 2011, 01:11 PM
Happy Mommy
you are doing great.

one thing I would suggest, is after she eats. pumps. that way you'll stimulate your breasts more encouraging them to produce more. and if you get out something after you can use that to suppliment her.

and if you only feed one side, still pump both sides.

and keep at it.
September 3rd, 2011, 01:18 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Lots of stimulation. Nurse every hour if she will, then pump every 2 hours. Everytime you give formula, pump so your b ody knows you need more milk. You can try fenugreek to increase supply but you have to stay on it even after your supply increases. You also have to take tons of it and you'll smell like maple syrup. Your doctor can prescribe domperidime (sp?). You have to get it at a compound pharmacy and insurance rarely covers it but it will increase your supply. I'd stay away from stuff like reglan. It made me have really bad depression and didn't help my milk supply.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
September 3rd, 2011, 04:12 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Ditto Ro and Rebecca. The more you nurse/pump the more you will increase your supply. I've never really had supply issues (actually have an oversupply problem) so I don't have much to suggest from personal experience, but I do know from everything that I've read that if you increase the demand, you'll increase the supply.
September 3rd, 2011, 07:43 PM
I was nursing every 2-3 hours during the day and 4 at night, but today I tried to do it every 2 hours during the day. It's hard to know that I won't ever get anything done. Even nursing every 3 hours I never got a shower or able to get myself food to eat. Tomorrow I'm going to try to nurse every 1-2, when I'm home.

September 3rd, 2011, 10:51 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Honestly, it sometimes sucks (literally too). I know they say babies can go 3hrs in between feedings but my kids have never been able to go that long until they were older. When I first brought them home, I nursed constantly, sometimes every 20min. They get better at nursing, you make more, and eventually they're able to go longer. It just takes time. You also become creative at showering, eating, etc with a baby attached to you.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
September 4th, 2011, 03:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am going to ditto everyone else on the standard advice. I am also going to throw out a great FUN option to increase breast milk production.....and that is....have a BEER and relax!!! The hops in the beer helps to stimulate milk production. I have read that you don't need to pump and dump after drinking.....(well I should say after having ONE.....I repeat ......ONE beer!!!) You can't go out and drink a six pack and then go breastfeed lets just make that clear!!! LOL!!! But anyways....have a beer after one of your feedings and you should wait a minimum of two hours before you pump/feed again.......what I have done is breastfeed .....have a beer...(blue moon...yum!!) then at the next feeding I feed her a bottle of expressed milk....and then I will be good to go for the next feeding. .....It could be that my supply is increasing naturally but since I started doing this there has been a BIG differnce in my supply the past few days!!!

Its worth a shot AND you get to enjoy a beer!!! oh...btw if you are not comfortable with the alcohol...you can drink non alcoholic beer and it has the same benefits with the hops!!! Good luck....let me know how it goes!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
September 4th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would say nursing every 3-4 hours isn't enough to get a good supply going. I nurse my LO every 1-2 hours during the day (and sometimes more frequently if he is in a cluster feeding mood) and then approx every 3 hours during the night. The more you nurse/pump, the more you will produce. I know how hard it is to get anything done with that schedule- you should see the state of my house!!!

Other than that, just remember to keep your water and calorie intake up. I've heard things like oatmeal are good for your supply, but I have my doubts. I ate a boatload of oatmeal with my last DS and it didn't do a thing.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
September 4th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Happy Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher.123 View Post
I was nursing every 2-3 hours during the day and 4 at night, but today I tried to do it every 2 hours during the day. It's hard to know that I won't ever get anything done. Even nursing every 3 hours I never got a shower or able to get myself food to eat. Tomorrow I'm going to try to nurse every 1-2, when I'm home.
once you get a good supply you won't need to nurse every 2-3 she'll extend out with her time.but soak it up while you can. before you know it she'll be a mover and a shaker and want nothing to do with laying and cuddeling with you
September 4th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Honestly, it sometimes sucks (literally too). I know they say babies can go 3hrs in between feedings but my kids have never been able to go that long until they were older. When I first brought them home, I nursed constantly, sometimes every 20min. They get better at nursing, you make more, and eventually they're able to go longer. It just takes time. You also become creative at showering, eating, etc with a baby attached to you.
Same here, with my first I was lucky to get a 30-60min break between nursing, and my second nursed every 2 hours. It's hard, but that is what life with anewborn is like. I'll hand Alexis off to DH so I can eat, use the bathroom and take a shower and that's how I get little breaks to do what I need.

I would suggest nursing on demand and offer both sides if needed. Nurse on on e side until she seems done then switch and offer the other side. If she still acts hungry after that, you can even offer the first side again. Here's a good link with information on low supply and a website about nursing after breast surgery:
kellymom.com :: Increasing Low Milk Supply
BFAR - Breastfeeding After Breast and Nipple Surgeries

Expecting baby #4!

September 4th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Not sure I can go every 2-3 at night. I do it every 4 hours. During the day today I nursed every 2 hours. We supplemented with an ounce at 12:15pm and 9:15 pm. Only 2 times today!

I've noticed my boobs tingle more today. Maybe it is the milk filling up again.

September 5th, 2011, 06:55 AM
caitbeans's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to caitbeans
Quote:
Not sure I can go every 2-3 at night. I do it every 4 hours. During the day today I nursed every 2 hours. We supplemented with an ounce at 12:15pm and 9:15 pm. Only 2 times today!

awesome!! good job mama!!!

\
September 5th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Happy Mommy
Quote:

sounds like it!!

Tags
breast feeding , milk supply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search