The Rock I've been living under O/T

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Hoping for baby #2
Since school has started I have been really busy but I wanted to share with you guys why. For those of you who are kinda new I lost my best friend to suicide in March and have changed my major since then to social working, with a minor in sociology with a focus in death dying and bereavement.
I have been writing a proposal to submit to my college to start a program for college students that raises awareness to suicide, and offer support group and resources for college students who are recovering from the loss of a loved one. We have counseling services at our college but we don't have any student based organizations that bridge mental health and the academic setting. I have a meeting with the dean at the end of the semester to pitch this organization but if all goes as planned I will have it ready for the spring semester.
Not only is it a huge step in my academic career, it will also set the foundation for programs like this at other campuses. It has been emotionally taxing on me but I know that I am doing it for the right reasons.

September 25th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Lorena26's Avatar ♥ Gio's Mommy ♥
What a great idea! I can't even imagine how much time and effort you have to put into that proposal (and will continue to), but i think its wonderful that you are doing it!

September 25th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Hoping for baby #2
The SO came in last night and took me to bed. Apparently I fell asleep at my desk with my head in the book lol. It is taking a lot of time, and so much red tape! There is a proposal for a public speaking tour starting next year. I am hoping that this can be successful enough that I can convince them to sponsor me doing it. If they will i would be touring colleges around the US showing the program and the ground work that it would take to get it established. I'm just going to take the LO with me Yay for baby wearing !?

September 25th, 2011, 08:10 PM
AprilJanellieBellie's Avatar Keepin Busy
That sounds like something that would be incredibly useful in a college setting, even for the older returning students. It's easy to become overwhelmed when you're in school, have a stressful job, or a bad family relationship. I wish you lots of luck.
September 26th, 2011, 08:00 AM
LookingGlassAlice's Avatar Pagan FTM
I sincerely hope you get this through! it would be invauble to many students!

More fundamental than religion is our basic human spirituality. We have a basic human disposition towards love, kindness and affection, irrespective of whether we have a religious framework or not. When we nurture this most basic human resource – when we set about cultivating those basic inner values which we all appreciate in others, then we start to live spiritually. - Dalai Lama

[/url]
September 26th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Snookums's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
best of luck Amelya, I hope it goes through. I think it would be really beneficial.
good for you for taking something that was so hard on you and so emotional and moving towards a positive outcome from such a sad situation

September 26th, 2011, 08:20 AM
And Baby Makes 3's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm really sorry about your friend. It's wonderful what you are doing though and many people will benefit from it. Good luck on your journey!!
September 26th, 2011, 11:57 AM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
Wow!! You're doing really really well for yourself!! Go you

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search