Adding cereal to formula???

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Regular
So my baby boy is approaching 3 weeks old and is extermly fussy at night. I have been told that adding a teaspoon of rice cereal to his bottle will help things...anyone hear of doing this? Is it safe to do at 3 weeks of age?

September 27th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I absolutely wouldn't do that. Babies only need BM or formula until 6 months.

Their little digestive tracts are still "open" until 6 months. Hence why the new recommendations are to wait that long.

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

September 27th, 2011, 09:36 AM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with PP. Plus, there's an added risk that the rice cereal will clog in the hole of the nipple and when it dislodges the baby could choke on it.

I've also heard that it doesn't really work.

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

September 27th, 2011, 10:03 AM
*~Lulu'sMommy~*'s Avatar Lexi's Mommy!
I agree, their bodies aren't able to digest it yet and could cause bigger problems. Jaxon doesn't sleep well at night either. He's up from 12:30ish to 3 or 4 just eating... I'm hopeing the growth spurt doesn't last long and we get more sleep soon!

The up all night thing usually doesn't last long before you know it they will be 5 and going to kindergarden!

September 27th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree as well. Early introduction of solids has also shown to lead to obesity and diabetes. According to our ped, this is an old wive's tale and most babies are capable of sleeping through the night when they reach around 14lb.
September 27th, 2011, 10:27 AM
hippie hugs's Avatar Proud Mama to a Preemie
Strange advice! But we mom's are always lookin' for ways to calm our fussy babies, aren't we?

I agree with the other ladies, though. That's definitely a dangerous suggestion.

What kind of fussy is your baby? Do you know what's causing the fussiness? Like gas pains, constipation, boredom? If you can determine what's making your LO was so uncomfortable at night, there are certain things you can do during the day to help at night.

Thank you Claire1979 for the amazing siggy!

September 27th, 2011, 12:25 PM
alicia1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I refuse to do it. MIL would tell me to add it to my DD's bottle when she was younger. Nope... DR brought up introducing solid foods like cereal at the last appt I had with Dominic. He said it's not necessary until 4 to 5 months and not to add it to a bottle.

Only one I know who would add cereal to a bottle was my neighbor who had a LO with bad acid reflux. Guess it helped him? I dunno. Wasn't my kid so I don't know if DR told her to do it or not.

September 27th, 2011, 12:34 PM
EricaLee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
I absolutely wouldn't do that. Babies only need BM or formula until 6 months.

Could not agree more! I am a firm believer that it is so unnecessary... I disagree when people say BM is not "filling" enough to have a baby sleep through the night so they add the cereal, so not true.... DD slept through the night(8hours) by 7 weeks just on BM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicmaid View Post
Early introduction of solids has also shown to lead to obesity and diabetes.
YES! Very TRUE! One of the purposes of the rice cereal is to train spoon feeding at 6 months of age... putting it in the bottle makes it just a filler, unnecessary filler.

Big time thanks to jmmysterymaker for my WONDERFUL siggie!

September 27th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think people get far too hung up on having baby STTN by a certain time. There is no magic "they can sttn" age or weight - in fact everybody wakes up at night, you just don't recall it. I'd probably leave a pedi who told me my baby was ready to STTN at a specific weight. My child will determine when they are capable of doing that!

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

September 27th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think the idea is that by that point they no longer "need" nighttime feedings at that point (usually around 3 months). Obviously not every baby will sleep through the night by three months.
September 27th, 2011, 04:43 PM
MsSilverSpec's Avatar Mama of 2 <3
Common misconception..I just read about this a few days ago. Introducing solids before 4 months (which is the minimum start time to do this) can cause diabetes, obesity and other issues and will not cause your baby to sleep any better.

I read somewhere that once babies double their birth weight and/or hit 3 months, thats when STTN may begin. Every baby is different!
September 27th, 2011, 07:20 PM
robinmichele87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've heard of some docs recommending it for babies with reflux..even then I've heard to only spoon feed as putting it in the bottle can choke them. DS1 had reflux but was put on Zantac..his doc still told us to hold off on cereal and solids until at least 4 months.
I wouldn't do it but I do understand wanting to calm your baby. Sometimes it's not just about us wanting to get rest but if they are overly fussy or uncomfortable we want to help them. You could look up some things to help with tummy problems in case it's that or talk to baby's pedi if you think there's something wrong.
October 7th, 2011, 01:30 PM
sunnysky24's Avatar Super Mommy
Dr recommended ading it to a bottle for Max's reflux but I only do it when i can't have him proped up at the right angle for a while before he lays down, but really BM has enzymes that will break down the rice cereal so it doesnt always work. Rice cereal is just empty nutrition at this point for your baby and putting it in a bottle can be a chocking hazzar. but ask your pedi he/she can tell you best.

]
October 7th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We don't introduce any solid foods until 6 months of age - and then cereal is not the first thing I give my babies.

Adding cereal to formula/or momma's milk in a bottle was really popular back when my DH's parents and my parents were raising babies - even into the early 90's it was encouraged. Doesn't mean it was a healthy idea for baby, it was just the popular idea.

To the OP, if you're bottle feeding, how much is your little one drinking at one feeding? Maybe try adding more 1 or 2 ounces of formula or momma's milk each feeding?

October 7th, 2011, 05:27 PM
2015 Offshoremama78's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinmichele87 View Post
I've heard of some docs recommending it for babies with reflux..even then I've heard to only spoon feed as putting it in the bottle can choke them. DS1 had reflux but was put on Zantac..his doc still told us to hold off on cereal and solids until at least 4 months.
I wouldn't do it but I do understand wanting to calm your baby. Sometimes it's not just about us wanting to get rest but if they are overly fussy or uncomfortable we want to help them. You could look up some things to help with tummy problems in case it's that or talk to baby's pedi if you think there's something wrong.
I was just going to say this, a baby in the NICU was on formula with rice in it because of spitting up and fussiness, the neonatoligist prescribed it..

Make a pregnancy ticker

Soy Iso Believer
ACM conceived with Soy Iso On 07/04/13
2015 baby concieved with Soy Iso, BBT, CM, CP

Alexander Cameron Murphy
02/27/2014 - 02/27/2014
October 7th, 2011, 06:37 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
terrible idea, please don't do it! People used to do this all the time when we were all babies ourselves but we now know how bad it is for them.
October 8th, 2011, 12:51 PM
ssherices's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggblue View Post
I was just going to say this, a baby in the NICU was on formula with rice in it because of spitting up and fussiness, the neonatoligist prescribed it..
My mom put it in my bottles and my ped recommended me give it to Dylan for reflux....but I chose not to after I gave it to him once and he couldnt poop!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search