Stealing?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2011, 12:02 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
If you attempt to pay for something at the cash register and the cashier doesn't scan it and you leave knowing that - did you steal the item? Or is it the cashier's fault for not doing her job properly? Or both?
October 3rd, 2011, 12:58 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
If a person left with an item without telling the cashier the mistake when you knew they were making one by not charging you, that is stealing to me.

Last edited by navywifey2003; October 3rd, 2011 at 01:49 AM.
October 3rd, 2011, 05:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Unfortunately It is stealing!!! LOL!! Sometimes I like to think of it as hitting the lottery....but nope its stealing!!! I am a bad liar anyways I always fess up if there is bottled water/dog food etc under my cart etc.....

although I will admit I have HONESTLY forgotten that I had items on the bottom of my cart and left without paying and I DID NOT feel guilty I felt good for the little bonus I got since I spend so much money in that store anyways!!! LOL!! Just being honest!!! ha ha!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
October 3rd, 2011, 05:52 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
If a person left with an item without telling the cashier the mistake when you knew they were making one by not charging you, that is stealing to me.
Even if you didn't realize it at the time, but later figure it out, you should go back and return the item or pay for it.
October 3rd, 2011, 06:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep, unfortunately it is stealing. The cashier should definitely be more careful and pay more attention, but it's still stealing.

We ate at IHop with DH's family yesterday and our waitress completely left off mine and DH's food AND drinks. We made sure we pointed it out to her because we would hate for her to have to pay for it.

October 3rd, 2011, 06:43 AM
wingqueen26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Agree with the above.

thank u quantum leap for my siggy

October 3rd, 2011, 07:21 AM
caitbeans's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to caitbeans
I too believe it is stealing, but I won't lie- I've gotten home with a case of water and didn't turn around to take it back.

\
October 3rd, 2011, 07:39 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you knew right away that the item wasn't scanned, it's stealing. Some people even try to get the clerk to "forget" to scan things by placing items inside of larger items or "forgetting" them in the bottom of their carts.
If you realize it later and you're at home, I can't call that stealing. That was an honest mistake on both the customer and the clerk's part. It is then up to you to decide whether or not you want to go back to the store. I wouldn't want someone getting in trouble or losing their job if their teal (sp?) comes up short. And I personally would go back for a pricey item, no questions asked. I would call the store and ask the manager how to proceed for smaller items. I did that before for a 2.99 box of crackers. The manager thanked me for letting him know, and told me to keep the crackers since the store wasn't very close to my house.

October 3rd, 2011, 08:35 AM
Happy Mommy
If you are watching and see it doesn't scan and dont' say anything that's wrong and dishonest.

if you don't notice, and figure it out when you get home, then I say their fault,, but should say something next time you go in. but not stealing since you weren't attmepting to steal the item, the blame would lay with the cashier. (unless it's on the bottom of your cart then your fault)
October 3rd, 2011, 08:58 AM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My conscience bugs me mercilessly if I do something like that. So yes, it's definitely stealing for me.

October 3rd, 2011, 09:08 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd say stealing.
October 3rd, 2011, 09:43 AM
alicia1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Stealing if you are aware of what's going on. One time I accidently stole a toy for Jordin because the cashier got side tracked and never scanned it. I didn't notice until we got home. I didn't go back and tell them what happened cause the store wasn't close to home. It wasn't a very expensive item.

But I really have to start paying attention to my change I get back from cashiers. I was at Target a couple days ago. Paid for my items with $40 cause I didn't have any smaller bills on me. My total was $23 something. I had Dominic in my arms trying to calm him down and wasn't paying attention to what the lady handed back to me. Turned out the jerk rang it in the computer that I had given her $30! I didn't notice until I was home and the store's 40 min away. Hope that lady enjoyed her $10 bonus.

October 3rd, 2011, 10:17 AM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it is if you notice while actually going through the till, if you get home and honestly didn't notice until then whatever, lol

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
October 3rd, 2011, 11:22 AM
First Timer!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishblessing View Post
I think it is if you notice while actually going through the till, if you get home and honestly didn't notice until then whatever, lol
this is what i think as well .. im not going to go back to the store and waste my time and gas cause they didnt ring something. BUT if you knew and didnt say anything while at the store say at the checkout ... then thats stealing because you knew you were going to walkout with something you didnt pay for.

if i notice in the parking lotr .... ? hrrmm thats a tough one. to be honest id have it eat at me so id go back and pay unless .. i was super super cant buy food broke .. then id call it a gift from karma or w/e i duno ...
October 3rd, 2011, 12:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If I notice once I get home, I would not be going back to the store. Yes, it's still stealing, but I think the circumstances are different then if you notice the cashier didn't ring it up and you choose not to say something.

October 3rd, 2011, 03:19 PM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With the noticing when I get home, I think it just balances out all the times I get overcharged by accident. Neither happens frequently, but I think they happen about equal amounts.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search