white noise

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 4th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Veteran
Has anyone used white noise...such as hair dryer to calm a fussy baby?
I am a skeptic by nature but I tried it yesterday evening and it was magic.
I don't want my baby to be depended on it but once in a while....i think it should be ok.
what do you all think?
October 5th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Without even realizing what I was doing I noticed Chauncey always falls asleep when I'm vacumming or running the bathtub.
Now I have an ap on my phone which has about 10 different noises for baby to relax to. Last night he fell asleep to "dripping water"

I don't see anything wrong with it. In fact most people, including adults, use white noise to sleep. Usually we don't realize it. White noise can be any constant sound that isn't music. Various items in our bedrooms make a white noise such as ticking clocks, breathing of our partner, buzzing of an outdoor light, or humming of electric cords.
I think the white noise (click, buzz, humm, click) of our swing puts Chauncey to sleep as much as the rocking action.

Last edited by lrowe70; October 5th, 2011 at 12:55 AM.
October 5th, 2011, 04:55 AM
caitbeans's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to caitbeans
I play music a lot; last night we slept to the dave matthews pandora channel; it relaxes him i think and i can sleep through his grunts. i know it isnt white noise though.

\
October 5th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep, noises like that help us sleep. Brynlee falls asleep, calms down, etc when I have something playing. One of my co-workers got us this little sea horse that you push her belly and it plays songs AND "ocean" sounds as well as having a light up belly. Brynlee likes it and it calms her down.

I took a nap without our fan on and it took me forever to fall asleep. It can't be TOO quiet in the room!

October 5th, 2011, 05:29 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Savannah sleeps with a sound machine

DH & I have one that's the sound of rain & since she sleeps in our room, she does, as well.
We got her own sound machine for when she starts sleeping in her room.

I think it's great to have because it drowns out other noises (especially during daytime naps) & gives them a sense of familiarity & comfort.

Plus, it's so small (the sound machine) you can bring it anywhere, so if you are going to hang out at a friends for the day or your in-laws for a week, they have that familiar noise & comfort to help them sleep better in other places.

As you can tell, I'm a huge proponent of white noise haha

That being said, when the BM was in labor, the sound of Savannah's heartbeat on the monitro made me SO tired because I associate those white noises with sleep.lol
October 5th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes, we use white noise at night and usually keep it on during the day too. We just switched from a fan to humidifier in our bedroom and being in there seems to calm her when she is fussy.

Expecting baby #4!

October 5th, 2011, 07:34 AM
babi_lovin11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to babi_lovin11
Carter LOVES it, I never realized it before and he was going threw his fussy period (starts around 6pm) and I noticed every time the phone rang, or I used the vacuum he would go off to sleep. So I started turning on the white noise thing on his swing he goes to sleep right away. If you turn it off he will wake back up!
October 5th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Veteran
Like everyone else has said, white noise is great! We currently have a humidifier set up in DD's room and it works great. It helps drown out the noise of the tv while we're watching after she goes to bed. I also run it during her afternoon naps.

Wife to Kevin, mom to Lillie and Travis

October 5th, 2011, 08:07 AM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're a whole family of white noise lovers so Miles is no exception. He falls asleep to the sounds of the fan and humidifer every night in our room.

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

October 5th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I have a white noise app on my phone. I can choose between hair dryer, vacuum and a few other sounds, which I can't think of right now. It works for Keelan most of the time.
October 6th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Happy Mommy
we have a giraffe that makes white noise, she's hit or miss if she likes it

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search