I have a completely different baby! (about this week)

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh my, what an adventure this week.

Ayla is a very high needs baby to start with, but it just seemed like more than that. When she was super tiny, I brought her to the hospital because she would throw up an entire meal. Well, they said she *may* have reflux, but they didn't give me anything.

Well, on Sunday she was just miserable. We were going on day 4 of her not eating much, and she just would not stop screaming. I mean, she screams every.single.night from 6-10pm or longer, but those 4 days she would wake from a dead sleep and scream, and nothing I did helped except holding her upright and bouncing.

Well, I called telehealth (a provincial healthline), and they told me to go to the hospital. I went, and we got in right away. I had noticed that the poor girl did not gain an ounce in a week.

This was where the trauma started. The doctor didn't really listen to me because I said "Her stomach is bugging her," and he was like "We need to get a head xray." I was kind of confused, but later realized that he thought I hurt my baby!! He came to that conclusion after he stuck the thing in her ear to look for an infection, and she freaked right out on him. Just like her momma, she hates those things. Anyways, after poking her head a few times he gave up on that theory.

However, he did order blood work, a urine test, a stomach xray (my nephew had a twisted bowel as a kid, so they wanted to rule that out), and an IV. That was the worst hour of my life. Ayla is a really loud screamer. I had to go all the way down the hall, and into another corridor in order to not hear her. I came back 20min later, and they informed me that they just did the catheter, and hadn't even tried the IV yet!!! So, another 40minutes, and I came back, and she was a mess..... and they still didn't get it in. They gave up for a couple of hours. The doctor then ordered an ultrasound for the morning. From 4-7 we slept. My poor girl was so wiped out, and her cry was now almost non existent because she had strained her vocal cords so much. Even today it is like that.

In the morning we did the ultrasound, as well as a chest xray. Everything was fine, except that she has sludge in her gallbladder, as well as one of her ovaries is on the higher side of normal (no idea what that means). She also had her urine come back with some growth, so we had to go back on Wednesday to get it redone, which came back fine.

The blood work came back with high WBC, so they did a repeat, but they wanted to keep us 24hrs just to make sure. Well, her next set came back fine, so they sent us home with a prescription for zantac because they thought that she had reflux.

Well, do you think I could find ANY drug store that carried that stuff?! Nope! the distributor was no longer providing it, so I had to get another script called in for Prevacid. They have to actually make the compound, and it takes a full day to do. You also need it to get remade every 2 weeks, so thankfully it is covered by my drug plan because it is $60/2 weeks otherwise.

I just got it yesterday, and even with her shots...she was a completely different baby. She did not cry AT ALL last night. The only time she did was when she was hungry, and when I took her out of the bath. It was amazing. This morning I put her in her bouncy chair, and she was smiling away at the lights. This is totally new, as I could never put her down before, and I would rarely get a smile out of her.

I will forever be indebted to the makers of prevacid.

I really hope this is the start of a new, happier chapter of my baby's life. I am not going to lie....I was getting really concerned, and pretty beside myself with the screaming every night. I think I've called my sister in tears almost every night because she just wouldn't stop, and nothing that I did made her happy. I felt like such a failure.
October 7th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
OH my gosh!!!! I hope this is the cure!! That would be amazing!

October 7th, 2011, 07:15 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Omg, this broke my heart!
Poor baby girl & I can only imagine how many years of your life you have lost due to all the stress of seeing your baby go through all that!
SO sorry you both had to go through all that!

Reflux medicine was sent to us from the heavens, I swear it! ha
So glad it's working for her & I hope things only get better from here!

Get some rest, Mommy!
October 7th, 2011, 07:15 AM
inlove08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aww I'm so so glad your peanut is okay. I'm so glad the prevacid is helping.

Emma too is on Prevacid. And she has been totally different. Still has her cry baby spells and acts up at times, but I get way more time where she is not screaming now. So Ayla would just cry at night? Or non stop all the time?

Thank you Vicki.... for my beautiful siggie!!!
October 7th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes, it was horrific! I never cried so much in my life. I was a mess lol.

Ayla would cry whenever he eyes were open, and I wasn't holding her while standing. If you sat down with her, she would scream. Also, with feedings she would latch on, pull off, scream....repeat. It was a lot worse at night time, but still happened during the day.

When I had acid reflux, it would always act up worse at night too.

How much is Emma on? Ayla takes 3.3ml once a day
October 7th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Aww poor baby. Emma would just cry non stop if she wasn't sleeping or eating. Was horrible.
Emma takes half of a 15 mg dissolveable pill. So 7.5 mg I guess. I put it in a syringe with 2 ml of water and let it dissolve and then give it to her. How is your prevacid taken and such? You mentioned a compound.... Hmmmm....

October 7th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I guess what they do is crush up the pills, and mix it with liquid? Ours is in liquid form. It tastes like complete butt. I am going to ask them to add some flavour next time lol.
October 7th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Super Mommy
Glad everything got figured out!!
October 7th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Aww poor baby. I hope the prevacid keeps working for her.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

October 7th, 2011, 08:40 AM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So glad they gave you meds that work. Nothing sadder or more frustrating than having a reflux baby in pain.

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

October 7th, 2011, 08:52 AM
LOL Ya at least Emma's prevacid pill is orange flavored. I think anyways.... She hates the griddy 1st portion. Then when the griddy pill is gone she drinks the little bit of water no problem.
I'm super glad that they figured it out hun. I know your frustration and sadness. Emma still cries ALOT. I don't know why. i have her tired cry down, but not sure why she cries otherwise.

October 7th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry you (and Ayla) had to grow through that. I was in tears just reading your post.

However for prevacid!!! I'm so glad you got an answer and it's working for her. You both must feel so much better now.
October 7th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
poor peanut!
the twins were on Prevacid, they had to compound it here too for them-they just kept them on the same dose and let them outgrow it and stopped it at 5months adjusted-it was a lifesaver
October 7th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This made me cry. Poor little sweet pea. I'm so glad you took her in!!

William Jeffery, born 8/1/11
Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
http://www.anilandcontinuied.blogspot.com/
http://reverendanissa.blogspot.com/
October 7th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hoe stressful! I'm so glad something worked and will definitely be praying that it continues to work for all the babies

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!
October 7th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Poor baby! What an ordeal! I'm so glad the meds are helping!
October 7th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Poor girl, I'm sorry you had to go through that just to find out she has reflux. It seems like many of our doctors here try that first before doing more invasive procedures ??

Expecting baby #4!

October 7th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So glad she's happier now!

October 7th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
Poor girl, I'm sorry you had to go through that just to find out she has reflux. It seems like many of our doctors here try that first before doing more invasive procedures ??
They usually do, but because I mentioned that my nephew had a twisted bowel they wanted to rule that out. I guess they wanted to rule other stuff out as well, but they didn't really tell me what. They had already given me the script for the reflux before they did all the tests. It was a nightmare, but at least I know she is pretty much healthy all around.

She still does cry, but just not 100% of the time. She is a bit cranky today and sleepy, but that may be because of her shots yesterday.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search