Early morning wondering...

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2011, 07:11 AM
hippie hugs's Avatar Proud Mama to a Preemie
Watching Baby's First Day and reading through your ladies' various birthing stories makes me really wonder about my labor.

My early contractions weren't really painful - they felt more like menstrual cramps that I just couldn't soothe. I managed to sleep through most of them while in the hospital (since my water broke exactly on the dot of my 33rd week). When I had become fully dilated, those contractions were even less painful than those in the beginning, which seems .. Odd to me?

Was my labor so "easy" because of how small Roan was? Or are contractions not determined by the size of the baby?

Should I expect future pregnancies and labors to be as easy as the first (which I heard was always the worst, LOL), or is that kind of up in the air?

Thank you Claire1979 for the amazing siggy!

October 7th, 2011, 07:50 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I didn't feel like my contractions were that hard until I was almost fully dilated! I think a lot of it is mental. If you go into labor and have your first contraction thinking "OMG this is going to hurt so much!" then things are probably not going to go very well for you. If you kind of ignore it and find ways to distract yourself it won't be as bad. I was still in denial that I was even in labor about an hour before I had my baby LOL!
October 7th, 2011, 08:33 AM
It also depends on how the baby is situated. Mine was flipped with his face up(sunny side up) and so I had horrible back labor from 4-7 cm, after 7 it eased up and then the pushing stage was nothing. my midwife had me on my hands and knees starting at 36 wks because she felt him flipped and said it would be a lot easier for me if he flipped the right way but Caleb was stubborn! I had my husband giving me back massages to get through it, my back was so bruised the next day but it was worth it.
October 7th, 2011, 09:26 AM
robinmichele87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie+3babies View Post
I didn't feel like my contractions were that hard until I was almost fully dilated! I think a lot of it is mental. If you go into labor and have your first contraction thinking "OMG this is going to hurt so much!" then things are probably not going to go very well for you. If you kind of ignore it and find ways to distract yourself it won't be as bad. I was still in denial that I was even in labor about an hour before I had my baby LOL!
I don't think it's that much mental. lol! I went in with my first thinking I had to be making good progress and it would probably go smoothly bc I'd been contracting regularly for almost a week..l&d with him was horrible. Whereas this time I expected a lot of pain and difficulty bc I was being induced and labor was pretty much a breeze. lol.

I would think that going earlier would make labor harder..bc your body wasn't fully prepared yet. I don't think size would affect anything but pushing. All I can say is every delivery is different. I was surprised at how different my two were. *Usually* the second is easier and for me it was for sure..but I have heard people (even girls here in the DDC) who have had more than one baby and may be on their 3rd or 4th and have a really hard l&d. So it really just depends on a lot of factors, most of which we have no control of.
October 7th, 2011, 11:30 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I don't think that labor contractions are determined by baby size at all. It is determined by how hard the uterus has to work to open to cervix. And how far it has to move the baby down into the pelvis.

So in that sense, you did not get off "easier" than anyone who had a full term baby. That said...don't expect your second labor will be just as easy or easier. My first son was born au naturale and I never even *thought* to want pain medication. The contractions were not that painful the entire time and I was up joking around at 9cm and walking the hallways. I progressed regularly and had no complications in labor at all.

Little guy number two...completely different story. I ended up at the hospital WAY too early because we thought he was breech. He had flipped...but also had some pretty good meconium staining. So I ended up on monitors more than I wanted to be, which hindered my progress. So I had pitocin. And that stuff had me GLUED to the ceiling, screaming for an epidural (which I did not get).

So yeah. I was a little "deluded" into thinking I would sail through my second labor because my first had been sooooo easy. And it did not turn out to be the case. Thankfully, my son was born healthy and without incident, so it turned out fine. But my first labor was a breeze compared to my second one. And a lot of that is circumstances as well.
October 7th, 2011, 11:51 AM
hippie hugs's Avatar Proud Mama to a Preemie
Roan sat low the entire pregnancy, and when they weren't trying to stop my dilation, I sailed straight to 10, no problem. So in that regard, he made transitioning into active labor very, very easy.

The hardest part I'd say was trying to hold on to him. So the exact opposite of what I was supposed to do! But when a baby says, "Hey, mama, coming almost two months early!" what else can you do?

Considering all the things I went through with just Roan, I'm wanting to bet that in comparison, my second will be much easier - on my body and on my nerves! And with everything we're still going through with him (bless his healthy little heart), I can only hope baby #2 will be a cake-walk, LOL.

Pitocin's pretty nasty stuff. It makes your contractions stronger, harder, and more painful - so that may be why your pain was on a different scale with your second, Ashlee. But who knows! Maybe my water won't break like it did with my little guy, and I'll need my midwife to intervene.

I like to think that my lack of pain is due to my ridiculously high pain tolerance. I'm not easily hurt, and despite having murder menstrual cramps, the contractions of labor were nothing like I expected. But maybe I was in denial, too, Katie! Lol. I didn't want to be in labor yet! I didn't want to ruin my waterbirth/homebirth experience by having a preemie!

Thank you Claire1979 for the amazing siggy!

October 7th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The contractions were not as bad as I expected. My mom said "the worst pain I have ever eperienced." "the valley of the shadow of death". I did get an epidural but more because I couldn't focus on anything and was exhausted and was hoping to sleep. Not that is was easy, just not the excruciating pain I was expecting.
October 7th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Mom2twolittlemen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2twolittlemen Send a message via MSN to Mom2twolittlemen
I want to read my birth story once its posted. I go into full detail of everything. For the first 36 hours it wasn't bad. Then it got harder and transition was very difficult. I made it through it though without pain meds. I think everyone varies as far as pain goes and our tolerance to it. Transition was the hardest thing I have ever endured. I would do it all over again though.

October 7th, 2011, 06:18 PM
EricaLee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure at all cause mine were so different from each other...

With Madison I was a scheduled induction and I went into labor on my own after the cervidil and my water was intact till after my epi, never had pitocin and as soon as I had pain I asked for an epi... to me they hurt BUT when I had Kaitlyn I learned that was NOTHING!

With Kaitlyn I had pitocin and my water was broken, and I believe I got to experience transition, wow, it was painful... WOW OUCH... I moaned and groaned and whew it was rough, would do it again in a second and a tiny bit of me regrets getting an epi cause I had made it that far (not by choice the anesthesiologist was backed up) the only reason I can say I don't is cause I did have a fully functional epi, I could move and everything!

So I had 2 very different experiences, they were not similar to compare... my best guess is it was worse with Kaitlyn cause of the pitocin and not having my water bag intact. I don't really think the 1lb difference between the 2 affect it but it could have?

Big time thanks to jmmysterymaker for my WONDERFUL siggie!

October 7th, 2011, 06:38 PM
MsSilverSpec's Avatar Mama of 2 <3
Both of mine were different. With my son, I had back labor but I was able to breathe through those contractions and made it without an epi. The labor was only 11 hours and I pushed for 20 minutes.

With Aniela, it was different. Labor was 18 hours and I ended up pushing for 45 minutes. She sat posterior and the back labor was way more intense. I went into labor on my own with her. I could only do it at home until my contractions were 7 min. apart because no matter how much I breathed, tried different positions etc. it was not helping!! I ended up getting an epi because the pain was so bad I probably would have broke both hospital rails on each side of my bed!! The transition was awful too..I never felt so much pressure in my life.

So it can be different each time depending on your body and baby position!
October 8th, 2011, 09:29 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
My son was posterior and I had back labor the WHOLE time plus pitocin cranked all the way up because I was being induced early that was pretty rough...I still didn't get an epidural though.

this labor was much better, especially because it was so fast (4 hours) and I was in denial most of the time anyways lol!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search