new born clothes

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Regular
I hope you guys dont mind me posting here.

First , congratz on all the new arrivals. Enjoy every moment.

I am shopping nowadays, and i am confused as to which clothes size i should buy.

which size r u guys using the most

Newborn upto 8 lbs. ( shoud i even bother buying this size?)
0-3 ( will this be too big for first few days? )
6-9

any advice would be appreciated.

edited to add: i am having a girl and i see these really cute knit tights and such. do new borns wear those? will they be too fitted for them?

Last edited by mirabelle2011; October 7th, 2011 at 09:06 AM.
October 7th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Cwright's Avatar Super Mommy
Congrats on your baby girl! As far as clothes, I didn't think I would need nb size clothes but I did! My baby girl was 7lbs 15oz at birth and fit perfectly in NB clothes and still does (she's 3wks old). The 0-3 mo. clothes are all too big for her, although she can fit some things it just depends on the maker. I plan on buying tights for her for the winter months, she'll be 3 months by Christmas so I think she'll fit them perfectly.

Thank you Babydoll213 for my Siggy!

October 7th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I have 10lb babies so I don't bother with newborn sizes lol. Everything I have is 0-3 months and 3-6. The great thing about bigger clothes is you can roll the sleeves and legs but smaller clothes... you can't make those fit.

October 7th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My DD never fit into newborn - she was 8lbs9oz and very chubby. DS was 6lbs13oz and I only had a couple of things that fit him, had to go get some newborn stuff for him.

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

October 7th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It really depends on the size you think your child will be. Neither me nor my hubby were big babies and our daughter was measuring small so I bought lots of newborn clothes. Well, she can't even really fit into those yet. She was born at 6lbs 4oz and fits mainly in premie. She only has 2 sleepers that fit her - the newborn are huge and her legs get up in the tummy area and the feet of sleepers hang loose - lol!!

I'd personally buy at least some newborn - unless you think your child will just be huge. Just keep the tags on the newborn items and that way if baby doesn't fit they can be returned.
October 7th, 2011, 10:15 AM
EricaLee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My daughter was born at 7lbs 14oz so it was nice to have a couple newborn things but they are tough to get over her head and it is just easier to use the 0-3 or 3mo... 3 month is for 8-12lbs.... it is a bit baggy on her but much easier to dress her.... At her 2 week she is already 8lbs 15oz so I really didn't need the newborn, but it does still fit.

With my first daughter she was 6lbs 14oz, she work newborn for about 6 weeks

What I have figured out is once it fits nice and snug they have already 1/2 way outgrown the next size if that makes sense?

Big time thanks to jmmysterymaker for my WONDERFUL siggie!

October 7th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My dd wore preemie clothes for the first two weeks, and she was 7 lbs 3.3 ozs at birth. She will be 3 weeks on Monday, and she's wearing newborn size right now. I've put a couple 0-3's on her, but they are still really big - she swims in them!

Like others have said, depends on the size of your baby!

Congrats on your little one!

October 7th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Momma2BraylonandMadeline's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Momma2BraylonandMadeline
I'm glad we have some newborn clothes but I wouldn't go crazy unless you are expecting a small baby. Our little girl was 7 lbs 11oz at birth and at her two week weight check today she is 7lbs 14oz and still fitting into newborn clothes. The 0-3 clothes are too big yet for her. DS was in newborn clothes for about a month he was 7lbs 3 oz at birth. I have just been doing more laundry the first few weeks. We got a lot of clothes as gifts so I am just washing the items she is wearing with the new clothes right away so that I have a more full load and not doing just two or three outfits every few days.

Thanks claire1979 for my adorable siggy!

October 7th, 2011, 11:47 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I think it actually tends to depend on their length at birth. My son was 8lbs, 4oz at birth...but was 21.5'' long. At 2 weeks he had hit 22'' long. And even though newborn onsies-tees fit great...anything long sleeved or sleeper needs to be 0-3 month for his height. He is prolly around 9lbs now and is wearing 0-3. It is baggy around his skinny limbs and he still has PLENTY of growing room in the sleeper-length. But the arms are perfect fit and the pants are perfect (over his cloth diaper).

If it were me, doing it all over again (knowing what I know from both boys), I would buy at least 1 pack of 5 onsies, about 6 sleepers, a couple bodysuit-pants sets, and maybe a dress (since you are having a girl) in newborn size. Then, if she is small or not terribly long, you have enough to get you through a week or two (washing frequently) to see how quickly she grows or if you need to hit the store.

My oldest was in newborn clothes for about 3 MONTHS. He was born at 6lbs, 10oz and was a very slow-growing baby. He caught up by a year and was "normal size" for his age. But I never would have expected to need newborn for so long with him. And now...this baby wore about two outfits of newborn and we have moved on.
October 7th, 2011, 12:07 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
My first 2 babies only fit into preemie clothes and my 3rd was in 0-3 at birth!!
October 7th, 2011, 12:11 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Haveing 1-3 nb size outfits can't hurt. And socks to help keep feet in the footed jammies . I had 3 outfits and it turned out to be ok. I could have used more. Some 0-3 fits depending on the brand. She is getting a little long for newborn.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

October 7th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My little lady was in preemie to start out with. I didn't have any when she was born so Dh and MIL had to go buy stuff while I was in the hospital. Then She had a huge growth spurt and pretty much skipped NB size and went right into 0-3 months. She was in NB size for seriously a week to a week and a half.

October 7th, 2011, 05:43 PM
robinmichele87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well I guess my kids are the odd ones out..lol. They were practically the same size at birth. Archer was 8lbs 1oz and 20.5" (Xander was same length and 1oz heavier). They both fit into newborn for a few weeks. Newborn stuff was still kind of big for Archer until about 2 weeks and 0-3 was huge. He's 1 month tomorrow and weighs 10lbs and he's wearing a NB sleeper right now. He fits into 0-3 well now too so right now it's either/or.
October 7th, 2011, 05:59 PM
sarahe210's Avatar Veteran
Abby is 5 weeks old and most preemies still fit her. She was 5 lbs. 13 ozs. at birth and 18.5 inches long. By her 1 month check up she weighed lbs. 11.2 oz. and was 22 inches long! Onesies in preemies fit and some others but she is too long for most of them. Unfortunately the newborns are huge width wise still. Nothing really fits her well unfortunately.

You really have no idea until they are born but I would definitely get some newborn.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

Last edited by sarahe210; October 7th, 2011 at 07:02 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search