Food Issues

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2011, 10:30 AM
Veteran
Hey Ladies!

I need some help. We are having MAJOR food issues with Reid. We can barely get him to eat anything at all! He is iffy on his bottles...taking 4 or MAYBE 5 ozs at a time. Our poor babysitter has to stick the darn bottle in his mouth a million times over the course of the day just to get him to eat. Then on top of that he really has no interest in food. He likes yogurt, with Happy Bellies rice cereal, mixed with fruit. He will eat a few bites of your bread etc. He likes cheese and will eat that.

Our pedi said that he has dropped to the 56 percentile for weight. A few weeks ago he was 20 pounds...can't remember his length. But he did have two new teeth come in over the past month and now has a new one coming in again.

I've been cooking his foods myself and finally just decided to start buying jarred foods in an attempt to get him to eat SOMETHING! My pedi says that he should be getting a meat every day with veggies???? He is eating yogurt and will eat some of the meat foods if we mix it with that. If you don't put yogurt in it then he WON"T eat it!!!

As for veggies he'll get whatever is mixed in. Maybe sweetpotato and some squash. He's not getting any green veggies at all.

I feel like I'm failing him as a mother! My friends kids are freakin' vacuums that will eat anything! He also has NO interest in finger foods! Like AT ALL! And NO interest in the sippy cup. We tried it but haven't really pushed because we are spending so much time trying to make sure he takes his bottle etc.

Is anyone else having this problem? BTDT Moms is there something I'm doing wrong??? He is with a babysitter now and he is the only kid she watches but we do want him to go to daycare next year and I'm concerned he is going to be too high maintenance! HELP!!!!!
October 31st, 2011, 11:59 AM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
One of my boys was very slow to eat foods. He would only eat a few things and really only wanted to breast feed, he just seemed to tolerate certain foods. I had to mix baby cereal in all babyfood to get him to eat any of it and he wasn't too excited about table food for a long time. I remember he would eat those fruit grain bars and a couple other things. Now he'll eat just about anything.
October 31st, 2011, 12:30 PM
Veteran
That's encouraging! Thanks! I forgot that yes we have to add baby cereal to everything too. Wondering if it's a sensory texture kind of thing. I hope we didn't scar his too much forcing him to eat too early. Maybe he wasn't ready for solids when we started. He screams at the site of the high chair! I have to feed him in front of the TV
October 31st, 2011, 06:05 PM
Veteran
For the past 4 months or so, we have been struggling too with our DD. Our main problem is that she doesn't want to nurse. I have to add pumped BM to each of her 3 meals so I know at least that she is getting 9 ounces of milk at the minimum. She only nurses twice a day now. As for solids, if I distract her with something in BOTH of her hands, she will eat. I'm talking about small containers, coasters, pretty much whatever is in the kitchen. She jumped to the 50% at her 9 month appt and now weighs 18 lbs. She will take a sippy cup though so when I wean her when she turns a year, we shouldn't have any problems which at least that will be a good thing. Try keeping his hands distracted.
October 31st, 2011, 07:14 PM
Rockstarmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't worry about the weight percentile. Sam barely gained half a pound in the last two months and he eats like a horse. He weighed 19lb 9 oz at his last appointment and he is 29.5". I think babies move at their own pace. All you can do is keep offering it and he will accept it when he is ready. One thing is for sure, YOU ARE NOT FAILING AS A MOTHER!!

October 31st, 2011, 10:49 PM
monkeymama2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I sympathize. I went through heck with my first daughter in eating. She did ok on baby food, but when we started finger food is when it went downhill. As a toddler she was terrible. Now that she's 5 she's fine. I mean, still pretty picky, but eats much better, even some veggies. I just want to say that even though there were MANY days I thought she was starving--she wasn't. She is totally fine and healthy. My son was a little better but still is picky and rarely eats dinner. Ruby is my redemption---she eats ANYTHING and loves to eat. And I didn't do ANYTHING different with her. My point is---YOU haven't done anything wrong. Kids are just different!!
November 1st, 2011, 10:20 AM
Veteran
Thanks Ladies! I asked his babysitter to give him some fresh fruit today really cut up. Maybe he'll like that! Ugh babies!!
November 1st, 2011, 07:22 PM
Veteran
One thing I have learned to to just keep offering them the foods. Sometimes it can take over 20 times before the eat it. I don't worry so much with the meats as I do the veggies. Plum organic baby food has some great fruit and veggie combos. Even the spinach is good (i usually try them before giving them to Em). We have the issue with getting her to drink the formula. We make 6oz but there are times when she only takes 3. And then the times where we make just 4 she cries for more. You can always add the poly-vi-sol vitamin drops (if you are not already) to his yogurt once a day to make sure he is getting all his vitamins. Don't worry it gets better.

November 2nd, 2011, 06:37 AM
Veteran
What are those ? I've never heard of vitamin drops I think we need those!
November 2nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Veteran
Enfamil make them. You can also find store brand. here is the link to the enfamil site. I usually find them with the childrens vitamins.
Enfamil Poly-Vi-Sol - Multivitamin Supplements - Enfamil

November 3rd, 2011, 12:30 PM
Veteran
Thanks!!!
November 3rd, 2011, 12:53 PM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian79 View Post
That's encouraging! Thanks! I forgot that yes we have to add baby cereal to everything too. Wondering if it's a sensory texture kind of thing. I hope we didn't scar his too much forcing him to eat too early. Maybe he wasn't ready for solids when we started. He screams at the site of the high chair! I have to feed him in front of the TV
I remember thinking that he didn't like strong flavors/textures. We started him after 6 mos and it was probably closer to 8 months or so before he started thinking about eating solids when we offered. He was nursing fine so I never worried. Do you think the flow of his bottle is too slow or fast or maybe he's distracted and that's why his bottle intake is iffy. We accidently gave Beth a bottle that had a fast flow nipple and she wouldn't drink it, of couse it was obvious it was coming out too fast and choking her. She also gets distracted easily when nursing or drinking a bottle if she is fighting sleep.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search