My Ferber Experience....:::Updated Nov 9th:::

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 6th, 2011, 02:07 PM
ma2b2010's Avatar Super Mommy
Just wanted to follow in Rockstar's footsteps and chronicle my Ferber experience, in hopes that someone may find this useful.

Ever since returning to daycare in September, my LO has gone from STTN to waking up 2 to 3 times at night. Recently, it has reached a point where I have to sleep with him on the floor. He will shriek until one of us picks him up, and when we do, he is out cold.... until of course, we put him back in the crib again. So, it is purely separation anxiety and the need to be close to his mommy and daddy.

I've been adamantly against the CIO method... but being a full time working mommy who needs to wake up early, commute long distances, and return home to take care of him during the evenings, I need as much energy as possible... and I wasn't getting any with sleep deprivation.

After speaking to several people who have CIO'ed and have perfectly normal children who are well into their teens or adulthood, I decided to give it a shot a week ago and I failed miserably.

However, after reading Rockstar's post, I tried to mirror what she and her husband did with their LO. (Thank you Rockstar for sharing your experience). I liked that this is not full fledged CIO where you leave you LO to cry until he/she stops. I like the idea of checking in every 5 to 10 minutes.

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...-take-two.html

So lastnight,

7:30pm - fed bottle (with rice cereal) and put LO down to sleep awake in crib. LO stood up and began crying.

7:45 - After 10 minutes of shrieking, I went to the room and checked in. LO was standing up, crying. I patted him and gave words of reassurance, put his pacifier in mouth, and promptly left the room. Note: I did not lay him down.

LO began shrieking and shrieking... and I stayed outside in the livingroom and tried to keep myself busy. I felt awful but stuck to it.

7:55 - Checked on LO after 10 mins, and repeated above steps.

8:00 - Miraculously, LO laid himself down and fell asleep

8:40 - LO began crying again

8:55 - checked in after 15 mins, and saw that he cried so hard that he vomited up some milk... It wasn't a lot but still... it broke my heart into pieces but I've read that you must clean it up and move forward. So I cleaned up the vomit, put a flannel sheet on top, and repeated the above steps.

9:00 - LO laid himself down and fell asleep

11:00 - woke up, crying,

11:20 - checked in after 20 mins (as I noticed he was intermittently crying), repeated above steps

11:25 - quiet.... LO fell asleep

11:35 - snuck into room and LO was asleep.

Midnight - heard a cry... and then quiet.

5:00 - LO woke up after 5 hours of sleep! Unbelievable.. He hasn't slept in his crib 5 hours straight since the end of August!

So that's my experience from lastnight. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tonight.

April 21, 2010 11 DPO

1st ultrasound May 13th! CRL 7.5mm and visible heartbeat!

EDD: January 1, 2011

Actual Birthdate: December 22, 2010 to a baby boy!

Last edited by ma2b2010; November 9th, 2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Update
November 6th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Veteran
Sending positive thoughts your way. We did this a few months ago and she adjusted a lot easier and quicker than I thought. Everything is so much better for us now (naps and bedtime). Sometimes she cries at night but that's usually because she can't find her paci and then goes right back to sleep.
November 7th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Jennyt13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like a very trying, but successful first night! Keep it up - and keep us posted!

Michael Joseph Born 1/14/11 at 2:46pm
Baby Christian - born into heaven at 22 weeks gestation - 7/14/12

Starting IVF/PGD - September 2012
47 eggs retrieved (OUCH!)
38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied
3 embryos - 2 boys, 1 girl are waiting to be transferred - transferring 1 boy 1 girl on first FET!!!

2/12/13 - FET - Cancelled due to fluid in the uterus
2/20/13 - Hysteroscopy scheduled - 1 polyp removed.

4/10/13 - FET - 2 embies transferred as planned! 1 boy 1 girl!
4/22/13 - Trying to wait to test - Beta scheduled!! -
7/31/13 - FET - 1 embie transferred - 1 boy
8/7/13 - 7dp5dt - - but very light
8/9/13 - 9dp5dt - - no mistaking this one!
8/12/13 - 1st Beta scheduled - 64
8/14/13 - 2nd Beta scheduled - only 10
03/03/14 - FET #3 - 1 embie transferred - 1 girl
3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
3/17/14 - HCG rose to 151!!!
3/20/14 - HCG rose again - 630! Nurse was in shock!
3/27/14 - Ultrasound scheduled - HB Found! 6w1d 124bpm
4/3/14 - Second Ultrasound - Still doing well!
4/14/14 - First OB appointment - looking good!
November 7th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Crystal713's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Crystal713
Thats great! Hopefully it just gets easier and easier from here on.

November 7th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Veteran
Thanks for the post. After 10 months of not sleeping I think we are going to do this when we return from 2 weeks in Florida. Since it's not getting any better...and no one is getting great sleep I think it's time. I also like the idea of checking. Funny thing is that I have the stomach for it. My husband doesn't. I actually might do this in Florida while my husband isn't there to get him started early. He always caves before me...I think I can do it if I'm on my own!
November 7th, 2011, 02:36 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so glad you got some sleep. I hope tonight goes well for you too. I was surprised how quickly Natalie adjusted once I was consistent and followed through with not responding to every little cry. I hope it keeps working at your house too!
November 7th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks for your support ladies!

Night 2 (Sunday Night):

This was a tricky day. After a very busy day house hunting as a family, LO was pooped out and slept from 5pm to 10pm on the floor!!! I think it was a combo of CIO'ing the night before and being out of the house all day.

Nonetheless, we fed him milk with rice cereal and he became tired again.. and we put him to bed at approx 11.

11:00pm - put in crib awake. LO cried, I comforted, and left the room.

11:15 - after 15 minutes of crying and wailing, I checked in and repeated.

11:20 - asleep

Midnight - crying, checked in, left room

12:10 - after 10 mins of crying, checked in, left room

12:30 - crying then whimpering... and then silence...

4:30 - woke up.

Not bad, despite LO waking up pretty early. However, if I'm sleeping in my own bed and LO is sleeping in his own crib and I'm not rocking him or sleeping on the floor, then I consider this a success.

Night 3 - LO went to bed at 7pm, woke up at 7:45pm, cried for 10 minutes, I comforted him at around 8:00pm, and he cried for less than 10 minutes... and then silence... it appears he's finally learning to self-soothe to sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian79 View Post
Thanks for the post. After 10 months of not sleeping I think we are going to do this when we return from 2 weeks in Florida. Since it's not getting any better...and no one is getting great sleep I think it's time. I also like the idea of checking. Funny thing is that I have the stomach for it. My husband doesn't. I actually might do this in Florida while my husband isn't there to get him started early. He always caves before me...I think I can do it if I'm on my own!

LOL, you sound like me and my husband! Although it's still rough, I can handle it better than my husband (despite the fact that he has been the one pushing to do this).

On Saturday, my husband had a guy's night out.... so I figured it was the best opportunity to try ferberizing with LO on my own. Personally, I felt stronger without my husband and was able to focus better. Similar to your husband, my husband would also be the first to cave in and that would make me feel guilty.... and so then I would eventually cave in.

So, I definitely think it's a good idea for you to do it on your own! You can definitely do it!

April 21, 2010 11 DPO

November 8th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Veteran
Exactly! The worst part is that my husband can't stand to do it when it's bedtime. But come 2 or 3 in the morning he doesn't wake up! So I told him last night that he needs to put him down and leave him! Unless he wants to wake up at 3 in the morning..which he doesn't. I told him he's not helping me or Reid. He just feels bad because he doesn't get home from work until 7:30 and really doesn't see Reid that much during the week. Which I understand but I say make it up on the weekend! Last night I kind of started.... checked in after 5 minutes. Left room and then was planning on checking in after 10 mins but he fell asleep after 8 mins! He woke up at 12:30 to eat and then promptly went back to sleep. I think he cried a little during the night but I was so tired I didn't wake up LOL. He finally woke up at 5:15. But with daylight's saving time he think's it 6:15. Not bad!! I'll start again next week when DH isn't there The real test will be if my parents can handle it!
November 8th, 2011, 10:20 AM
NiKA's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good to hear it's getting better. It's so tough. We're in the process here too. It's hard because you have to stay consistent and I don't know about you but that's the hardest part for me
November 9th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Night 3 (11/7): LO slept through the night!!!
7:00pm - LO went to bed
7:45 - woke up crying
8:00 - went into room and comforted
8:07 - asleep
5:45am - woke up!

Night 4 (11/8): LO slept through the night!!!

6:55pm - put LO to sleep, crying
7:00 - asleep
7:40 - woke up crying
7:43 - asleep
5:00am - woke up

So far so good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian79 View Post
Exactly! The worst part is that my husband can't stand to do it when it's bedtime. But come 2 or 3 in the morning he doesn't wake up! So I told him last night that he needs to put him down and leave him! Unless he wants to wake up at 3 in the morning..which he doesn't. I told him he's not helping me or Reid. He just feels bad because he doesn't get home from work until 7:30 and really doesn't see Reid that much during the week. Which I understand but I say make it up on the weekend! Last night I kind of started.... checked in after 5 minutes. Left room and then was planning on checking in after 10 mins but he fell asleep after 8 mins! He woke up at 12:30 to eat and then promptly went back to sleep. I think he cried a little during the night but I was so tired I didn't wake up LOL. He finally woke up at 5:15. But with daylight's saving time he think's it 6:15. Not bad!! I'll start again next week when DH isn't there The real test will be if my parents can handle it!

Not bad??? That is awesome!!! I'm so glad you were able to get some sleep! KUP, I'm curious to see how this works out for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiKA View Post
Good to hear it's getting better. It's so tough. We're in the process here too. It's hard because you have to stay consistent and I don't know about you but that's the hardest part for me

I hear ya. When I see him crying, I just want to hold him so soooo badly. I just hope he reaches a point where he doesn't cry when I put him down in the crib. It's just so heartwrenching.

April 21, 2010 11 DPO

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search