Yearning to nurse?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 15th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Rockstarmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am looking for some insight from BTDT moms who have weaned. We are doing pretty good with weaning. I still do the overnight nursing and I alternate skipping the AM or PM nursing if he will let me get away with it. But everyday around 3pm or so, it's like he just HAS to nurse, almost like he can't take it anymore. I know he isn't hungry. It's just more of a comfort thing. He will melt down and the second I put him to breast, he just gets this huge grin of satisfaction on his face. And he really isng nursing much, just kind of playing and smiling and looking at it like "you're mine" lol

I thought midday would be the easiest to cut out but it's the hardest. Will he grow out of that soon? Anyone else experience anything similar?

November 15th, 2011, 08:41 AM
kdmommie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I weaned my first son at 8 months it was so easy. He didn't care one bit. He was very laid back about everything. He would take a bottle or breast, formula or BM, warm or cold, didn't matter. Logan is so much different. We are in the same boat as you Jaime. I still nurse quite often but if I try to go for too long he gets needy. Like you said I know he isn't hungry he just wants his boobies. I tried to give him a formula bottle a few weeks ago. He would not take it. Then last week I tried to give him a BM bottle, he wouldn't take that either. Next week we are going to try cow's milk in a sippy cup. So I really don't have any advice but wanted you to know we're going on the same journey.

November 15th, 2011, 11:05 AM
NiKA's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I weaned my oldest DS. He was a little older (I think around 14-16months i can't remember)

He really liked his breakfast and bedtime milk. So those were the hardest. What I found worked for those times (it may be different because he's a snack guy )
But I would feed him food I know he loved, then offer milk right after. So he could 'fill up' on other food first. I also got to the point where I only offered one side.

Or maybe you can try offering sooner, say 2pm but for less time....Does he have an afternoon nap? Maybe play around with what time he gets his food (before or after nap) to see if that helps.

Sorry I can't help more
November 15th, 2011, 10:29 PM
mauiamy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wish I had better advice for ya. We are weaning too..altho this little girl is so freakin independent and laid back she could care less about loosing the boob during the day! She does like her night time and morning boob which has been a BIT of a problem since my supply has dropped dramatically that when she wants it in the AM or night time she gets made cause not much is coming out. So then I have to hand over a small bottle after her quick nurse session...maybe try that?
Altho I think I'm having a harder time giving it up then her, I just cant believe that our babies are almost 1 year...**sigh**

Annette Marcel born 1/22/11 8lbs 8oz
November 16th, 2011, 12:31 AM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
if you really want to wean him, my best advice is to go away and leave him with DH for like 2 or 3 nights. i have heard of toher people doing that and it worked for them, i haven't personally done it though.

but in imho i think if would be beneficial to keep nursing him, even just for that one 3pm session a day. winter is coming and our LO's are more likely to get sick. giving him some antibodies from your milk every day may keep him healthier this winter.

i respect your decision to wean, i just wanted to throw that out there, since it sounds like he is not ready.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
November 17th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Rockstarmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm still nursing him in the am and will continue to do so until Dec 9 when I have my first overnight gig. I was thinking that might be a good time to do what you said about leaving him I have been able to cut that midday one by substituting food. That is the one I wanted to cut the most so I can work without pumping. I do appreciate everyone's advice, and I will keep up the morning ones the longest. I can't believe I made it this long! Never thought it in a million years that I would!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search