Thanksgiving Traditions

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2011, 07:13 AM
azrunningmom's Avatar Julie S
What are some traditions that your families do for Thanksgiving? Will you be doing anything new now that you have a new LO or another LO?

We don't really do much in regards to Thanksgiving. I have always run a Turkey Trot in the morning but this year, we are not agreeing on if I will or not. I want to but DH doesn't think it's a good idea because we are cooking at home. Last year and this year we are hosting the turkey at our house. I'm hoping this becomes a tradition. DH's mom/dad (step dad) and his Father and step mom and half brother all live here along with step mom's brother and wife and kids. So unless we do it at our house, we won't spend it with everyone together. I actually really like having a house full of people for Thanksgiving. Last year we did a sort of potluck dinner but this year, I'm cooking because I want to know what's in everything since Taylor will be able to eat more stuff. This year I'm also planning on hitting up Toys R Us at midnight!!
Baby Taylor arrived on 01/04/2011 at 9:26pm weighing 7lbs 8oz and 19 inches long

November 16th, 2011, 03:06 PM
afauce
We always have dinner at my moms. The day before thanksgiving I go to my moms and we make all the pies. DH and I also go to his Aunts house later in the day after dinner with my mom. Then I always go shopping the day after. Last year was the only year I missed since I was on kinda bed rest.
November 17th, 2011, 03:14 AM
MomtoParker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We spend Thanksgiving with our friends instead of family. We are doing Thanksgiving this weekend with his side. There have just been so many divorces/remarriages and other situations, that it is way more enjoyable to have Thanksgiving with friends.

We won't do anything different this year because of Parker. It will pretty much be the same!

November 17th, 2011, 07:07 PM
bcmommy0409's Avatar Super Mommy
We will go to my parents in the afternoon as usual. We usually have DH's Aunt, Uncle and two grown cousins over in the evening but this year his cousin just moved into her house, so we are going over there. I am TOTALLY fine with that, because then we can leave when we need to for the boys and not have to worry about throwing their schedule of because of loud company.
Hudson Joseph 12-28-2010
November 18th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Jennyt13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Let me start by saying I love love LOVE thanksgiving!!!

The first year Dh and I were together - we went nuts, eating at his mom's, and then an hour later dinner at my moms! We said no way the next year - when we had our house - we were going to host both families.

So - we do! We have the inlaws and my parents over each year. My brother rotates with his inlaws, but will come for dessert the years he goes to their house.

We the turkey with all the fixings. Stuffing, sweet potato pudding, mashed potatoes, cranberries, corn casserole, green bean casserole... dessert is pumpkin roll and this year I think we are getting a blizzard cake too.. yum!

Michael Joseph Born 1/14/11 at 2:46pm
Baby Christian - born into heaven at 22 weeks gestation - 7/14/12

Starting IVF/PGD - September 2012
47 eggs retrieved (OUCH!)
38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied
3 embryos - 2 boys, 1 girl are waiting to be transferred - transferring 1 boy 1 girl on first FET!!!

2/12/13 - FET - Cancelled due to fluid in the uterus
2/20/13 - Hysteroscopy scheduled - 1 polyp removed.

4/10/13 - FET - 2 embies transferred as planned! 1 boy 1 girl!
4/22/13 - Trying to wait to test - Beta scheduled!! -
7/31/13 - FET - 1 embie transferred - 1 boy
8/7/13 - 7dp5dt - - but very light
8/9/13 - 9dp5dt - - no mistaking this one!
8/12/13 - 1st Beta scheduled - 64
8/14/13 - 2nd Beta scheduled - only 10
03/03/14 - FET #3 - 1 embie transferred - 1 girl
3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
3/17/14 - HCG rose to 151!!!
3/20/14 - HCG rose again - 630! Nurse was in shock!
3/27/14 - Ultrasound scheduled - HB Found! 6w1d 124bpm
4/3/14 - Second Ultrasound - Still doing well!
4/14/14 - First OB appointment - looking good!
November 18th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our Thanksgiving Dinner will be the following Sat since dh, my mom and I all have to work. If we eat with family on Thanksgiving then we always cook our dinner on Saturday so it will not really be any different for us. One thing we stared doing a few years ago was making hand turkeys. I put them in a scrapbook and it has been nice to look back and see how they decorated them and how little their hands were then and where new hands joined us since we started doing it. I wish we had started it sooner.
November 18th, 2011, 10:30 AM
azrunningmom's Avatar Julie S
oh, I really like the hand turkey idea!! I might have to copy that idea
Baby Taylor arrived on 01/04/2011 at 9:26pm weighing 7lbs 8oz and 19 inches long

November 18th, 2011, 09:49 PM
mauiamy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^^I do this in my classroom every year... I paint my students fingers yellow, red, orange and brown (for the feathers) and the palm brown for the body. They put a "wiggly" eye on the thumb and we have a great poem that goes with it. I plan on doing it with Annette this year too, so fun I get to do things with my OWN child now
I have pictures of it, I will try and post them...

Anyways...we have no family around ***weep**weep***
So we will just be doing Turkey day with the 3 of us. We normally go to the mainland every OTHER turkey day year, but this year since we just bought a home and it closes on black friday we need to stay on the island...so yea, 2 more turkey days until we are with family again (unless they come out here which they normally do on the "off year" like last year) I LOVE turkey day since my mom's side of the family always made a big massive deal out of it when I was a child, they are the typical midwestern home cooked meals. I'm excited to pass that on to Annette

Oh and on Black Friday I ALWAYS set the house up for Christmas...it's a tradition ...CANT WAIT!!!

Annette Marcel born 1/22/11 8lbs 8oz
November 19th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We don't really have any traditions that we do every year. But this year we are going to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

November 21st, 2011, 06:40 AM
midwifemama's Avatar Veteran
We do the Turkey Trot every Thanksgiving. This year DD will be joining us- I am so excited for her first year. It is very family friendly, we even bring the dog. We do two sometimes three meals and i don't like it! We are blessed to have so much family so I feel very guilty complaining about it, but we have even done four meals before. Its ridiculous going to my dad's side of the family, my mom's side of the family, DH's side of the family, my step dad's side of the family, etc. We are already trying to work out the Christmas puzzle so we can please everyone (but ourselves ).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search