Winter Coats

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2011, 05:31 PM
midwifemama's Avatar Veteran
What are all you cold climate moms doing for winter coats. I bought a winter coat with snow pants from Osh Gosh and it is so puffy she can't fit in her car seat correctly so right now I just have her in a fleece hoody when we go out with a hat and gloves, but its getting too cold for that. I am not sure what to do b/c her thick coat just won't work for her car seat and its a major pain in the butt to take her coat off and on in the car to put her in her car seat. Its annoying enough to have to shove her in it while she's crying without dealing with all the coat fluff and car seat and all that ordeal!
November 18th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Mom to 4 girls!!
I bought a down Columbia one piece with cuffs that cover hands and feet. It is made so that the down unpuffs and fits easily into her car seat. I love it.
Quinn Olivia Born at home Jan.13th, 2011, 7:37 am 9 lbs. 12 oz

November 18th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Veteran
Right now we use one of the little bear suits from carters. I also keep a blanket in the car. We dont get too much snow so I am not sure if I will get a big puffy suit or not.

November 18th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Heavy coats in carseats are dangerous. I use the remote start on my car and bring the kids out of the house and into the car without jackets. Then they each have blankets in the car.

November 19th, 2011, 04:07 AM
camevil's Avatar Veteran
I just had to check into this issue last month, learning that the poofy coats/snowsuits are not safe for use in carseats. We ended up getting a fleece convertible coat from target. We use mostly the fleece inner jacket right now, and it seems to work well when using a blanket. heavy courderoy pants and a hat that covers the ears.
November 19th, 2011, 05:12 AM
bcmommy0409's Avatar Super Mommy
We are struggling with this too! It gets very cold and snows a lot here. With my older two I had one piece fleece columbia snow suits for them that worked out great. Hudson is in a 24 month though and I cannot a fleece snowsuit in his size anywhere. I did notice that old navy had fleece one piece suits too, but still not big enough for my guy. Last winter I used just a fleece jacket and loaded on the mittens and hat for my two year old. I figured when we we going anywhere in the car we were pretty much running from the car into wherever we were going, so he was fine. I saved the thick coat for when we would be outside for a length of time.
Hudson Joseph 12-28-2010
November 19th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Mom to 4 girls!!
I know that heavy coats are a no no in car seats. The down one Piece I have is super thin like a fleece and allos the car seat to fit perfectly. I like the idea of the remote starter but wouldn't want to be without a coat in a snow storm.
Quinn Olivia Born at home Jan.13th, 2011, 7:37 am 9 lbs. 12 oz

November 21st, 2011, 06:30 AM
midwifemama's Avatar Veteran
I found an interesting solution- the car seat poncho. My parents are going to get her one so I will let everyone know how it goes. The Car Seat Poncho - the safe easy alternative to a bulky winter coat
November 21st, 2011, 08:03 AM
Jennyt13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My concern wasn't in the car - but once I take him out of the car... I do the remote start thing too - and then I have a fleece jacket with a hood on it for now - later I will put a hat on him too. I'll keep a blanket in the car - but really, we only plan to take him out places where we will be running him into the store quickly. If we decide to let him play in the snow - we will have to buy him a snow suit!

Michael Joseph Born 1/14/11 at 2:46pm
Baby Christian - born into heaven at 22 weeks gestation - 7/14/12

Starting IVF/PGD - September 2012
47 eggs retrieved (OUCH!)
38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied
3 embryos - 2 boys, 1 girl are waiting to be transferred - transferring 1 boy 1 girl on first FET!!!

2/12/13 - FET - Cancelled due to fluid in the uterus
2/20/13 - Hysteroscopy scheduled - 1 polyp removed.

4/10/13 - FET - 2 embies transferred as planned! 1 boy 1 girl!
4/22/13 - Trying to wait to test - Beta scheduled!! -
7/31/13 - FET - 1 embie transferred - 1 boy
8/7/13 - 7dp5dt - - but very light
8/9/13 - 9dp5dt - - no mistaking this one!
8/12/13 - 1st Beta scheduled - 64
8/14/13 - 2nd Beta scheduled - only 10
03/03/14 - FET #3 - 1 embie transferred - 1 girl
3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
3/17/14 - HCG rose to 151!!!
3/20/14 - HCG rose again - 630! Nurse was in shock!
3/27/14 - Ultrasound scheduled - HB Found! 6w1d 124bpm
4/3/14 - Second Ultrasound - Still doing well!
4/14/14 - First OB appointment - looking good!
November 23rd, 2011, 02:43 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I tried using the fleece cover from last winter. I really wish I had a video camera of Natalie's little hands bursting through the head opening and ripping the cover off the car seat. HA!

I've been using a stocking hat with the ear flaps to keep her head warm. I buckle her into the seat and then tuck a blanket around her. She won't keep it over her head or hands. We really only go from the car into the day care and back and it's not that cold yet. I'm not sure what I'll do when it gets really cold. Probably walk faster!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search