Are you happy with...

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 28th, 2011, 08:58 AM
midwifemama's Avatar Veteran
Are you happy with your work situation? Most of the time I am. I only work part-time, usually about 30 hrs a week. I love what I do so I don't want to give it up completely, but sometimes I wish I could work closer to 15-20 hrs per week. We would be broke if I did that though since DH is a full-time student
November 28th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am about to be happier with it. I was working 8 hr shifts so I got 2 days off a week. One week it would be Sat and Sun the next week, my other days would be Monday after I worked the weekend and Thursday before I work the weekend. I feel like I'm ALWAYS working. Starting Dec 7th I'm going to work some 12 hr shifts. I'll work a 12 then an 8 and be off 2 days. I'll work 3 12's every other weekend, but I'll now have a 3 day weekend and 3 days. When it all breaks down I'll work 7 days during a 14 day period while I was working 10 out of 14. I think I will like it much better. Only thing is now that I'm expecting again I am already thinking about after I have the baby. 12 hrs is a long time to be away from my baby....I may have to go back to 8's. I'm hoping dh will have a different job and maybe I can drop down to part time. but we've got some time.
November 28th, 2011, 10:13 AM
NiKA's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I work from home. I work on writing articles and stuff for a company. So I can work when I want. BUT...I like to procrastinate. Which makes the deadlines all the harder, because then I want to work longer and it's not so easy with kids.

I would say I only work a few hrs a week on average. But around deadlines I'll work at least 1-2 hours a day, or if I can have someone watch the boys I'll do an 8hr day.
November 28th, 2011, 10:26 AM
azrunningmom's Avatar Julie S
I would MUCH rather be a SAHM in a heart beat! Right now I work for a bank, and have been working on the conversion for the past 2 1/2 years. Well, that is over with and I have been trying to find a permanent position within the bank for a year now and there's nothing. I float around right now helping out other offices, but I Hate it. We could totally afford for me to stay home too, but DH wants to retire early so that means I work unless we have #2.
Baby Taylor arrived on 01/04/2011 at 9:26pm weighing 7lbs 8oz and 19 inches long

November 28th, 2011, 02:48 PM
bcmommy0409's Avatar Super Mommy
Sad to say that I am not happy with my work situation at all. I am not really sure what I can do to make things better, but things are just not working right now. I usually work anywhere from 7:00-4:30 and I am solely the one in charge of getting the kids to and from daycare and everywhere else that they need to go. I currently have no daycare or way to get my oldest son to and from school and am extremely stressing about it.
I would love to find a job that I could work from 9-3 everyday, and then I would no longer have to worry about getting my son where he needs to be.
Hudson Joseph 12-28-2010
November 28th, 2011, 03:32 PM
MomtoParker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For the most part I am happy. I am a teacher, so it is great having long breaks and the summer off with him. The nights are a little rough because I have so much to do for work when I get home at night. I can say that I don't do near as much as I used to. I try to get it all done at work, and only bring home a little. I think I am in a good place though.

November 28th, 2011, 04:46 PM
afauce
I am a teacher and I love it, but living in California...I am an unemployed teacher. Money is tight and I am on sub lists...along with 400 other people so jobs are few and far between. I have been looking elsewhere and am always looking for teaching jobs, but they are not usually hiring until the end of the year.

It is nice to be home with the baby though and I am thankful for the time i have with him. BUT I miss working.
November 28th, 2011, 05:13 PM
brie_91's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
NO! I feel like I spend no time with Sadie anymore. I work 9-6 M-F. I usually don't get home til around 7 and Sadie goes to sleep at 9:30. Luckily I have the weekends to spend with her, but I miss her a ton. Love my job, hate the hours
November 28th, 2011, 09:52 PM
mauiamy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoParker View Post
For the most part I am happy. I am a teacher, so it is great having long breaks and the summer off with him. The nights are a little rough because I have so much to do for work when I get home at night. I can say that I don't do near as much as I used to. I try to get it all done at work, and only bring home a little. I think I am in a good place though.
Couldn't have agreed more. Pre-kids I use to be that teacher who stayed late, took things home, worked in my classroom on weekends, etc. Now I leave school between 2:30-3:00 everyday and I hardly every go in on the weekends anymore. If I do it's really quick since I have Annette with me, and letting a crawling baby go loose in a kindergarten classroom is not always the easiest thing! Ha!

Honestly, I would love LOVE to work part time. Like teach 2 or 3 days a week. I LOVE working and being independent and feeling fulfilled, especially with educating our future...BUT full time AND breastfeeding is very hard...the guilt is by far the worst part. I think it would be different too if she was being watched by family members instead of a daycare...

Either way, I feel fortunate for all I have

Annette Marcel born 1/22/11 8lbs 8oz
November 29th, 2011, 04:10 AM
midwifemama's Avatar Veteran
It is really hard to balance work like everyone is mentioning. Its a constant struggle between balancing work, mommy, and finances. I find it easier on days when I get home early. Luckily about half the time I am home by four. When I don't get home until six it makes the week so long b/c I feel like its go home, put DD to bed, pack for the next day and start all over again!
November 30th, 2011, 07:01 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I struggle trying to balance everything with working, taking care of Natalie and keeping the house running. If DH would help out more, I think I would be less stressed.

My job is really stressful and having Natalie has helped get my priorities back in line. Before I would think about my cases constantly and really carried a lot of it home with me emotionally. It's hard to be surrounded by people at their worst day in and day out. Natalie helps me leave work at work and focus on her when we are together.

I say now that I would love to stay home with her but I was dying to get back to work in April. We could afford it if I wanted to stay home but I really don't. It is liberating to know I could quit anytime I want though.
December 3rd, 2011, 09:40 PM
Alv07's Avatar Veteran
I currently stay at home, but I also didn't work before I had Adeline. When I was living in Germany it was awful trying to find a job. I would love to find something part time, but I am not sure if it makes sense money wise, because then I have to find a sitter and then pay a sitter probably more then half of what I'd be making. Where I love most of the jobs are doing something medical, and I do not have a medical background. Overall, I am happy I was able to stay at home with her, but I really wish I had something else that helped me use my brain a bit.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search