Table Foods nor a non-self feeder

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Veteran
So Reid still refuses to feed himself but at the same time he seems to hate the texture of baby food. He will only eat oatmeal and yogurt (now with blueberries and strawberries blended in) without fighting. When it comes to pasta baby food, meat baby food (i.e. blended in) he fights me and I can only get a few spoon fulls in. He is only 20 lbs 10 oz and was 19lbs 6 oz (I can't remember his height) at his checkup in October. We've had a bunch of colds and other stuff going on (fevers etc.) so the doctor gave him a pass but she wants him to get back on a growth curve by January.

She hasn't given me ANY ideas of what I should feed him. She said Stage 3 foods (which he hates) and that he is too young for table foods! She also says he should have breakfast, lunch and dinner plus 32 OZ of formula . On average I can get about 20 oz in him...32 oz is not going to happen.

I need some ideas on what I can feed him. He still isn't ready to feed himself but hates most baby foods. I'm at a loss and can't seem to get anyone to give me real practical information. "Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner" isn't very helpful to a first time mom!

Also when you guys say that you give your kids cut up peaches, carrots etc. how much are they really eating?

THANKS!
December 15th, 2011, 10:36 AM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I give natalie the pear halves out of the can. I usually start her with three halves and then give her more if she's eaten all of them. She had mandarin oranges last night and she nearly ate the whole can. She must have eaten 30 mandarin oranges. When I give her corn or peas, I start her off with a soup spoon full and then give her more if she finishes them off. She loves chicken so I give her 10 or so pieces of chicken. With other meats, I start her off with one or two pieces to see if she'll eat it.

Will Reid let you feed him regular food? Sometimes I'll feed Natalie and that makes it more interesting. We've played here comes the airplane. I've pretended to eat something in order to get her to try it.

ETA: He is definately not too young to eat table food. That's almost all Natalie eats anymore. And 36 ounces of formula is crazy. Natalie doesn't drink anywhere near that much. I'm not sure she drank that much when she was EBF.

I'm just going to post again rather than editing.

Will he eat the gerber puffs or the baby mum mums? We started with those when we started solids and it got her used to feeding herself and the new textures.

She loves graham crackers and Nilla wafers and goldfish too.

Last edited by markswife; December 15th, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
December 15th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Veteran
What if you dilute the baby food with the formula? Brit is a horrible eater and gags on everything!! So I mix some of my pumped milk with all of her baby food. She is definitely not getting 32 oz of milk either. Maybe 18 oz or so (I nurse her once a day, put 4 oz of milk with her food plus oatmeal 3 times a day and then offer a sippy cup a lot during the day as well. I think she weighs 19 or 20 lbs as well. She was 18 lbs at her 9 month visit.
December 16th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Jennyt13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok - i recognize that each baby is different, and perhaps your pediatrician is giving Reid special dietary needs based on something specific for Reid. That being said - at his age? He's definatly ready for table foods! My pediatrician said 10 months to begin modified table foods - which just means that you give him what your eating, but modify it for a baby. Cut it smaller, or use less spices.

Here is what Michael had yesterday:

Breakfast: Cereal (I still give him baby cereal since he likes it) with fruit on the side (He will eat a full tub of mixed fruit - I use Dole in 100% fruit juice, no artifical sweetners)

Lunch: Pasta pickups (now these are designed for baby to feed himself - but they work real well with a baby fork!)

Snack: Yogurt

Dinner: Spinach and cheese tortelini tossed with olive oil and paremsan cheese (with italian seasoning and garlic), with green beans on the side. He had a thing of mixed fruit after, since he still seamed hungry.

Yesterday - he had about 21 ounces of EBM. I no longer BF - so he just gets the EBM.

Doc says between 24 & 32 at his age. So - saying AT LEAST 32, is ALOT! She wasn't concerned at all when I told her he didn't always take 24 either. Granted, Michael is on the big side (25 lbs the last time I checked) - but, i would still think he needs the same nutrients no?

I would say start feeding him some table food from a spoon/fork. Anything goes really - just watch the size of the bites, and try to avoid eggs/honey/nuts/shellfish...

I agree with the gerber puffs, yogurt snacks - whatnot. Try those out and see how he does!

Michael Joseph Born 1/14/11 at 2:46pm
Baby Christian - born into heaven at 22 weeks gestation - 7/14/12

Starting IVF/PGD - September 2012
47 eggs retrieved (OUCH!)
38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied
3 embryos - 2 boys, 1 girl are waiting to be transferred - transferring 1 boy 1 girl on first FET!!!

2/12/13 - FET - Cancelled due to fluid in the uterus
2/20/13 - Hysteroscopy scheduled - 1 polyp removed.

4/10/13 - FET - 2 embies transferred as planned! 1 boy 1 girl!
4/22/13 - Trying to wait to test - Beta scheduled!! -
7/31/13 - FET - 1 embie transferred - 1 boy
8/7/13 - 7dp5dt - - but very light
8/9/13 - 9dp5dt - - no mistaking this one!
8/12/13 - 1st Beta scheduled - 64
8/14/13 - 2nd Beta scheduled - only 10
03/03/14 - FET #3 - 1 embie transferred - 1 girl
3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
3/17/14 - HCG rose to 151!!!
3/20/14 - HCG rose again - 630! Nurse was in shock!
3/27/14 - Ultrasound scheduled - HB Found! 6w1d 124bpm
4/3/14 - Second Ultrasound - Still doing well!
4/14/14 - First OB appointment - looking good!
December 16th, 2011, 08:07 AM
jaime9's Avatar Veteran
I agree he is def ready for real food.Anthony hasn't had any baby food (including the baby cereal) in I don't know how long.
He refuses it

here is what I feed him (not all at once!)

breakfast
-cereal/nutrigrain bar
-rice krispies/wheaties w whole milk
-any type of bread or muffins
-instant outmeal (w either water or formula)
-french toast sticks
-pancakes
-scrambles eggs

Lunch
-pastina or any type of small elbow/star pastas w a small amount of butter
-p&j sandwich
-cold cut sandwich

Dinner
-whatever we eat (ground beef,chicken,pork...)
-rice
-green beans etc..

Snacks
-cheese slices
-cheerios
-lorna cookies

I give a bottle maybe once a day and he nurses at night
December 16th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Veteran
Thanks everyone. My pedi annoys me most of the times. She finds plenty of issues but not very many solutions. I.E. the feeding plan that she gave me was clearly from some source that is outdated. It says to give him "pudding" WTH kind of snack is that for a 11 month old? It says to offer him juice 3 times a day! And also "cookies". UGH. If she wasn't so close to my house I would find someone else! He doesn't have any dietary needs at all. He just picky. I did give him a grilled cheese sandwhich last night which he loves!

Now when it comes to eggs and meats he just holds it in his mouth and doesn't swallow. I'm not sure whats going no there!
December 16th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Veteran
I'm going to print out what you guys posted and pick some items to start with. Good idea about the fork. We have a set of baby forks I'll try with those. I need to be more firm with his sitter about what he gets. I don't fight with her too much because I know how difficult he can be. But I really need to try to get some more solid foods in him. The pedi just got me all confused as to what he should be getting! thx again!
December 16th, 2011, 12:31 PM
monkeymama2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh man, most pedis say no juice at all! And pudding?? Definitely outdated. He is so ready for table foods. And as the mom of 1 reformed picky eater and one still picky 3 yr old, don't stop giving home regular food, and don't cater to pickiness if you can. Oh and ruby doesn't get 32 oz of BM/formula---I'd guess 20-24. She eats a lot of regular food. Very little baby food.
December 17th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Tennyson
Conor eats:

Baby oatmeal, fruits( not with skins) like banana strawberries pear
He eats Berber yogurt snacks, cheerios
Small homemade bran muffins
Small ww pasta like elbow with small amt butter
Peas, carrots
Some baby food particularly veggies
Yo baby yogurt
Some meats
Small cubes of cheese

Generally 3 bottles a day, 5 oz on wake up
5 oz as pm snack
6 oz at bedtime

Pedi wants him at 16 oz or less at 1 yr because then he'll get milk and she doesn't want him to fill up on milk because of not enough nutrients.

He drinks water from a straw type sippy cup other timesvduring the day.!
December 21st, 2011, 08:08 AM
Veteran
Thanks Ladies! Spoke with a nutrionist the other day and she said she wanted me to focus on carbs. He had a whole pancake yesterday! And apparently likes sliced peaches!! Maybe we'll figure this eating thing out afterall!
December 28th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Veteran
Just giving an update we are doing much better! Still have some improvements but I took a combination of what you guys said and he is now eating:

Breakfast
Oatmeal w/ baby food fruit mixed in + flaxseed or
Waffle + eggs+ sausage (only a few bites of the eggs and sausage but he swallows)

Lunch
Yo Baby yogurt (entire container) + 2TB blueberries + 1TB strawberries mixed in + baby cereal to thicken
1/2 Organic Berry Waffle dipped in yogurt

Dinner (still my biggest problem area)
Grilled Cheese Sandwich or Cheese tortellini w/butter (thanks jenny) or chicken (maybe 1TB) with veggies

Snacks
peach halves
puffs
mum mums

** We still have a lot of work to do. He is incredibly picky and cries at the sight of a spoon or fork! But at least he is getting more carbs then before***!
December 28th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Sounds like he is doing alot better! I will actually finger feed Michael sometimes if he decides he doesn't want something from a fork. Even if its messy - I'll just pick it up in my fingers and feed it to him. some things he picks on up - some things from a fork - and some things if I hand it to him! So weird!

38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied
3 embryos - 2 boys, 1 girl are waiting to be transferred - transferring 1 boy 1 girl on first FET!!!

3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
December 28th, 2011, 02:25 PM
MomtoParker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jillian, glad to hear that it is going better! Things are better here, too. This is what we did yesterday and today.

Breakfast
Nutrigrain bar

Lunch
Turkey, mac and cheese, peas

Dinner
Grilled chicken chunks, potatoes, peas

Snacks
applesauce
puffs

December 29th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Veteran
How do you guys get your LO's to eat peas??? The outer skin just sits on his mouth! I can't get him to swallow at all!! Dinner is still my biggest problem area. I tried chicken pieces with rice and that was a no-go. Just sat in his mouth. And why does it take so freakin' long?? Breakfast took me 1 whole hour today! He refused oatmeal and I had to switch to a waffle and fruit. So frustrating! Sometimes I day dream about the idea of a baby that just eats what you give him without crying his head off. Maybe the next baby (if I can muster the engergy for that LOL)!
December 29th, 2011, 09:05 AM
It just sounds like you have a picky eater... my son really eats well. I throw the peas in front of him and he just gobbles them up. Maybe green beans would be easier??

What does he do with the skin? does he eventually just swallow it - or spit it out? Try putting some cream of chicken/mushroom soup on the rice (to make it easier to eat) - I've done canned soup too - and drain it almost all the way so that he can eat the noodles, chicken, veggies... the veggies are real soft in that. Can you put some cinnamin on the oatmeal to make it more appealing to him??

My brother has a picky kid just a few months older than ours... I know its caused my mom some frustration when she watches him... he throws the food on the floor. food and nutrition can be so tough can't it??

38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied

3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
December 29th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Veteran
I never thought of the COC soup. Good idea. No he doesn't throw out the peas he just leaves it in his mouth. If I give him some juice it will get washed down with that. YES feeding him is so frustrating. He has always been this way though. Even when he was just born he would only drink 2 oz from a bottle at a time...I'm talking at 3 months! And breastfeeding was a nightmare too. He would nibble and then stop. I started pumping from 2 weeks because he was such a bear on the breast. I can't believe I even made it pumping for 9 months!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search