Bye Bye Bottle -- HELP!

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2012, 05:52 PM
By way of background, my LO has been bottle fed since the day he was born. For the first 6 months, he was bottle fed breastmilk, and then for the last 5 and a half months, he has gotten formula. Now, everything I read is telling me that within the next half month, I should wean him off of the bottle and fully onto the sippy cup. He has been using his sippy cup at meals since he was about 6 months old, but has only ever had water in it. Currently, he is down to 3 8oz bottles of formula per day (one before each nap and one before bedtime). We just today, for the very first time, gave him organic whole milk out of the sippy cup. He did ok but only drank about 2 oz. This is typically how much water he drinks with each meal out of the sippy cup.

It was my "brilliant" idea to give him his 8oz bottle tonight in a sippy cup instead of a bottle before bed time. I figured he doesn't love the bottle, but the formula instead. Well, I was wrong. I gave him the sippy cup and he tried to drink it like a bottle. Since he sucked so hard, he got too much liquid and he ended up spitting it out all over him. We tried this 4 more times, all with the same result. And then, he started screaming bloody murder!

So, I poured the formula into a bottle and gave up!!! Soooooo, now to the question, how are you all weaning your baby off of the bottle?!?! My son won't drink more than 2 oz at a time out of a sippy cup! How am I supposed to get him to drink 8 oz at a time of milk out of it?! I am at a complete loss!!!

Also, it is our bedtime routine to get a tubby, get all dressed and ready for bed, cuddle and have the bottle, sing songs, and then go to sleep. If I cut out the bottle completely, I think it is going to throw off our whole routine! This is why I came up with the not-so-great idea to substitute the sippy cup in for the bottle in this routine, but obviously, that isn't going to work!

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!
January 3rd, 2012, 10:52 PM
monkeymama2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't freak out--lots of kids take bottles past 1 year. My oldest daaughter did until 15 months. I got these sportier bottles with 2 handles to help transition. Even on sippy cups she liked to lay down and drink. My son liked cups sooner. I've offered ruby water in sippy cups but I'm not stressing because I know it can take time.
January 4th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Jennyt13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there!! Well - your not alone that's for sure! My son, Michael, doesn't even drink his bottle on his own! Plus - he is on EBM, and doesn't seem to like the taste of Whole milk. Ideally - our kids would be off the bottle at 1 year. But - every kid is different! Don't flip out, and just keep working with him.

I think with regular milk - you will end up losing your bedtime routine... but, you can try to give him sippies during the day at first, and then only give him a bedtime bottle. That way - he is getting used to the sippy, and he still gets a nightime bottle. Also - 24 ounces is great for formula - and I don't think its bad for cow's milk either - but assuming he is getting alot of his nutrients through regular food - you don't necessarily have to make sure he gets 24 ounces anymore.... so, if he only takes like 10 during the day in milk - and gets his 8 ounces at night - he will still be just fine. Just a thought!

Michael Joseph Born 1/14/11 at 2:46pm
Baby Christian - born into heaven at 22 weeks gestation - 7/14/12

Starting IVF/PGD - September 2012
47 eggs retrieved (OUCH!)
38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied
3 embryos - 2 boys, 1 girl are waiting to be transferred - transferring 1 boy 1 girl on first FET!!!

2/12/13 - FET - Cancelled due to fluid in the uterus
2/20/13 - Hysteroscopy scheduled - 1 polyp removed.

4/10/13 - FET - 2 embies transferred as planned! 1 boy 1 girl!
4/22/13 - Trying to wait to test - Beta scheduled!! -
7/31/13 - FET - 1 embie transferred - 1 boy
8/7/13 - 7dp5dt - - but very light
8/9/13 - 9dp5dt - - no mistaking this one!
8/12/13 - 1st Beta scheduled - 64
8/14/13 - 2nd Beta scheduled - only 10
03/03/14 - FET #3 - 1 embie transferred - 1 girl
3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
3/17/14 - HCG rose to 151!!!
3/20/14 - HCG rose again - 630! Nurse was in shock!
3/27/14 - Ultrasound scheduled - HB Found! 6w1d 124bpm
4/3/14 - Second Ultrasound - Still doing well!
4/14/14 - First OB appointment - looking good!
January 4th, 2012, 08:01 AM
azrunningmom's Avatar Julie S
Taylor is 1 today and still on formula and definitely still on the bottle when it comes to formula. I'm not worried at all that she will be on a bottle past 1. My Pedi says the bedtime bottle is usually the last to go so don't stress over that. My Pedi also said that up to 24 oz of whole milk is just fine so it sounds like you're doing a great job! Like Jenny said, it's ok if he gets less during the day so he can have his bedtime bottle.
Baby Taylor arrived on 01/04/2011 at 9:26pm weighing 7lbs 8oz and 19 inches long

January 4th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Good to know I am not alone! I suppose, like with everything else, he will do this transition on his own schedule. I think I am going to try and offer the whole milk more throughout the day with each meal so that he gets used to it. Then, subtract however many ounces of milk he drinks with meals from his formula bottles, until hopefully, he is drinking all milk and gets no formula bottle. I will probably take the ounces out of his 2 daytime bottles first. (Another "genius" plan that I am sure my son will laugh at, or scream at). I just want to make sure he is getting enough milk/formula during this transition, but also not too much. Although, you are probably right about the amount not mattering so much now since he is eating solids really well.

I feel like this month has been the most challenging in our household so far. Tantrums have started, Finn has wanted to self feed (aka make huge messes), routines that have worked for 11 months are going out the window, he constantly wants to be attached to me and no one else, and he has really taken to exploring everything in the house (especially the stuff that I'd rather him not get into). I keep trying to remind myself to enjoy every moment, but while it has been a fun month, its also been a challenging and stressful month!
January 4th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Jennyt13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Happy Birthday Taylor!

Michael Joseph Born 1/14/11 at 2:46pm
Baby Christian - born into heaven at 22 weeks gestation - 7/14/12

Starting IVF/PGD - September 2012
47 eggs retrieved (OUCH!)
38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied
3 embryos - 2 boys, 1 girl are waiting to be transferred - transferring 1 boy 1 girl on first FET!!!

2/12/13 - FET - Cancelled due to fluid in the uterus
2/20/13 - Hysteroscopy scheduled - 1 polyp removed.

4/10/13 - FET - 2 embies transferred as planned! 1 boy 1 girl!
4/22/13 - Trying to wait to test - Beta scheduled!! -
7/31/13 - FET - 1 embie transferred - 1 boy
8/7/13 - 7dp5dt - - but very light
8/9/13 - 9dp5dt - - no mistaking this one!
8/12/13 - 1st Beta scheduled - 64
8/14/13 - 2nd Beta scheduled - only 10
03/03/14 - FET #3 - 1 embie transferred - 1 girl
3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
3/17/14 - HCG rose to 151!!!
3/20/14 - HCG rose again - 630! Nurse was in shock!
3/27/14 - Ultrasound scheduled - HB Found! 6w1d 124bpm
4/3/14 - Second Ultrasound - Still doing well!
4/14/14 - First OB appointment - looking good!
January 4th, 2012, 09:46 AM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Natalie has been refusing bottles for almost a month now. She will nurse and she will drink/play with a sippy cup. I'm trying to push the sippy cup more as she is losing interest in nursing. I swear I have bought every freaking brand of sippy cup there is on the market trying to find one that she will use. It's been a constant struggle at our house also so you are definitely not alone.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search