Milk issues

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Veteran
First I will say Hello and Happy New Years. I feel as though I haven't been on here in forever due to one reason or the other. Happy Birthday to all of our LOs as they are turning 1. Now that Emmalyn is one we have started giving her whole milk a few times a day. Since she was 4 months she has been on Enfamil Gentlease formula due to her reflux and she didn't tolerate 100% milk formula. Before that was BM and only a few formula bottles but since I didn't produce enough to keep her happy I never tried to cut dairy from my diet. She did well with the gentlease. Now the few times she has had a bottle of whole milk she has been very fussy and cranky and if I give her a formula bottle shortly after the milk she will down it and is fine. She most of the time only takes a few sips of milk and then pushes the bottle or sippy away. This morning she had 1/2 oz and then spit it up with in 5 minutes and it was thicker than her normal spit up which she has not done in weeks. Pedi said at her 1 year check up her issues she had before with the reflux and formulas is normaly a formula thing and she should have no problem with cow's milk. Could this be a sensativity or just her adjusting? Anyone else ever have issues like this? I have read that some are not wanting milk and I would be okay if I thought that was all this is, but it has made me not want to stop formula just yet even though I am tired of buying it. DH I think thinks I am crazy because she is my last but he is not home all the time with her to know. Any advice?

January 11th, 2012, 04:21 AM
MomtoParker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would say that it could be a sensitivity. Is she spitting it up after every time she has it or was it just that one time?

I know that I have heard some deny it because they are used to room-temperature bottles and the milk is cold. I would do it where you give it to her for at least 3-4 days in a row, the same amount, at the same time, and document what you see. Then you could call your doctor with what you are noticing so they can tell you.

January 11th, 2012, 08:16 AM
jaime9's Avatar Veteran
Is she ok with cheese or yogurts?
If so,don't worry about the milk intake and just give her other foods with calcium in it.My pedi wasn't concerned about how much whole milk to give even though we stopped the formula.Just keep trying to give a little each day and other calcium foods
and maybe stop the formula altogether unless your pedi recommends staying on it or going to the toddler formulas
January 17th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Veteran
Thanks Ladies. She does okay with Yogurt, better with organic than regular. She is not big into cheese. The pedi did say that we could try the toddler formulas if we wanted. She did okay with that last night but she was reluctant to really to try it but she did. She only drinks a few sips of milk a day. Even if the only thing I offer her is milk the will throw the cup or bottle and lets the milk run out of her mouth. She will go into the kitchen and whine and cry and also point at where we had the formula until I give her some. I have some samples of similac that I opened up to test the sensitivity thing. I think I will also start giving her her zantac again. I guess I just have to keep trying milk. I do know that she has always done better with organic food (non organic makes her reflux worse) so I am going to try organic milk next.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search