Sleep!!

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Veteran
Hi there! I don't think I have ever posted anything on this board before, although I have been a lurker for quite awhile! But I have a question for you moms. My son is one years old (Dec. 31st). I dropped the ball when it came to teaching him to sleep in his crib, so for the past year he has been sleeping in my bed next to me and to get him to go to sleep I have to lay down next to him and either sing to him and gently rock the bed or make the shushing noise. This is the same with naps too. Its starting to get really annoying as it can take up to an hour to get him to sleep! I know, shame on me for not stopping this months ago!! I really want my bed back and would like to just put him in his crib and have him fall asleep on his own!! HELP!!! How do I do this?!! Is it too late??? Thanks ladies!!
January 17th, 2012, 05:17 PM
NiKA's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hi I'm Nicole

What I would suggest is buying/reading the book by dr. ferber. Now his methods aren't for everyone (many people think of his methods as the cry to sleep)
BUT he talks a lot in the book about sleep associations and routines. And how kids/adults sleep.

So it's a good idea to create a good sleep routine/habit that you can do. Many mom's do bath, book, bottle, bed type thing. But something that is done to help the baby recognize When it's time to sleep (good for night sleeps and daytime naps)

If you want your baby to start sleeping in your crib, do it slowly --transition them. But personally I would first work on your letting them fall asleep on their own, then moving to where you want them to sleep.
And really whatever method you try to use, stick with it at least for a little while. Give it a good few days instead of a couple hours. It's hard when children have developed a pattern you don't like to adjust it (goes for more than just sleeping habits).

HTH
January 18th, 2012, 03:15 AM
MomtoParker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nicole gave you some great advice! Also, if he likes the shushing noise, you can get one of the Gentle Sound giraffes. We have one for our son, and I really like it. I know you can find them at Target now.

I'd say transition slowly, maybe starting with naps in the crib. Then move up to the bedtime. I like Nicole's thought of making sure he is asleep before you put him down, and work up to where you can put him down awake. It may be a long process, but it will be easier to do it now before he can start walking and begging! Good luck and keep us posted!

January 18th, 2012, 08:08 AM
jaime9's Avatar Veteran
omg Im in the SAME boat as you lol

I don't know what to do either so I have no advice but it's nice to know we're not alone.

I do bath everynight at the same time.Afterwards I sit in the rocker and rock/nurse him to sleep.Sometimes it takes up to an hour too
when he's asleep I put him in the crib.He awakes and cries 1-2hrs after (which annoys me because it took me an hr just to get him in there).If it's still early and I'm not ready to go to sleep,I pick him up and rock him back to sleep (usually takes only 10min this time)and put him back in crib.The next awakening I bring him to bed with me where I nurse him on and off alllllll night.

Naps are the same except not in the crib at all.My doctor said to get the nighttime routine/crib down and then naps will fall into place and be easier.I don't know though.I tried the CIO method a couple times and didn't enforce it (it was hard for me and still is,to listen to him cry).So I just do what we do and deal with it lol
January 18th, 2012, 09:30 AM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First, welcome!! I'm Annette and DD, Natalie, was born on the 16th.

I think the biggest key is your follow through and consistency. I agree with Nicole that Dr. Ferber has good suggestions. I'm trying to remember the name of the book we used but it's the same general idea as Dr. Ferber of having a routine and sticking with it. Natalie did cry the first couple of nights but after that we were good to go.

As I start to see the tired signs in Natalie, we start rocking and nursing in the living room. We'll just snuggle on the couch or in the chair or lay on the floor. Basically no more playing and just sitting quietly to relax. Once she is done nursing, we go to her room and I lay her down. Most nights she won't cry, takes her binky and her bear and is out. If she does fight me, we'll read a book and rock in the nursery and then try again. Usually that does the trick.

The hardest part is not responding to the cries. At this point, I think our LOs know that we will come running when they cry. I have found that not responding to every single cry means she usually gives up and goes to sleep.

I hope you find something that works for you. We need our sleep!!
January 18th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Rockstarmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yep I agree that Ferber is a good method and it worked for us. Occasionally I have to go back and do it again, especially after a vacation or some other sort of disruption like an illness. It always gets us back on track though. I have also found that my son needs a bottle of water in the crib. He wakes several times a night to hydrate and goes right back to sleep. If he can't find the bottle, he gets very upset!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search