Panic Before the Party

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2012, 10:15 PM
douglas678's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
EV's birthday is less than 2 months away and I'm freaking out already. I have no idea on somethings. The amount of people I have planned to come, even if I did just family, wouldn't really fit in the house. Mine our my grandparents. I'm thinking I may have to see about having it at the church. Hate the idea of having to rent a place. I want people to be there because I want to share this special day. It's special for EV but I think it's also special for Me and DH. We made a year!!! EV is healthy, beautiful, smart and AMAZING. Lets celebrate! But, it's my first real hosting event. Trying to get ideas of things to do.

I found a website that had a few ideas. Like some balls and bubbles. Things for toddlers to play with. There will be toddlers and a few older kids there. I'm trying to think of cute "cheap" party favors for the kids as well. I need activities for the kids. Adults can mingle and eat.

I'm trying to figure out things I can make or get for really cheap. This is a very tight time financially. I don't want to go crazy. I want some simple finger foods, cake, maybe ice cream (it's not a must), decorations, and party favors. Of course activities. I found a cute "Pin the Nose on the Panda". It's made out of felt and some spared sposie tag things. Would be simple and cheap to make. I may spend $2 to make it. It's just a tight beginning of the year. DH isn't working overtime anymore. We have a wedding out of town that he is in, that he has to get the Tux. EV's party a week and a half after, then the following weekend DH is going out of town for 4 days to an event. Needless to say, EV's party may get the bad deal with it being in the middle and the "should be cheaper" aspect. I'm freaking out. Maybe some sleep then budgeting tomorrow may help. I just want to make some good memories to share.

If you have any tips on creating a fantastic first birthday on a budget, please let me know. This sure is a big deal to me.

Thank you so much Badydoll213. It's beautiful!

January 17th, 2012, 11:19 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
-Orientaltrading.com has tons of great deals on party supplies (paper goods, decor, favors, etc). You can usually google promo codes for them too to save even more.
-Don't stress about a lot of activities for kids; they generally have plenty of fun just playing together. One activity and some balloons/balls/bubbles/etc will totally keep them busy.
-To keep food costs down, host your party around 2pm. Everyone has eaten lunch before coming and will head home before dinner. Light appetizers are plenty. Pinwheels, popcorn, veggie tray, crostini and spinach dip, etc.
-Dollar stores are great for party favors. Get each kid a wide-mouth water bottle or sippy cup and stuff it with a couple of goodies.

More importantly, enjoy it! If you take too much time stressing the details, you'll miss the whole party.

January 18th, 2012, 10:14 AM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Another good tip for keeping food costs down sounds silly, but its true: small plates. Buy dessert size plates only. If people can fill up a big plate, they will. They'll eat more, and waste more too. Also, you could consider asking a couple of people to bring a dish. Be specific about it. If Aunt Rose makes the best pasta salad, call her and ask her to bring enough to share. Farming out a couple of jobs saves money and time.

January 18th, 2012, 11:46 AM
douglas678's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you! Those are a lot of great ideas.

Thank you so much Badydoll213. It's beautiful!

January 21st, 2012, 10:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Shannon had some great ideas! This is a learning experience for us since it's our first time as moms throwing a birthday party, if you have somebody that may want to help you don't be afraid to ask them. My sister and dads wife love planning parties, so I've given them both things to do. My biggest delimma has also been trying to find a place to have the party, I'm afraid the weather will be bad and my house is too small, so we're having to rent a place. You're doing good by starting to plan early, you can buy a few things at a time, and have plenty of time to make things yourself and save money that way.

Can't wait to meet our new baby GIRL!

Never forgetting all my sweet angels: Twins 10 weeks 1/2010 Baby B 8 weeks 8/2010 Angel 5 weeks 3/2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search