If you were to get pregnant again would you go to the same OB/midwife?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2012, 11:05 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I have switched OBs after almost every child. I don't love this OB's office but don't hate them either. I have two thoughts that go through my head when I think about the possibility of getting pregnant again, one is to just find an OB close to us and do a scheduled csection. A big part of me thinks that that would be the best choice given my history. But, I've had two vbacs so the idea of having a csection now just upsets me. My second thought is to do a homebirth. I have a friend who told me about a midwife around here and it would only cost $1600 for everything. Finances were a big part of my birth decisions last time, so this does give me though. We would spend a whole lot less on a homebirth. The problem with option two is that I highly doubt dh would support this and I don't know if the midwife would actually agree to this given my history.

In any case, I think I would search for another OB this time around.

All of this is just hypothetical anyway since I do not plan to get pregnant again.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
January 25th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Adelyns_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, for sure, she was amazing and super nice. BUT, I better not get pregnant again, we are done!
January 25th, 2012, 05:28 PM
miamor
absolutely loved my OB..he is so laid back and never let me worry about anything..my water broke weeks early, i wasn't even dilated. he was leaving for vacation. he stayed and delivered my baby. i would definitely trust him again.
January 25th, 2012, 06:54 PM
sophiesmommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I definitely would! There are 5 OB's in my practice and you rotate through them during your pregnancy and are guaranteed to get one of them when you deliver. I also liked the hospital I delivered at for the most part (loved labor and delivery, post partum, not so much.)

Unfortunately, in Pittsburgh, there is a big dispute between Highmark and UPMC insurance companies. All of my current doctors/hospital is part of UPMC. If they do not reach an agreement all people who carry Highmark insurance will not be allowed to use UPMC facilities starting in May of 2013. Which is problematic for many reasons - but the L&D facilities in the other hospital/ NICU is no where near as good as Magee (UPMC's facility).

So, we will have the option of using my insurance through school, which is Highmark and paying 25 dollars a month per family, or using DH's through work, which is UPMC, and paying 538 dollars per month....

Thank you Meganpixelfor my awesome siggy!

"you are the best thing that's ever been mine"
January 25th, 2012, 07:06 PM
SarahLMC's Avatar Super Mommy
I will definitely stay with my doctor. She has been my OBGYN since I was 18 years old, and I trust her.

Sarah Mom to Wyatt and Andrew, wife to Robert

Follow our Blog at www.LiveForThoseMoments.com

January 25th, 2012, 10:48 PM
katidid622's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would switch. The practice I went to had 4 OB's in it, and you have to see them all. In the end, the doctor that I saw the last few months (by then I had seen everyone, so I could pick who I wanted to see) I loved. She is the one that did my c/s and stuff too. If I could just see her, I would stay. But since that is not an option, I would probably switch...but I don't know for sure since I would definitely be a repeat c/s, since I would schedule ahead of time, then I would know she would deliver....hmmm. I wasn't crazy about the hospital I was at though, so yeah, I think I would switch. Not that any of this matters since we are done. Gosh, thinking about this really makes me wish I went with a midwife with Kenzie. Oh well. Too late now! lol

Do you LIKE JustMommies? Help us get to 5,000 fans!
January 26th, 2012, 09:17 AM
michelle_m's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Probably not. My OB was good during the pregnancy. She had just had twins herself, so she knew where I was coming from. She made it clear that she wanted to be very careful with my pregnancy. From 16 weeks to 30 weeks, I had an appointment every two weeks, complete with ultrasound. Then it was a high-risk ultrasound every week. (Oh, those ultrasounds - seeing the babies kept me going, but that was a whole lot of time spent in doctor's offices.) She was a very intense person, though, and even though she was thorough, I felt appointments were just a little rushed.
The big problem for me was that I didn't realize until I went into pre-term labor that there was basically zero chance of her - or even anyone in the practice (but I hadn't met any of them, anyway) - delivering my babies unless I had a scheduled c-section. When I went into real labor, even though my OB had said she supported a vaginal birth if one twin was breech, none of the OB's at the hospital would do it. Luckily both my girls stayed head down. But there was panic at the hospital as I was fighting to get what I wanted, which I feel could have been avoided if a) she delivered my babies or b) she had at least been a little more upfront with me.

So...eh. Like I said, probably not. I would really love to have an OB I liked who would actually be the one to deliver my baby. I think that's harder and harder to find.
Unexplained Infertility - TTC #1 since 5/08.
6/10 - IUI #3 with Clomid 75mg. BFP! 6/27/10...It's TWINS!
Esme Mireille, 3 lbs. 10 oz., and Nadine Adele, 4 lbs. 4 oz., born Jan 29th. 2011.
5/14 - TTC #3.

My Ovulation Chart

January 26th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to chelle2k
I would keep the same one even though its a long drive and there are many many ob's closer. I really like her. She is in a practice, but they don't make you see any of the other doctors there and I really like that.
January 26th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure. I really like my ob, but the problem is the chances of her actually delivering my baby is very slim, she only works at the hospital 5 days a month. The ob that ended up delivering my baby was probably the worst doctor I could have gotten, she's part of the same medical group, but she was just awful. I like the practice in the office, and the treatment that I receive during prenatal visits, but the delivery kinda scarred me.

Can't wait to meet our new baby GIRL!

Never forgetting all my sweet angels: Twins 10 weeks 1/2010 Baby B 8 weeks 8/2010 Angel 5 weeks 3/2013
January 26th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Leah1216's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would absolutely stay with my OB for a 3rd time. She has been my OB for both of my daughters. Besides my hard work, I totally credit her with my girls being here healthy. She knows what she is doing. She is the highest doctor in the practice. Some of the other doctors may not have agreed with everything she did but, it got my girls here as close to full term as possible. (little background. I have an incompetent cervix caused my a leep procedure. I had cerclages done with each pregnancy. Some doctors don't do one until you have had a loss. Thankfully, not mine. )
She did not deliver either baby but, by then the "hard" part was over. I cannot say enough wonderful things about my doctor especially given me being high risk.
January 26th, 2012, 06:00 PM
ReaganorDean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I rotated through a group of five doctors too, and by the grace of God got the one doctor I wanted to deliver my baby. The only thing that scared me is early on after she broke my water she mentioned the possibility of me needing a c section because of meconium. Then one of the nurses had mentioned she was worried about me not pushing hard enough because I couldn't feel anything (epidural). By then after waiting 9 hours in the hospital, I was like "hell no".....I am not getting a c section in the 11th hour. I pushed from my ribs which was the lowest I could feel, and made it happen. Anyway, my OB was so calm, and just chatted with me through everything. I swear I had the happiest OB. I really liked her!!
January 26th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Proud mommy!
I am not sure. I really like my OB, but his office is way busy. He is the only Dr and they overbook all the time. Unless I had the first appointment of the day we were always waiting 30 to 45 minutes past the appointment time to be seen. It was so frustrating!

January 27th, 2012, 02:42 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Fortunately, my OB's office was a small practice so I think if I went back there she could deliver my baby. She didn't deliver Shawn because of how speedy my labor was so I'm not sure how she would have done. I think it's nice to go to a smaller practice and have the doctor you see actually deliver your baby. That's the one drawback about bigger practices.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
January 27th, 2012, 02:54 PM
SEAmama's Avatar Veteran
I want to say yes, but the truth is no. I LOVED my midwife at the time; she was exactly what I needed. However, there were a few key things that would push me to go with someone else.
1) I believe that she promoted pacifier and bottle use too early. Avery had a BF strike at 2.5 months and quit nursing and I think it's because we introduced bottles too soon (on MW recommendation).
2) I asked her specifically to do a pelvic exam and to work closely with the person doing the sonogram to take a look at the shape of my pelvis. My mother had 3 c/s due to pelvis shape and I wanted to know if this would be an issue for me. She said my pelvis was fine. Well, after a 24 hour home labor, I ended up having a c/s due to pelvic issues.
I still think she's a fine person but I wouldn't go back to her.

January 27th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Madre Monstruo's Avatar Coco Ohno
. . .

Last edited by Madre Monstruo; November 16th, 2012 at 06:18 PM.
January 27th, 2012, 08:00 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, I've been with this ob practice for my last 3dc. I followed one of the ob's from my old office to this one. They are great.
January 27th, 2012, 08:13 PM
daisyjay2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
yes, definitely. I LOVE my ob. we are done having babies but it actually makes me want another one because i love the office so much! and his nurse is a good family friend which helps too
January 27th, 2012, 08:22 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would for sure. I love the midwives and the docs I had with my pregnancies.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

January 27th, 2012, 09:06 PM
SaraB32's Avatar Kelsey's momma
I hope to find a birth center or midwife next time. I liked my OB, but I want to try something different.

Kelsey Jo
January 27th, 2012, 10:33 PM
MrzRoman's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: Currently living in Oxnard, Ca hometown Jacksonville, FL
Send a message via MSN to MrzRoman Send a message via Yahoo to MrzRoman
I had a different doctor with all 5 kids. But, my last OB/GYN was Amazing!!! Wish I would have had him with all my kids. If DH changes his mind and we have a 6th. I would definitely go back to him.

Mrs. C Roman:
Mommy to:

Jahdiel Benjamin, Jaiden Jaiver, Jalen Elias, Jaslene Mercedes, Jace Anthony

Tags
qotd

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search