Interesting WIC check up....

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 7 Post By caitbeans
  • 1 Post By Dixana
  • 2 Post By navywifey2003
  • 2 Post By joonzgurl
  • 1 Post By MommytoaMiracle

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2012, 06:11 PM
sweetgirl51305's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, first of all, Lilli is 6 months old today!

We had her 6 month check up at WIC today. They weighed her and she was over 18 lbs. They measured her and she's only 24 1/4 in. They told me she was in the 100th % for weight and 23rd % for height and that she's short. I'm confused though...at her pedi check up in Dec she was 24 1/2 in. That doesn't make sense! She was in the 75th % then.

Oh, and apparently I'm not feeding her enough. She's in the 100th %!!! I told them I was giving her 1/2 a stage 2 fruit with oatmeal in the am and 1/2 stage 2 of veggies/meat in the pm. They said that's not enough She should be eating 2 stage 2 jars a day and cereal twice. I told her that she doesn't eat it well. She just spits it out. After 2 months of feeding her she's getting a little better, but she still hasn't gotten the hang of it. I told them she's tongue tied and it may have something to do with it. ??? So the schedule they want me to do is this:
Feeding 1: Formula & cereal
2: Formula and fruit
3: Formula and veggies
4: Formula and cereal
5: Formula and veggie/meat
6: Formula and fruit

She eats now at 6am, 9am, 12, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm, and 3am. The 9pm, 3am, and 6am are strictly formula since she's asleep. So I figured I'd do it like this instead:
6am: Formula
9am: Formula, fruit and cereal
12: Formula & Veggies
3pm: Formula, Veggies/meat
6: Formula, fruit and cereal
9: Formula
3am: Formula

Also I'm supposed to cut down her formula. They were giving us 8 cans a month and now it's only 6. When in reality, it was 9 cans a month 'cuz we had to buy 1. She's taking 7 bottles with 36 oz in total. So I figured I'll cut her formula down to 3 oz each bottle with food and when it's just formula I'll do her normal 5. Hopefully this will work out. I'm just all confused!

~*Visit my ETSY shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/SillyWillyLilli*~
February 6th, 2012, 06:16 PM
caitbeans's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to caitbeans
I wouldnt get worried about her height, I really don't think it is all that accurate when they measure them. If there head is off, they aren't' straight, they wouldnt straighten out--it will be off. They measured colton today and then realize it would have been a huge jump so weight back and measured him again and he was 1.5 inches shorter.

I wouldn't listen to a thing they are saying about solids. Breastmilk or formula is the MAIN source of nutrition, you should not be cutting that back in order to get her to eat solids. They only reason to feed solids is to check for allergies and for fun. If she doesnt want it, just let it go. I honestly think that is way too much solids what they are recommending.

\
February 6th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitbeans View Post
I wouldnt get worried about her height, I really don't think it is all that accurate when they measure them. If there head is off, they aren't' straight, they wouldnt straighten out--it will be off. They measured colton today and then realize it would have been a huge jump so weight back and measured him again and he was 1.5 inches shorter.

I wouldn't listen to a thing they are saying about solids. Breastmilk or formula is the MAIN source of nutrition, you should not be cutting that back in order to get her to eat solids. They only reason to feed solids is to check for allergies and for fun. If she doesnt want it, just let it go. I honestly think that is way too much solids what they are recommending.
I agree with Kate. I wouldn't cut down in her main source of nutrition. Also, WIC is meant to be a supplement, not the only source of her food. I think it's totally appropriate that you'll need to supply some of her formula.
February 6th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Seriously? That's nuts! I had our appt today and she told me to keep blw and let her nurse at will as we have been. They also didnt give me any percentages, I dont even think they looked them up.
I would *not* cut her formula, that's their main source of nutrition right now! I also think it's ridiculous they think you should be pushing/forcing solids! All babies mature at different rates.
Who on earth trained this person? I almost think you should call the main number for the state and say something.
PurpleQueen likes this.

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

February 6th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Happy Mommy
don't up th efood. and Rachel is right it's only a suppliment, you'll need to provide part of her formula and food.
February 6th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
WOW! That sounds like a lot of food! My friend is a nurse a a ped office and they don't recommend 3 meals (and 3 bottles) a day until 9 months!!! And I don't know that they ever recommend 6 meals a day! I would follow your gut. We currently feed 5-6 bottles a day and food once a day.
February 6th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I once had a WIC dietitian keep telling me I needed to watch my calories when I was pregnant with Erin, and I had been so sick I had LOST 10lbs. So I don't think they really know what they're talking about half the time. (I also agree with height measurements at this age, it's really hard to get them accurate)

I agree with the other ladies. Don't cut the formula. You're doing a great job as it is.

February 7th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I completely agree with everyone else. Don't increase her solids, especially if she's still struggling with them. Don't worry about the height either.
February 7th, 2012, 06:24 AM
babi_lovin11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to babi_lovin11
Yeah, I would not listen to them at all. Carter doesn't eat solids yet (only cereal at bedtime) he just isn't interested in it really and he drinks 8oz of formula at a time
February 7th, 2012, 09:38 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Do not cut her formula whoever told you that is retarded. Her formula should be the main source of her nutrition.
mandy5586 and w292737 like this.

February 7th, 2012, 11:38 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I agree with everyone else I just want to echo it. I would not increase her food at all! She is ONLY 6 months! Around here the dr told me not even to START solids until 6 months and her showing interest. and definately not on decreasing the formula either
navywifey2003 and mandy5586 like this.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
February 7th, 2012, 11:48 AM
First Timer!!!
my babies doc told me that docs are getting together trying to change the things you hear at wic seeing as they shouldnt provide medical advice to you because they arent doctors ...

that said i think this is nuts .. i wouldnt cut so much of her formula thats what she needs at least til like ... a year old ... along with other fun solids an such
February 7th, 2012, 12:02 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mouth was literally open the entire time I read that!!
What a freaking moron! I cannot believe this person deals with these cases all day & is giving such crap information to parents! Wow. Just wow.

Baby food isn't even recommended until 6 months of age! And in small quantities! Food before one is just for fun.

Follow your gut! You are doing a great job, Momma!
navywifey2003 likes this.
February 7th, 2012, 12:28 PM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Insanity. I have girl friends whose babies didn't even eat solids - let alone THAT many solids - until well into the 8-9th month. Some babies just aren't interested in them. Did they starve? Absolutely not. Babies are designed to survive on milk/formula for that first year of life. So dumb.

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

February 7th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was just thinking....wow, they would definitely tell me that I am doing it wrong then. If Brynlee doesn't get any solids for days, we don't care LOL

And we never decrease her bottle...if anything, we are about to have to increase it!

February 7th, 2012, 05:35 PM
sweetgirl51305's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks guys! That's reassuring! I came out of there feeling like a horrible mother. Like I've starved my child or not given her what she's supposed to have. Lilli had a check up today 'cuz of a rash that popped up and I asked the dr (not her normal one, but still). I told him what the wic ppl said and he said it really depends on the baby. If she's happy with what I'm doing then it's fine, if I change it and she does better than fine. I tried doing more food today and she did very well. She skipped a bottle last night 'cuz of her sleeping more (yay!) so she was a little off schedule today. But at 8am I gave her 1/2 jar of fruit mixed with cereal and 4 oz formula. Then sweet potatoes and 4 oz, then meat/veggie and 3 oz formula, then fruit and cereal and 4 oz. She actually turned her head when she was done and everything. She hasn't acted hungry, I've tried the 5 oz but she never takes it all. She's actually enjoying the food now and eating it better, so maybe that's what she needed. She's still getting the recommended amount of formula, so we'll see. We'll play it by ear.

~*Visit my ETSY shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/SillyWillyLilli*~
February 7th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
what a strange appt, who are these people?

none of my kids eat 6 meals a day, and at this stage solids aren't ready fueling bodies yet, just milk as pp mentioned.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search