Advice to help with development?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes
  • 6 Post By w292737
  • 1 Post By RASCAL821
  • 4 Post By Mama.Angie
  • 1 Post By DaniB+3
  • 3 Post By Zoostergirl

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2012, 03:11 AM
inlove08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am curious if there is anything I can do to help Emma "grow" and increase her development a bit. I am concerned that at the babysitters she just lays her on the floor and doesn't interact. She watches other older kids and emma is her only infant.

Emma is 6 months old and can't sit up unassisted, doesn't roll over, and has no interest being on her belly still. She is a bigger baby. (doc states bigger babies sometimes just don't want to "work")
Emma does reach for things, find tiny objects when close to her and grabs them, laughs, plays, talks, follow objects.

I am working with her on sitting....she does it unassisted for a good 9 seconds til she falls to the side. Maybe it's her big head. LOL 44.5 cm. (I think that is more due to the flat spot on her head)

I don't want to be a bad mommy and not try to help. I try to work with her on the 1 day I get to see her a week. But that is so not enough.

Thank you Vicki.... for my beautiful siggie!!!
February 8th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Happy Mommy
My biggest advice ... Let her progress on her own time table. Unless she is truly delayed. And then I'd tell you to seek help.

She sounds like a very normal baby. And still within normal ranges.
February 8th, 2012, 03:52 AM
Okay thank you. First time mommy worries. I love my peanut so
Much and want to provide best life possible. So what do you think
about babysitter issue?

February 8th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Happy Mommy
Honestly. Unless she is completely ignoring her I'd leave it be. Just ask that at bottle time she really interact. Same with diapers.

I've found with my older 2. It's some tomes best to leave to their own devices younger ages because as they grow they will then be able to entertain them selves and it need you 24-7. Not saying ignore her. But l
If she has time to lay/sit and just be she'll be okay
February 8th, 2012, 05:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Kaylen is exactly the same as Emma. She is 5 1/2 months....and she HATE HATE HATES tummy time....she can't sit unassisted yet....but she is getting better....she is a bigger baby too.....I am afraid I don't giver her enough floor time b/c she gets so fussy so FAST whenever I try. I wouldn't worry too much....all babies develop at their own speed....and where I think physically she has lacked....mentally she has excelled....heck she said mama yesterday and she waves hi too!!! just keep working with her....it will all come together!!! Its all the first mommy anxieties...I have the same issues.....and sometimes...though I LOVE LOVE LOVE this website...I feel Kaylen is behind alot of babies here too.....but everyone has different circumstances...and ALL babies are different. Remember too that babies that have older siblings tend to develop faster as well!!! Keep it up!!! You are doing a good job!!!
tobi4 likes this.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
February 8th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Emma is just fine. She is a normal baby. She will grow, and develop, and trying to get her to go or grow any faster is like trying to get a caterpillar to turn into a butterfly on anyone but it's own time. You're not a neglectful mommy, you'll notice if she's truly behind.
Zoostergirl, KMQ, w292737 and 1 others like this.
February 8th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Will is over 6 months now & doesn't sit yet either. He rolls all over the place, but is not interested in sitting. I worry, like you, that I'm doing something wrong or neglecting his progress somehow. But I know it isn't really true - he just does his own thing in his own time. I pay lots of attention to him, give him lots of physical affection (hugs, kisses, counting his fingers & toes, playing with him on the floor, etc.). I think you're doing everything right. You're awesome mommy!!!

William Jeffery, born 8/1/11
Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
http://www.anilandcontinuied.blogspot.com/
http://reverendanissa.blogspot.com/
February 8th, 2012, 06:32 AM
First Time Mommy
Emma's doing just fine.

Keeping Up With The Petrosians
February 8th, 2012, 08:10 AM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Miles is 5 1/2 months old and is, by far, the laziest of my three babies at this age. He doesn't sit unassisted, roll, get on his knees during tummy time, etc. He is content to just lay and play. It's totally normal. He, too, is a big baby so I guess he isn't into the idea of doing work either. But I know he'll catch up, and in the meantime I am thankful that I don't have to chase him!
tobi4 likes this.

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

February 8th, 2012, 10:05 AM
You ladies are so wonderful

February 8th, 2012, 10:14 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with everyone...She is developing JUST fine! She will learn new things at her own pace & I wouldn't worry! You are doing a great job!
February 8th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Kim
She's perfect, Tiffany. She's do everything in her own time. Evan is sch a lazy baby compared to my daughter, but I'm in no rush for him to grow up on me! He can roll, but prefers not to, and he doesn't sit up unassisted either. He likes to turn himself in circles while he lies on the floor, but that's the extent of it. Try not to worry- you're a great mom.

February 8th, 2012, 10:57 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Mine is 8mths and not even a big baby and she still doesn't sit for more than a couple seconds. She hates her tummy, although I put her on it just so she'll get mad and roll herself over. Really, the best thing is just letting her play on the floor. She'll start grabbing for things and eventually start moving around. Then watch out.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
February 8th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Being on the floor watching other kids play is probably the best for her developmentally! As long as she's not getting stepped on and such.

She'll do things at just the right time for her. And in two years no one will be able to tell who in our PR did things first or last!

February 8th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Katelyn Is now 6 1/2 months and she doesn't sit or crawl either. All babies mature at their own pace!

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

February 8th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Mummy to great girls
Emma is doing fine! Babies will do things when they are ready to......and when it happens, it will be completely out of the blue and they just keep going from then on. She is just enjoying being an adorable little gem for a bit longer before all the activities start :-)

February 8th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by w292737 View Post
My biggest advice ... Let her progress on her own time table. Unless she is truly delayed. And then I'd tell you to seek help.

She sounds like a very normal baby. And still within normal ranges.
totally agree!
February 8th, 2012, 01:27 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think she sounds normal. We took Xavier to Child Study for an evaluation, and the therapist there said to try placing a ball between his legs when he's sitting up. It's supposed to encourage them to sit longer and help with balance. It helps him a lot.

February 8th, 2012, 01:33 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
Quote:
Being on the floor watching other kids play is probably the best for her developmentally! As long as she's not getting stepped on and such
This was my thought on the babysitter thing! And, I agree with all the other ladies; it sounds like Emma is doing just fine Babies do things on their own schedule, it's us mommas who worry if they're doing it right

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

February 8th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Joey also refuses to roll, sit, crawl or tummy--same as my other three newborns-she's perfect

Marie's five kids are now 7,5,4,4 &2!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search