Infant physical therapy

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2012, 10:35 AM
Regular
Hi ladies! I posted a little bit back when we had the Jan 2011 DDC.

My daughter, Serafina, is almost 13 months. She just started physical therapy because she has low muscle tone in her legs; she doesn't crawl (she scoots with her legs almost in a split) and she doesn't pull to a standing position. She only cruises a little bit if you stand her at the coffee table.

I was just wondering if any of you had any experience with infant physical therapy?
February 23rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
kdmommie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
HI there! I have a friend that takes her daughter to TP twice a week. It has helped her tremendously. Did you just start the therapy? Is there an underlying cause for the low muscle tone in her legs?

February 23rd, 2012, 04:59 PM
Regular
I have no idea what the cause is. Does that make a difference? The pediatrician never mentioned cause.

Today was her second appointment, so we really haven't accomplished much. We're just trying to get her used to the therapist (it takes her a while to warm up to new people). I have things I'm supposed to work on at home with her, and I ordered Hip Helpers for her to wear when she's playing.
February 23rd, 2012, 07:08 PM
kdmommie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think there is also another member on here that takes her daughter to therapy. I want to say her doctor wanted them to get an MRI done to see if they could find the cause of the hypotonia. My friend's daughter has Prader Willi Syndrome and that's the cause of her hypotonia. If your pedi isn't concerned then I wouldn't be. I was just curious.

My son has been dealing with persistant rashes for the past few months. The doctors are treating the symptoms but so far we can't find the cause of the rashes and it's frustrating to me.

February 24th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Regular
The only thing we did was have x-rays done to rule out hip dysplasia.
February 24th, 2012, 07:58 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Natalie doesn't walk either. She also is a scooter. She'll stand up if she's hanging on to something but she isn't cruising yet. Her ped doesn't seem worried about it at all. He hasn't recommended therapy or anything for her. She's pretty much been two months behind all the other babies in the PR since the beginning so at this point I don't get that stressed about it.
February 25th, 2012, 05:28 AM
Regular
Maybe it depends on the way they're scooting? It was explained to me that the way Serafina is scooting could cause damage to her hips later on if we don't correct it now.
March 2nd, 2012, 10:10 PM
Veteran
I'm the one who has the little one with low muscle tone (hypotonia). I don't get on here much so I'll pm you my contact info.

« Hair | 2011 Playroom | Sick »
Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search