Cardiologist appointment results (x-posted)

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2012, 06:50 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Marsi was an absolute champ today. We got there at about 1:30 for our 2:00 appointment because we had to go through paperwork. The first thing that happened was an EKG. Everything with that was normal. The cardiologist definitely heard the murmur the pediatrition was hearing. We decided to chance having an echochardiogram without sedation because it was Marsi's nap time. She was such a champ through it! They were able to complete the whole thing (about an hour) without any sedation!! When they were done with that, we got the diagnosis. Patent ductus arteriosus. In order to figure out the importance of when it needed to be fixed, we needed to see if her heart was getting enlarged. They found that out through chest x-ray. This showed that her heart was already getting enlarged and that the problem needed to be fixed pretty soon. With everything that was told us, we opted for surgery. We don't know when it is going to be. The surgeon is going to call to make the appointment. Because of that we needed her to have her blood typed and tested so she had to give blood today too. She did so well through all of this. It is heart breaking, but I am glad we caught it early and it can be fixed.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

March 5th, 2012, 07:10 PM
lulumama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh, that must be so scary. I'm glad they found it early as well, and sending lots and lots of best wishes for an easy surgery and speedy recovery.

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

Blessed with our Maui Miracle - Owen Kekoa, born 9/19/11 at 35w3d!
March 5th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
How scary hugs I hope it all gets fixed and dosent put her though too much

March 5th, 2012, 09:35 PM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh no I'm so sorry...I'll be praying that everything turns out alright....I'm sure it's very scary to think of your baby having to go through surgery...please keep us posted.

March 6th, 2012, 12:21 AM
lindz_fay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hugs and prayers being sent!!

thank you bri_91 for my siggy

March 6th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am so sorry she needs surgery, that stinks. We had a bunch of preemie friends with PDAs, some that were fixed with meds (they always try that first with preemies, I guess since they have to be in the hospital anyway and are being closely monitored?) and a couple with surgery. It's scary anytime your kid has surgery let alone on their heart, but at least at our NICU it seemed to be quick and easy to fix, and afterwards their kids were all totally fine and they can all do stuff like play sports and all that. I hope it goes just as smoothly for Marsi!

March 6th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Oh goodness I can't imagine what you're feeling through all of this! I am so sorry!

*hugs*

March 6th, 2012, 03:07 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Considering everything, I am doing okay. Since there isn't a date for the surgery, I don't think that it has hit me. But, now that I know what to look for, she is definitely showing signs of a heart problem and it makes me feel bad that I didn't see them for what they were. I am trying really hard not to beat myself up about any of it. It happens. It isn't my fault. We just have to love Marsi and keep her happy.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

March 6th, 2012, 04:05 PM
lulumama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't beat yourself up - it's not your fault AT ALL! Plus, as a FTM it's especially hard to know what's normal and what to look out for, I don't think you should feel badly that you didn't see anything to be concerned about.

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

Blessed with our Maui Miracle - Owen Kekoa, born 9/19/11 at 35w3d!
March 7th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
((hugs)) im glad you got some answers and its fixable! thinking of Marsi <3

March 7th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulumama View Post
Don't beat yourself up - it's not your fault AT ALL! Plus, as a FTM it's especially hard to know what's normal and what to look out for, I don't think you should feel badly that you didn't see anything to be concerned about.
I know just what it is to beat yourself up for your kid's health issues even though you know logically that it's nothing you caused, and how hard it can be to get head out of that feeling, but just know, seriously, there is zero you could have done to prevent this, and unless you're a cardiologist, there is probably no way you could have known what was going on with her heart. The important thing is that you're getting her the help she needs now that you have a diagnosis in hand.

March 8th, 2012, 11:54 AM
army_wife1008's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to army_wife1008
I am so sorry you are going through this. I want to offer a little support that may make you feel a little better. First of all, 1 in 9 people actually have a PDA and don't know it! (don't quote me on those statistics but I am pretty sure that is correct). MOST of the time, they don't cause any problems and people usually don't even realize they have them. In rare cases, like Marsi's they do need to be fixed.

Ava had a PDA, it is VERY common in preemies, like Beth was saying. We did two rounds of medicine (endocin) and it was unsuccesful so she had the surgery. Also, many people are confused by this, but it is not actually HEART surgery. The PDA is a valve near the heart. I am sure they explained the surgery to you but it is a very simple surgery and Ava's actual surgery was done in about 20 mintues. It's really the prep and cleanup that take forever. She has a little metal clasp that will be on the valve for the rest of her life. It will show up on x-rays but it won't set off metal detectors or anything, it's very tiny. Of course there are always risks with surgery (Ava ended up with an infection) but chances are that Marsi will be back to normal (or much BETTER) in no time! If you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask me! I know it's probably a little different on a 2lb preemie than an older baby, but I have been through it, so I know how scary it is! Hang in there!
March 10th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Mom to Girls
I cannot imagine how you are feeling. But it's so good that they caught this early. I will be thinking of her.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search