Sleep ugh

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What I wouldn't give for a solid night's sleep...Maggie is still up every 3 hours or more to nurse. Here is the routine/problem: we put her down in her PnP (which is in our room next to our bed) when she falls asleep sometime between 8:30 and 10, but usually a little after 9. Then she wakes up at...oh gosh, I don't even know, because I'm so sleep deprived that half the time when she wakes up for that first feed that I don't even remember picking her up to nurse her in bed. And since I'm barely conscious, I'm not awake enough to say to myself, "Get up and put her back in her PnP" so we end up cosleeping. Which means, she's waking me up every hour after that to nurse for 2 minutes and then fall back asleep. Then my alarm clock goes off at 4:45 so I can go to work.

I feel like, if I could just get to a point where I'm not exhausted all the time, I'd be able to get us on more of a schedule at night and get more into the routine of her sleeping someplace where the ready access to milk isn't making her want to nurse all the freaking time. And then we'd be out of this vicious cycle, right? Right? Please tell me I'm right...

Anyway, anyone else suffering like this? Misery loves company.

March 7th, 2012, 07:33 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Sign me up in the suffering train! We basically have the same thing going on. He starts the night in his crib around 9ish. Then wakes up 40 minutes later and I give him his paci back. He will sleep for about 2 hours after that. I feed him in his rocker and put him back into his crib...and then it begins in earnest. He generally it up an hour later and I give up and bring him into my room because I am so exhausted I can't stomach walking to his room one More time and back. And that means we cosleep and he eats as he sees fit, which is prolly at least every hour. And I get up exhaustedly at 630 or so, when Liam wakes up.

What I would not give for a kid who sleeps 5 hours at a time. Where do people get those kids?? My first was even worse.
March 7th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ash, at least I know I'm not alone? Actually, no, that doesn't make me feel better, I just feel bad for you too!

For me, this is hard because Jim was such a good sleeper. The NICU got him on a super regular schedule--every 3 hours, he'd wake up, we'd change his diaper, he'd eat, and he'd pass back out. As he got a little bigger, it became wake up, diaper, play a little, eat, pass back out. It was to the point that when I was working from home with him, I could schedule conference calls because I knew exactly when he'd be asleep and for how long. Transitioning to sleeping through the night was relatively easy because we just gave him a bigger bottle before bed, and then he'd sleep longer, then wake up, diaper, feed, back to sleep. So as we gave him bigger and bigger bottles before bed, he slept longer and longer, until after being home about 10 weeks (so, he was about 6 weeks corrected age), he slept through the night.

With Maggie, there's no schedule, she just does what she feels like. Plus she's a fairly big spit-up-er, so if we give her a bigger bottle, that just means she's going to puke half of it up. I just can't seem to get her tummy stretched out enough to get her full enough to get her sleeping longer.

Ugh. Actually, I take it back, it does feel good to know I'm not alone. But I still feel bad for you, Ash!

March 7th, 2012, 09:34 AM
lulumama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm on the suffering train too!!!

Owen goes down between 6 and 7 (closer to 7 now) which I am thankful for - gives me time to either go to work (I work some nights from 7:30 to 9) or cook and have a real dinner. But! He usually wakes up a few times between 7 and 10 and allows himself to be bounced/rocked back to sleep and put back down, then he wakes for a feeding usually between 10 and midnight. Then, he's up pretty much every two to three hours until about 5, and then every hour from 5 to 7:30 or so. Last night/this morning was a nightmare - up every two hours from 10pm until 4 and then every 45 minutes or so until 6:45 when he was awake, awake.

It's so tough! But I'm not ready to put him in his own room or do any "sleep training" so I guess this is what I've got to deal with!

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

Blessed with our Maui Miracle - Owen Kekoa, born 9/19/11 at 35w3d!
March 7th, 2012, 09:44 AM
debraf555's Avatar Luig's Momma!
I am pretty lucky with Luigi when it comes to sleep. He sleeps about 10 hours a night . . . usually 6 hours, then he gets a bottle, and then he sleeps another 3-4 hours.

Is there a big difference between breastfed babies and formula babies when it comes to sleeping/needing to eat?

I nursed Luigi exclusively for a month after he was born and he was looking to nurse every 2 hours or less. We stopped after complications from stomach surgery he had when he was 5 weeks old. Once he transitioned completely over to formula his sleeping habits completely changed . . . for the better.
March 7th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Oh gosh, I can't imagine having to get up in the am and going to work.

I totally miss the baby who was sleeping 6-7 hours straight at night. We're now back to getting up every 2 hours It is SO tiring.

When she was a newborn, I totally had no problem doing the 2 hour thing, but now I'm having a hard time re-adjusting since I had that month and a half of awesome sleep. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by debraf555 View Post
I am pretty lucky with Luigi when it comes to sleep. He sleeps about 10 hours a night . . . usually 6 hours, then he gets a bottle, and then he sleeps another 3-4 hours.

Is there a big difference between breastfed babies and formula babies when it comes to sleeping/needing to eat?

I nursed Luigi exclusively for a month after he was born and he was looking to nurse every 2 hours or less. We stopped after complications from stomach surgery he had when he was 5 weeks old. Once he transitioned completely over to formula his sleeping habits completely changed . . . for the better.
I think generally formula babies dont wake as often to eat because it takes them longer to digest formula...so they stay full longer.

March 7th, 2012, 10:09 AM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i'm sorry Jakob was sleeping through the night, but he isn't any longer (which almost makes it worse since I was getting sleep for 2 months lol)...He gets up once during the night and then again super early in the morning (like 6) and he's up for the day....I hope your babies start to sleep better...My 2 kids that were breastfed didn't sleep through the night till they were weaned...it was so hard! as much as i'm sad that I didn't get to BF Jakob for long, that's something I don't miss.

March 7th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I think in general formula fed babies sleep longer at night, because, like Rae (Urchin) said, formula takes longer to digest.

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

March 7th, 2012, 03:33 PM
debraf555's Avatar Luig's Momma!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulumama View Post
I think in general formula fed babies sleep longer at night, because, like Rae (Urchin) said, formula takes longer to digest.
That makes sense. This may be a stupid question, but would it help BF babies sleep longer at night if their last bottle was formula? I imagine this wouldn't work if the baby is EBF.
March 7th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Quote:
That makes sense. This may be a stupid question, but would it help BF babies sleep longer at night if their last bottle was formula? I imagine this wouldn't work if the baby is EBF.
Not a stupid question at all! I *do* think that would work. Unfortunately for us, Owen won't take formula - he's got a milk protein allergy so most formulas won't work for him, and the ones that do (nutramigen, allimentum) he hates the taste and refuses the bottle.

March 8th, 2012, 07:30 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Yeah, I know most formulas take longer to digest and therefore baby sleeps longer and better. Kieran won't take a bottle period, no matter what is in it...so it doesn't much matter if formula would help him sleep! He has distinct opinions on what will and will not happen. Lol!

I just keep reminding myself that he will sleep better eventually. I broke down with Liam at 10 months. He still woke up every hour (no lie) and I was just exhausted. I made him cry it out and hated myself for it (I still do some days). He is fine, mind you. He did not have some major consequences from it. But I hate it came to that and it made me feel like an unfit mother that I could not just "handle" the demands of a baby. But I will say I was delirious at that point. He just never slept. We had a rocky first year with him overall. Kieran is a little better, so for that I am grateful. He sleeps a bit better, cries a lot less, and is more easily soothed than Liam was. So I have a better bead on things with him. But the sleeping thing still kills me, I need more sleep than average, so getting minimal amounts is like torture!
March 8th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
When Maggie was still getting formula it seemed like she slept worse...for us I think the problem is that when she nurses, she snacks. When she gets bottles of BM, she eats more. And we are nursing pretty much exclusively at night. Which is also a problem because then I'm the one who has to be up all night, and DH gets to sleep.

So, as much as I really wanted to nurse her (Jim refused to nurse and that was emotionally hard for me), I'm wondering if we should switch to me exclusively pumping. I mean I have to pump anyway--I'm at work, plus, I make way more than she can eat and I don't like feeling engorged--so why not just switch to pumping exclusively? But I'm not emotionally ready to let go of nursing after not being able to nurse Jim...but sleep deprivation might just push me to that point soon!

March 8th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Quote:
It would probably help a baby sleep...but for those of us who are EBFers, we sacrifice some sleep to keep our babies EBFed...lol

I'm 100% ok with loosing some sleep ...plus I would be worried that Audrina might not take to formula well.. I have issues with digesting milk, so it's quite possible she might too.

March 9th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
brooke was ebf til last month. I was tired of hearing everyone asking to watch brooke for a little while and telling them no bc i didnt have milk pumped. i gave in and allowed her grandmother to give her a bottle of formula. since then she has had prolly 6 or 7 bottles of formula. i tried giving her a bottle at night and she still slept the same. i did that 3 times and it didnt do anything. now i am back to ebf.

March 9th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Wow j thought Alex was bad but comparing she is great goes down at. 7 and sleeps normally unfilled 12ish 2 if I am lucky and up every hour or two until 7amish. But I don't get to go to sleep untill Elise goes to bed

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search