tummy time advice

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Brooke hates tummy time. She only last for a minture before she is screaming at the top of her lungs. Any other babies like that? How do you get yours to do tummy time.

March 9th, 2012, 03:55 PM
debraf555's Avatar Luig's Momma!
Luigi sleeps on his tummy (bad mommy I know!) so that helped him learn to love tummy time. Have you tried enticing her with toys while on her tummy?
March 9th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
I used to lay down and put her on my tummy so we were belly to belly with Elise but for the most part she hated it until she learned to roll and could put herself there

March 10th, 2012, 02:56 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Honestly, I have been totally neglecting tummy-time. Audrina hated being on her tummy. Occasionally we'd sleep tummy-to-tummy but that was about all the tummy time she would get.

I was worried that she wouldn't develop properly because I kept reading about everyone else here making sure thier babies were getting tummy time in, but my doctor has never once brought it up (and we go over a lot at the well baby checkups).

Audrina is developing fine despite getting minimal tummy time. She can roll if she wants to, is trying to sit up, etc. Now when i do put her on her tummy, she tolerates it much more than she used to, and has no problem holding her upper body up. I can usually keep her happily on her tummy for about 5 minutes if I read her a colorful book.

She just prefers not to be on her tummy...and we're ok with that!

March 10th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think kids either like it or don't. And they tend to tolerate it better when they can roll off their tummy.

March 10th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I tried laying on my tummy by her, tried having toys there, putting a tummy pillow under her, nothing works. I am just worried that she isnt going to crawl or have strong neck and upper body strength. THe doctor at our last appointment said she is doing fine, but asked if i give her tummy time. I said not that much and was told to keep trying to give her it.

March 10th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Regular
We started D on tummy time when she was about 6 weeks old. She hated it at first, would only last about 2 minutes, then screamed her head off. We worked it up little by little and then by the time she was 2.5 months we had her at least 20 minutes at a time, 2 times/day.
Now that she's 5 months old, we put her on her back and then she rolls to her stomach to play and that's how she actually likes to play. she'll stay like that for 45 minutes about. but, it was all gradual. We've actually found that the sturdier the surfaces for tummy time. if we put her on our bed to lay with us, she won't like it on her tummy. now that she rolls all over, she rolls and sleeps on her stomach even though we put her on her back to sleep.
we have a hardwood floor, then a foam mat (like those letters) and she likes that. she'll also roll over to her tummy in her pack and play (those aren't that soft those mats inside there) so, maybe a semi hard surface with a little cushion, like a foam mat?
maybe that would help.
March 12th, 2012, 07:41 PM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jakob isn't a fan of tummy time..I only do it for a few minutes at a time, and I have to make sure we are right there to entertain him or he freaks out within 5 seconds...he can now roll, so most of the time he just rolls right to his back, but sometimes I think he forgets he can roll...another thing that helped was putting him on his belly on his boppy with toys...that kept him happy for longer.

March 12th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Super Mommy
Claire didn't like tummy time until she fiiiiiiiinally figured out to put her hands in front of her chest/prop on her elbows. She would always have her arms out like she was trying to fly, LOL! I would keep showing her where to put her elbows, but she'd immediately stick them back out and cry. One day, it just finally clicked. You could see her just looking around in amazement at how it was suddenly so much easier. She still doesn't like being on her belly for more than 5 minutes or so. She wants to sit up and look around, or lay on her back and play with her feet.

March 13th, 2012, 08:09 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Kieran hated it too. Until he could roll there himself, which was around 3.5 months. Now he prefers to play that way and has no problem with it. Some kids just don't like it and others only want it on their own terms. As long as she is developing fine (your doc would notice), I wouldn't stress about it.

Strangely enough, I don't think tummy sleeping even makes kids like tummy time. Kieran is a belly sleeper and still hated it when he was awake.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search