Pumping Moms

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ratladee

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2012, 07:29 PM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
This has probably been gone over before but I forget...

How much milk do you get when you pump?
My first AM Pumping I get 5oz, and then 3 oz every two hours after that. It goes up if I take supplements, drink more fluids, and eat oatmeal. I get to pump 4 times a day at work. I'm hoping I can keep up with her, I hear all these babies taking 7-9oz bottles and I'm like... wow. Madison gets 3oz OD but lately on her daycare sheet it says she's taking 4 oz.

Eep!

March 22nd, 2012, 06:59 AM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
I get 3-5 oz in the morning and 2-4 at night from one breast. David never took that big of a bottle so maybe she won't

March 22nd, 2012, 07:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Leila is still only taking 3-5 oz from a bottle when she eats... If she takes a 5 oz bottle she much fuller for much longer.. and tends to spit up a bit more. Leila is also about 14 lbs at the moment. Idk if that helps at all
March 22nd, 2012, 07:27 AM
Madison is probably 12.5 pounds now. OH and btw, I tried the Honey bun quaker oatmeal this morning and it is my new favorite!
VikingMamma likes this.

March 22nd, 2012, 08:13 AM
kazarmo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Schedule as follows.

Wake up Lina at 515 am and feed her one side.
Put her back to sleep and pump both sides. Today I barely got 2 ounces, yesterday I got 4 ounces.

Pump at 830 ish at work and usually get 5 ounces total.
Pump at 1130 ish at work and get about 3 to 4 ounces total.
Pump at 230 ish at work and get 2 to 4 ounces.

I also try and pump right before I go to bed at 10ish . 3 nights ago I got about 4 ounces, last night I didn’t even get 1 ounce. But she nursed for most of the evening.

So my total for the day is usually right around 14 to 16 ounces. She usually eats all that at daycare as of yesterday. Prior to that she wasn’t even finishing 2 ounce bottles.

I hope I can keep up too.

~~~~~~~~~~~
dd15 born weighing 6 pds 2 ounces, 19 inches. 12-3-96
dsd12
dsd10
dd9 months born weighing 6 pds 5 ounces, 19 1/2 inches. 12-22-2011
Expecting baby #3 ANOTHER GIRL!!!!!!! woot woot

March 22nd, 2012, 10:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
on average, i pump about 12oz while i'm at work. That is pumping 3 times during the day. Which is good, because she drinks (3) 4oz bottles at daycare. (i think she's about 14lbs)

8:30am +/- 5oz
11:30am +/- 4oz
2:30 +/- 3oz

When i get home in the afternoons, she nurses pretty much constantly until she finally falls asleep at 8:00ish and she sleeps all night. (*knock on wood*) I usually wake up in the mornings when she's starting to stir (i hear her making her grunting noises), which is about 5:00am, and i immediately go pump before she fully wakes up. I'm usually pretty full by that point & she still has a hard time handling the fast flow. So, i pump to get some relief & save whatever i get. This morning, i was able to pump out 7oz! (that was a ton, for me) and then i nurse her when she wakes up.

I realize if i didnt pump in the mornings, my body would adjust to her sleeping pattern, but i dont want it to. Because i do my morning pump too, i usually have a little (usually about 5oz) more than i'll need for the following day. It gives me a bit of cushion, in case she starts increasing her bottle feedings

If i'm remembering correctly, with my oldest, when he did eventually go up in ounces, he also went longer in between feedings. So, the TOTAL number of ounces throughout the day didnt really increase. Hope that helps.
March 22nd, 2012, 11:07 AM
KCMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I guess I'm the odd one here. I exclusively pump. I pump at 8am, noon, 4pm and 8 pm pretty much on schedule with how Mason eats. I get 10-11oz in the morning, about 6oz at noon and between 4-5 oz at the 4 and 8 feelings. He is taking 6-7oz bottles 4 times a day. We had to work up to him taking that much though. It has made our lives so much easier with this schedule, although I know a schedule isn't for everyone. Anyway, I'm able to keep up with him I do drink a gallon of water every day and eat oatmeal every morning so that probably helps too.

Thank you Julka for my beautifully, perfect siggy!!

March 22nd, 2012, 11:10 AM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I pump at work to replace a feeding, I get 5-7 oz. When I pump at home in between feedings (I don't do this everyday, just when my stash is getting low) I get 2-3 oz. She usually drinks 3-4 oz at a time when she gets a bottle.

March 22nd, 2012, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontan View Post
on average, i pump about 12oz while i'm at work. That is pumping 3 times during the day. Which is good, because she drinks (3) 4oz bottles at daycare. (i think she's about 14lbs)

8:30am +/- 5oz
11:30am +/- 4oz
2:30 +/- 3oz

When i get home in the afternoons, she nurses pretty much constantly until she finally falls asleep at 8:00ish and she sleeps all night. (*knock on wood*) I usually wake up in the mornings when she's starting to stir (i hear her making her grunting noises), which is about 5:00am, and i immediately go pump before she fully wakes up. I'm usually pretty full by that point & she still has a hard time handling the fast flow. So, i pump to get some relief & save whatever i get. This morning, i was able to pump out 7oz! (that was a ton, for me) and then i nurse her when she wakes up.

I realize if i didnt pump in the mornings, my body would adjust to her sleeping pattern, but i dont want it to. Because i do my morning pump too, i usually have a little (usually about 5oz) more than i'll need for the following day. It gives me a bit of cushion, in case she starts increasing her bottle feedings

If i'm remembering correctly, with my oldest, when he did eventually go up in ounces, he also went longer in between feedings. So, the TOTAL number of ounces throughout the day didnt really increase. Hope that helps.

Wow. This is exactly me!!! I pump in the night too if she doesn't wake up to eat, for your same reasoning.

March 22nd, 2012, 12:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratladee View Post
Wow. This is exactly me!!! I pump in the night too if she doesn't wake up to eat, for your same reasoning.
When she started sleeping through the night, i used to wake and pump in the middle of the night, because i didnt want my body to adjust. But gosh...sleeping through the night feels so good! lol Now, i just make sure that the moment i wake, i pump & then also nurse, so that i'm emptying my breasts as much as possible & my body doesnt start producing less.

So far, it's working. I'm not taking any supplements, but i have a few bottles of fenugreek that i'm going to pull out when my supply starts dropping. And i'll probably also start eating Oatmeal, since i've read a few of you say that it actually works.
March 22nd, 2012, 01:01 PM
Super Mommy
morning 4 out of each
every 3 hours thereafter 2 out of each
i dont pump at from 11pm to 6am

she only eats 18 to 24 oz a day

Last edited by heatherbug; March 22nd, 2012 at 06:29 PM.
March 22nd, 2012, 01:22 PM
Super Mommy
Wow! I'm jealous of what some of you are getting! I was exclusively pumping until this week - when we got to the point of only getting 1-2 ounces every 3-4 hours and only 4 ounces in the morning, I just couldn't do it anymore. It was draining me emotionally and then I was getting even less. Supplements didn't help at all. Just getting 12 ounces a day was not nearly enough - she's taking about 28-30 ounces a day now. So... We've made the move to formula. Good for all of you able to pump (and/or breastfeed!). I'm jealous.
March 22nd, 2012, 04:31 PM
littlebeansmommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I exclusively pump because my little one was a preemie and to get her sprung from the NICU we had to get her to eat.....we're working on breastfeeding, but she's not great at it yet.

Anyway, I want to put the disclaimer out there that I have a huge oversupply of milk (which makes me dread the day she actually nurses full time and I have to deal with not pumping it all out)

6:30am +/- 11oz
Every 4 hours after until last pumping at 10:30pm +/- 8oz

Yes, it's ok to go ahead and say it......"holy cow" pun very much intended
DS #1:

My precious angel DS#2:

My rainbow DS#3:

My Princess #4:
March 22nd, 2012, 06:59 PM
kazarmo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebeansmommy View Post
I exclusively pump because my little one was a preemie and to get her sprung from the NICU we had to get her to eat.....we're working on breastfeeding, but she's not great at it yet.

Anyway, I want to put the disclaimer out there that I have a huge oversupply of milk (which makes me dread the day she actually nurses full time and I have to deal with not pumping it all out)

6:30am +/- 11oz
Every 4 hours after until last pumping at 10:30pm +/- 8oz

Yes, it's ok to go ahead and say it......"holy cow" pun very much intended
Wow momma you're a milking machine. Come feed my baby too! lol

~~~~~~~~~~~
dd15 born weighing 6 pds 2 ounces, 19 inches. 12-3-96
dsd12
dsd10
dd9 months born weighing 6 pds 5 ounces, 19 1/2 inches. 12-22-2011
Expecting baby #3 ANOTHER GIRL!!!!!!! woot woot

March 23rd, 2012, 06:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I get 7oz when I pump before bed, 4-6oz when I pump to replace a missed feeding during the week. At work on the weekends I usually bring home 18oz from a 12 hour shift. He takes 3.5-4oz per bottle usually.

Expecting Baby #3, due September 9, 2014!

March 23rd, 2012, 06:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow interesting!

I also get the most milk in the morning. I usually pump 2-3X at work and get less as the day goes on. The first pump I usually get about 5oz, the second about 3.5-4 and the last about 3. Jon's been taking three 4oz. bottles while I'm working but tends to nurse a lot when we get home. Fortunately for me, I am only working 3 days a week and I have a nice stash so that takes the stress off. I know how stressful it is to live day by day trying to pump enough milk! With my daughter the most she ever took while I was working was 14oz. When she started with solids she would take a 7 oz bottle in the morning and a 7 oz. bottle in the afternoon at the sitter's. I didn't have to supplement with her until she was about 9 months old.

I also pump once in between feedings in the morning when I'm off and on the weekends and throw it in the freezer.
March 23rd, 2012, 08:34 AM
Lorena26's Avatar ♥ Gio's Mommy ♥
I don't pump all that often but i have been pumping once in the morning for a couple weeks now. I'm building up a frozen stash for the week or so that my sister is visiting and i will be out of the house with Gio a lot. In the morning i have been getting about 10ish ounces. If i just pump randomly during the day i'll get about 5oz. Gio doesn't always take 5oz if he gets a bottle if/when we are out of the house but a few times he has so i guess he's working up to it

March 23rd, 2012, 11:10 AM
~Momma*2011~'s Avatar I love my little girl!!
Caylyn is still only eating between 3.5 to 4oz anything more and she throw is up...

I have now gone to pumping on a schedule which makes things easier.. I even pump in the car if we are on the move during one of my pumping times.

i pump at 7am and get 16oz. (8 oz each side) I pump at 12pm and 5pm and get 10oz both times. I then pump at 10pm and get normally 15-16oz. I then pump at 2am and get 10 ounces.

March 25th, 2012, 11:14 AM
KCMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacklynA View Post
Caylyn is still only eating between 3.5 to 4oz anything more and she throw is up...

I have now gone to pumping on a schedule which makes things easier.. I even pump in the car if we are on the move during one of my pumping times.

i pump at 7am and get 16oz. (8 oz each side) I pump at 12pm and 5pm and get 10oz both times. I then pump at 10pm and get normally 15-16oz. I then pump at 2am and get 10 ounces.
Holy moly...are you saying you pump 61 oz per day??? That's an insane amount of milk!

Thank you Julka for my beautifully, perfect siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search