Television

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Ok, I know this is AWFUL, but I let Audrina watch tv...

Since she was a tiny little baby, she has liked watching it, and I thought it was totally normal, because of lights and whatnot would be interesting to a baby. My friends however say their kids didn't even show an interest in TV until they were 2 or so lol.

We spend a lot of our days in the family room, where the tv is. I never have anything inappropriate on...so I hope I'm not rotting her mind by letting her watch TV while I putter around the house. She LOVES Rolie Polie Olie...and sometimes it's the only thing that will keep her happy for more than 3 minutes so I can get a little housework done...

Anyone else have a tv-loving baby?

March 27th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
We are also always in the livingroom and i generally have the TV on PBS even if only for background noise, im not sure how much he really likes it, he will stare for a minute or two from time to time

March 27th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
It depends on the baby Alex roentgen's really watch it except wheni put Micky mouse on for Elise but with Elise we never had Kt on but dh watched the price is rigth with her while I showered and she loved it lol

March 27th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
People our age watched a TON of television as kids and I think we turned out pretty OK, so I just don't worry that much about it. I think as long as you also do stuff outside and read to your kids and interact with them, it's not going to keep them out of college if you have the TV on in your house. Everything in moderation.

Maggie is a huge fan of sports, especially basketball. I think it's the bright colors bouncing across the screen, KWIM? She has little to no interest in most other shows. When Jim was a baby, he was a big fan of Ellen. Anytime he heard her voice, he was transfixed!

March 27th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Tina_Marie's Avatar Mommy2Boys
Were always in the living room and the TV is usually always on. Karson loves to watch Mickey, PBS Kids or anything on Disney (thats what my 6yr old watches). If there is a game on (any kind) Karson loves it!! I dont think its really all that bad. Braylon watched it when he was little and he is ok. He loved movies especially Finding Nemo!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy

March 27th, 2012, 10:29 AM
PinkCloud's Avatar It's a girl!!!
We have a channel called Baby's First TV which are programs aimed at babies. I put it on for Paige in the morning while I eat a bowl of cereal and get dressed. It's usually for 15 min tops. At night when I'm getting dinner ready I put it on for her again. I don't think it's bad for her because all day long we are playing, reading books, ect. and we do that far more than she watches tv.
March 27th, 2012, 11:38 AM
lindz_fay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I always turn on the tv in the morning and put Cooper on his playmat near it while I pump and have some coffee and breakfast. I think he likes the colors and movement. I agree with Beth. Everything in moderation. My older 2 watched tv and still do but also love reading and playing outside.

thank you bri_91 for my siggy

March 27th, 2012, 12:07 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Freakanomics did a huge longitudal study on kids and what effects their school performance in the long run...and TV was one thing that did NOT affect testing, intelligence, or social aptitude. (neither did having a SAHM or reading books to the kids...but simply HAVING a lot of books did). Pretty cool study if you ever want to read it. I believe it was a textbook for one of my classes.

And yes, kieran loves TV. Particularly Mickey. He turns as soon as the theme song comes on. I see nothing wrong with TV. Kids can learn a lot from it, from social graces to family situations, to colors and letters and counting. A long as it is not the only entertainment you provide (like you take her to the park, read, play with toys, walk the dog, etc), she will be fine for watching it here and there. Liam loves TV and I have no problem with him watching a movie or shows before bed. He is plenty smart. My mom distinctly remembers letting me watch The Little Mermaid three times a day for a solid month because I was obsessed with it. I turned out just fine
March 27th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Wow! I feel so much better now!

And I was always wondering if there were studies on this matter...

Audri gets lots of interaction with me, so I'm not like, letting the TV babysit or anything Now I won't feel so guilty. hah!

March 27th, 2012, 01:23 PM
MissMac's Avatar Amelia's Mommy
Amelia gets a half hour of TV in the morning, usually an episode of Yo Gabba Gabba (we DVR it), which gives me time to get a few things done.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum!

March 27th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i wouldnt get to eat breakfast if it wasnt for Dora the Explorer
March 30th, 2012, 07:14 PM
debraf555's Avatar Luig's Momma!
Luigi loves TV . . . and I love that if he gets into a show I usually have 20 minutes or so to get some things done around the house!

Yo Gabba Gabba is actually part of his night time routine. He watches it while I am getting his bath, PJs etc ready.
April 3rd, 2012, 10:06 AM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our tv is always on....My oldest daughter has loved watching tv since a baby, and can't walk into a room without standing and watching the tv for a minute...She's almost 13 and gets straight A's, reads and plays the violin...I don't think it did any harm...I've always let my kids watch tv from a young age, but they still do other things...Jakob is sometimes interested in the tv, but not for long...This morning he sat on my lap and watched blues clues...I can't wait for him to get more into the tv, and he can watch some of the kids old DVD's that I saved...I can't wait till we get the new disney Jr channel, they are going to show old shows that my older kids watched when they were little...Oh and he watched some yo gabba gabba the other day and liked it (I think he liked the colors)...My DH swears he loves soccer (I posted a video of it on my facebook the other day)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search