Sleep Questions

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By debraf555

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2012, 04:59 AM
debraf555's Avatar Luig's Momma!
For the past 3 weeks Luigi has had the craziest sleep schedule. He went from sleeping through the night to sleeping from 9pm to 1130pm and then waking up every hour on the hour till he gets up for the day at 630am.

I am sooooooo exhausted and DONE! I have no idea what to do anymore. He isn't fussy at all during the day and still takes regular consistent naps. What happened and is there anything I can do to change his habits?

I have heard from numerous people that we need to let him cry it out. I don't think I can do that. Has anyone ever tried that and what were the results?
April 20th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
I personally do not CIO, never ever. Personally I would rather not sleep all night and have my children know that I am always there for them, than listen to them scream for hours, until they figure out that mom is not coming back at night.... But from everyone, ive spoken to, who has tried sleep training (including CIO) it will work for most babies if you stick to it.

My oldest son is almost 21 months old, he has never been left to cry alone in his crib and he does sleep all night now, he was 16 months old when he stated STTN but he did it when he was ready, and thats ok with me

Do you rock or feed Luigi to sleep? or does he fall asleep on his own? I found that my kids sleep better if they fall asleep on their own, so for us that means laying baby down in his crib (or wherever you have him sleeping) full, drowsy but not sleeping, if they fuss or cry I comfort by rubbing his hair, patting his back, singing a song, or picking baby up until they calm again (but you could do whatever calms Luigi) and then let them fall asleep on their own. It takes a while at first but baby will learn how to put themselves to sleep. If your baby doesnt know how to get to sleep without you they will cry at night anytime they wake (even if they are not hungry) think about it, adults wake up multiple times a night, we get comfy again and fall back to sleep because we know how to fall asleep on our own, once your baby knows how to fall asleep on their own they can do the same.

sorry for the novel, my oldest son was the worst sleeper on earth and ive read a TON on sleep and tried many many things, and the best thing we ever did was teach him to fall asleep on his own, it seems to be working well with Will now, we only resently started (within the last 2 weeks) and he usually falls asleep on his own without any additional comfort at nap and bed time, as well as after a night time feeding, and he generally wakes 1-2 times at night (sometimes 3 but that is very seldom)

if you have any questions or i didnt explain it properly i can get you some links and resources for you to check out

April 20th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Babies go through a 6 month growth spurt, so maybe that is what's going on? The also cab have 4 and 9 month sleep regressions, which is what happened to us at 4 months.

Audrina went from STTN to being up every 2 hours. This week, after 2 months of bad sleep, I started swaddling her again and what a difference!

It sounds like he's having a growth spurt to me. I'm sure it will pass! I know how tiring it can be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Wristwatch View Post
I personally do not CIO, never ever. Personally I would rather not sleep all night and have my children know that I am always there for them, than listen to them scream for hours, until they figure out that mom is not coming back at night....
Ditto!

It makes me sick to think about letting Audrina CIO. It feels intinctually wrong!

April 20th, 2012, 10:43 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I fell into the CIO trap with my first. And I will say...it worked. But I still regret doing it, almost daily. I feel like i failed him as a mother by putting my needs above his and forcing him to learn that even though he wanted comfort and snuggles, i was not giving them to him. I would never recommend it to another mother. I can't believe people still advocate it. It was against my instincts and it left me feeling sick. I was just ignorant (not on JM yet and had very unsupportive people around me) and let other people persuade me that Liams sleeping was abnormal and I needed to "fix" it. It took about a week because I would not just let him scream for hours on end (15 minutes was torture as it was). and then I would go to him, talk and rub his back before leaving again. Bu, like I said, it is my biggest and worst regret as a parent.

So anyway...I agree with Bree on the putting themselves to sleep thing. I find that kieran is a lot better of a sleeper when I don't feed him down. When I lay him down awake, so he can settle himself again later in the night. He was actually really easy to teach to lay himself down, i am not sure it would have been nearly as successful with liam. Now, kieran is not a good sleeper over all (we are up every 2-3 hours all night), but he is better than Liam who was every hour until he was 10 months (when I did CIO).

Honestly, it does suck. And I have no good advice because I have never done it on the child's schedule and let them sttn when they are ready. I am right there with you, wondering if it will get better on its own.
April 20th, 2012, 12:36 PM
lindz_fay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with everyone else. I won't judge but CIO is not for me. I never did it with my older 2 and thet are great sleepers. I think they go through stages. Cooper has never slept more than 5 hours at a time but he has gone through stages where it gets worse and then better again. I am sure Luigi is going through a stage and will get back to his old ways soon. Good luck.

thank you bri_91 for my siggy

April 20th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
I agree with the don't feed him them down to sleep I still put Alex to bed asleep but I don't feed her to sleep it helps but it sounds like agrowth spurt hope he gets back to normal soon

April 22nd, 2012, 08:32 AM
debraf555's Avatar Luig's Momma!
Thanks for all the advice and support! It looks like Luigi's sleep strike is coming to an end! I have been putting him down drowsy and not asleep . . . he fights a little but is easily consoled. I have also been trying to get him take his naps at the same time during the day and feeding him a little more consistently. I am not sure what is helping him sleep better but I am going to keep this schedule up. He seems to be responding well to being on more of a routine. He has slept 12 hours the past two nights and has only woke up for a bottle once each night.

DH and I decided that we would not try CIO. My gut was against it and the more I read about the other options out there our minds were made up. I would rather continue being more of an on demand parent than try to force a 6 month old to follow a schedule that is designed to get ME more sleep!
Urchin and ashj_1218 like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search