Flying with a baby

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WendyBird

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2012, 08:12 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
So, I just booked a flight for Marsi and I to see my parents in June. It will just be us. DH isn't coming with us. Is there anything that I should know about travels with babies? She is flying in lap since there is absolutely no way we can afford her to have her own seat.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

April 25th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Yes you cannot sit in infront or behind the exit row, it is more important to feed on the way down than up ( dh flies a few times a week for the coast guard) you'd ears automatically pop on the way up over pack bring snacks, toys mabey new ones like from the dollar store so there new but now a big deal when they get lost. Oh and it will be a pain but if you are bringing it gate check your carseat it is treated better and less likely to get lost

That's it I think oh and you'll do great have fun

April 25th, 2012, 11:30 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
^^she pretty much covered it! We brought Liam's paci, which was a lifesaver for the ear popping. I also recommend a sling or carrier, if you have one. You can't wear it during take off or landing, but while you are in the air, it is nice to have for bathroom trips (wearing her) and if she falls asleep. I brought my Mai tie and was glad to have it. Also, bring snacks for you and her in case of delays. And try not to stress about how she will do. Chances are she will be fine! I agree with gate checking the carseat. If you have it, the infant seat is easier to travel with than the big carseat!
April 25th, 2012, 11:45 AM
If I bring my Moby, is she able to be in it during lift off and landing? Do you know if a carseat is considered a checked bag? I need to call the airline to make absolutely sure.

April 25th, 2012, 11:53 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
They told me to take Liam out during lift off and landing...I did not fully understand why. But they didn't check during descent, so I left him in it. It seemed safer to me, but since it was not airline approved, they said to take him out. But as soon as I could put him on, I did. I think the seats in the back of the plane are the best for babies, since there are fewer people walking by you.

Our carseat did not count as a bag at all. We were going to Florida for a week and honestly would have had his parents buy one for us if they had counted it as a bag...we needed every ounce of space we were allotted (we also did not buy a seat for Liam). But I imagine that some airlines might have different rules, so I would check to be sure. But I doubt it. We actually gate checked both our stroller and carseat.
April 26th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I'm a pretty seasoned flyer with a baby. LOL In fact, me and Jocelyn are flying for a get away tomorrow. Here's my advice... Take your Moby, stroller, car seat, diaper bag, your carry on all to the gate with you. It's a lot, and it can be a pain, but the stroller, car seat, and diaper bag do NOT count as luggage. If you bring your stroller, you will have a way to carry it all. Use if for your bags and car seat, and put Marsi in your Moby.

When you go through security, you'll have to take her out of the moby, but just do it and then put her back in. Also, can't have her in it during take off or landing. Why, I just don't know, it seems so much safer. But, oh well. Rules, you know?

When you get to the gate, ask if the flight is full. If it isn't, you can take her car seat onto the plane with you and she can have her own seat. Otherwise, gate check the stroller and the car seat then.

Also, call the airline now about your seat. See if you can get a bulkhead. That way you'll have all that room on the floor to put a blanket down and let her play.

Nurse/bottle/pacifier her on the way up and down to help her ears.

Have fun!
MrsR likes this.

April 26th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Thank you so much Wendy! That is so helpful!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search