Rear Facing or Forward Facing?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Co Host - July 2011 PR
Has anyone's LO's started facing fowards in their car seats?

Charlie is like a lb away from being able to so we've put him forward facing. He used to HATE his car seat and scream constantly until he fell asleep (which would usually end up being when we were 2 min away from where we were going) but since we put him forward facing he's totally fine in the car now

Proud mama to 10 month old, Charlie <3 !
May 6th, 2012, 12:17 PM
MissImpatientlyWaiting's Avatar Super Mommy
No they are supposed to stay rear facing till they are at least 1 yr old and 20 lbs. New guidelines want them to stay till they are 2 yrs old because their neck muscles aren't strong enough in a sudden stop. Are you in the US? If you are I think you can actually get a ticket for having them in a carseat incorrectly under age 1. I feel your pain, Caleb is starting to hate the carseat too. I practically have to lay on top of him to strap him in, but we won't be turning him till he is over a year and maybe closer to 2 depending on his height and how comfy his legs are. Check out the car seat board there is a lot of info over there.
May 6th, 2012, 05:09 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Zoey is still rearfacing

May 6th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Co Host - July 2011 PR
No I'm in Canada. The care seat we have says that as long as he's 20lbs he can go forward facing (the last time we weighed him he was 19+).

Wait.. just checked and you are absolutely right! Just goes to show you should always do a little more research and not just go by what the label on the car seat says.

Since now I have to switch his carseat around what do I do about his head slumping forwards? A big reason why I couldn't wait to turn him around was because when he falls asleep his head completely slumps forwards (to the point where I'm scared it will block his airway)

May 6th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Super Mommy
He is still rear facing, but his legs are all scrunched. I originally wanted to wait until he was 2 years old to move him forward facing, but we may end up switching him when he's a year old. He is just so miserable in his seat because he can't see out the window and he doesn't have the leg room.

May 6th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Co Host - July 2011 PR
Yeah Charlie is the same way. They don't really make car seats too comfy for them rear facing when they start getting bigger.

May 7th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Susie is a petite little thing. She is still in her infant seat and rear facing. I wont move her till probably 2 years old.

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

May 7th, 2012, 07:00 AM
MissImpatientlyWaiting's Avatar Super Mommy
I have Caleb in a Maxi Cosi Priori, I absolutely LOVE it. Because of the way it is shaped his head falls sideways rather that forward, but since you already have a seat I'm sure you don't want to buy another. Check Walmart They have headrests and neck rolls and they have these things that go over the carseat straps that help catch their heads.
May 7th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Loving6's Avatar Formerly Loving4
Ariea is still rear facing.She has a wonder neck,she will turn her head nearly all the way around to see me or DH drive!!

Mom to Dustin Jr, Jarren, Nathan, Alivia, Ava, & Ariea

May 8th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Emma is still rear-facing for now. We will probably move her after her first birthday.

10 weeks

May 8th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Destiny
rear-facing. I'm pretty sure it's not entirely legal to have them forward-facing this young. I can almost always sit in the back with them, so I've never had to deal with my kids feeling abandoned because they can't see me in the car.

May 9th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Co Host - July 2011 PR
I don't think Charlie's issue is that he can't see me. It's that he can't really see anything other than the back of the seat. He likes being able to look around and see out the window.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search