BFers - I have a questions regarding supply

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2012, 12:03 PM
DaniB+4's Avatar Super Moderator
So, on Sunday I traveled up to NE PA to conduct a team meeting for my business. I left my house at 10 AM and did not return home until 8:30 PM. During that time I did not nurse at all, obviously, since the baby stayed with John. I brought my pump with the intention of expressing about halfway through the day, but dumb*** me left BOTH plugs at the house so I had no way of powering the stupid thing. So, I went all that time without removing any milk from my boobs. Needless to say, I wanted to die when I got home - boobs were hard as rocks and leaking all over the darn place. Ouch!

Anyway, ever since then I am noticing not much of a letdown (which I ALWAYS felt ever since Miles was born) and he is not really "drinking" much when he's on the boob. Did I screw my supply up with just one day of skipped feedings? I feel really bad if that's the case. I had posted last week that Miles has seemed to be on a nursing strike and while he has been making some efforts to nurse lately it's still few and far between. He went 8 1/2 hours last night which is abnormal for him. Could it be that the reason he's so fussy at the breast is because it's too much work for too little milk? Between the nursing strikes and my dumb self not being able to pump on Sunday I guess I could've done some damage to my supply . I was just telling John that I am worried that Miles isn't getting enough milk-based nutrition, or even fluids for that matter. He's making some wet diapers but his poop is backed up and only coming out in hard balls,which could be a sign of inadequate fluid intake. He will gobble up the solids but is just not interested in boob. What gives? I am really worried because if he self-weans from the breast or I just dry up on my own I don't know what to do for him since he absolutely refuses to drink formula. I honestly have no desire to become an EP mama so pumping & cup feeding is not an option. I don't respond well to the pump unless I'm massively engorged, so even if I EP I'd be lucky to get 5-7 ounces a day for him which means I'd still have to supplement anyway.

Advice? Are the other BFed babies slowing down on the amount of times at the breast and how long they're actually drinking while nursing (versus just comfort/play sucking)? Is it normal for nursing to become secondary to solids so early? What do I do for a BFed baby who is unsatisfied at the boob but won't take formula?

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

May 9th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The only advice I can really give is that Katelyn rarely nurses more than 5 minutes at a time these days. Night/bedtime and when she first wakes up are the only exceptions.
Have you tried eating foods that help with milk production?
Have you talked to his pediatrician and or a lactation consultant?

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

May 9th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
The quick answer is no, you didn't mess up your supply with one day of not nursing. You can definitely rebound by nursing and/or pumping often. I'll be back with more suggestions when Keelan is not being a fuss-bucket.
May 9th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Veteran
I'm so sorry to hear your having troubles. I can share that whenever I eat steel cut oatmeal (not instant) I start producing more. There's actually a quick cooking version at trader joes (in a yellow canister) that works miracles.

As for the hard poops we just went through the same hing as Josie has been drinking and nursing. I guess if they are really into solids it can happen no matter what. Have you tried a glycerin suppository. You can get those OTC at any drug store. Also we did a half capful of miralax in about 4 oz of water. She didn't drink the whole thing and I kept adding ice cubes but it did the job. I mean this girl has been crying with most poops and she did two stealth ones right after I gave it to her. I feel so bad for letting her suffer so long!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search