Hmmm' I have a thought! (yes, just one :D)

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 10th, 2012, 12:49 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
So Beth had this notion of Maggie spitting up a lot from lots of foremilk. And she also doesn't sleep well. And if I remember correctly, Maggie is a good size little one (aka: on the bigger end of the spectrum).

So....I wonder if kieran, who might be the worlds worst sleeper at this juncture!, is getting too much foremilk and it is not keeping him satisfied for longer periods of sleep??

It was just a random pinging or ideas around my brain. But I talked to kierans doc yesterday a little about the sleep thing. He went in just to check to make sure his ears were clear. And she mentioned that his size might play a role...since he is soooo big, but still growing at a rapid clip, he needs more calories to sustain his body and therefore might really need to nurse a couple times at night (she did say that every hour was excessive! ) Which makes sense. Most kids kierans size are much older and their growth has slowed and their caloric needs go down.

And then last night, when I was nursing him before bed, he was practically choking on the milk because I had nursed on the other side earlier and it was soooo full. He only nursed for 3 or so minutes (prolly getting plenty because he has to gulp it down)...but I wonder if he got 99% foremilk, which was digested and gone in just a couple hours?

Maybe I am going to try nursing all on the right side (my big producer) In the afternoon and evening thru bedtime and see if that makes a difference. Maybe I stopped block feeding too soon. His sleep has regressed in the past 2 months. He was doing 3-4 hour blocks at 6 months and we are down to less than 2 hours at any given time.

Anyway...there's no question. Just random talking
May 10th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
That coulddefinatly be it Alex is still not a good sleeper and huge too although I think it depends on the baby too Elise was a big baby too and only woke once in twelve hours untill about ten months and cut ghat waking out

May 10th, 2012, 05:54 PM
lindz_fay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Makes sense to me. Hope changing it up helps. Cooper is a big dude and still wakes up to eat 2 times at night. He did go through a stage of waking even more often but is doing better again. Thankfully he eats and goes right back to sleep.

thank you bri_91 for my siggy

May 10th, 2012, 09:09 PM
lulumama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's definitely worth a try!

How is he with solids? Owen has starting sleeping a lot better now that he's really established on solids. I try to give him avocado at lunch and dinner bc it's fatty and will digest more slowly. He really can pack away the food.

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

Blessed with our Maui Miracle - Owen Kekoa, born 9/19/11 at 35w3d!
May 11th, 2012, 04:16 PM
ResilientSmile's Avatar Super Mommy
Could be. I was also block feeding for a while. How are his poops? Green and frothy? That was one signal that Lila was not emptying my breasts before I was switching to the next side. The foremilk is lower in fat and higher in sugar I believe.
May 12th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
I hope that you can find a solution...it must be so frustrating to be having bfing issues at this point.

I know in the beginning Audrina was only getting foremilk because she'd fall asleep before she could get to the hindmilk and it was like a viscious cycle of her being hungry and not sleeping.

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

Last edited by Urchin; May 12th, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
May 18th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That does make sense to me. Brooke used to snack all day. I would feed her for 10 mins on one side then 10 on the other. THe doctor told me to try to feed her only on one side a feeding. Once she started eating 20 mins or so all from the same side it did seem to help her. I think she was getting alot of foremilk before.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search