Red bumps on baby's scalp

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Super Mommy
Brady has these spots on his scalp... kind of like zits... they're raised, red bumps that showed up about 2 months ago and come and go, but never fully go away. Most of the time they have whiteheads, so the doctor called them "pustules" (gag). She recommended using Selsen Blue once a week. That seems to make them bigger, dryer and ANGRIER.

We've tried washing his head with Cetaphil facewash (which really helped with his baby acne when he was small) and that didn't really improve it. So then she said we could try Neosporin but that doesn't seem to be doing anything either.

They don't seem to hurt him and the doctor said they're harmless, but they look bad and it stinks to kiss your baby's head (which we're constantly doing) and your lips meet something hard and crusty... ick!

Any recommendations? I can't find hardly anything on the Internet or in books about this and I'm stumped as to what to try next!
May 11th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Bummer, sounds no fun! I've never heard of anything like that. Kynslee has been having something similar but around her mouth but no whiteheads. Around her mouth has been crusty(almost like dry skin except isn't) and gets red blotches that looks similar to acne and rash. I haven't really tried to use anything as I don't know what it is.

Hope someone else has more help for you. BTW - if you don't get a response over the weekend try bumping again early next week as some moms are not on over the weekend. But, hopefully someone will have some more advice.
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6

May 11th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'd try an eczema baby wash. Make sure you dry his head really well after washing it as dampness can irritate any skin problem. If your doctor can't be any more helpful and it really bothers you you can always ask to see a dermatologist. Good luck!

Ashley: kind of sounds like she might be teething.

May 15th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks! I had DH pick up some Aveeno eczema soap and moisturizer last night. I don't have a lot of experience with eczema, but I know it's usually itchy and red and I thought people with eczema usually had dry skin. Brady's scalp seems oily, but maybe this is a form of eczema, who knows.

I also had DH pick up Selsen Blue because I realized that that's what the doctor recommended, but we had tried Head & Shoulders and after doing some research, it seems that they are pretty different.

But it definitely seems to be getting worse, so if neither of these things fix it I think I will have to ask for a referral to a dermatologist (which I'm sure will take forever, but oh well). I know with babies, a lot of times they say to just leave things alone and it will naturally take care of itself but this just doesn't look right.

Another idea I had... what if I tried exfoliating his scalp with a soft toothbrush, like what the doctor recommended when he had cradle cap? Or what if I quit using soaps on it all together and just rinsed it with water every night? Thoughts?
May 16th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't use the toothbrush. It could worsen the bumps or make them painful. Not to mention that if the bumps break open it could lead to an infection.

Eczema is usually a dry skin issue, but when I get a breakout on my scalp it tends to be oily. Hopefully, you'll find something that helps.

May 16th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree that I wouldn't use a toothbrush. You don't know for sure what those whiteheads are and you don't want the puss inside to spread anymore if you break them open.

Maybe try Aquaphor (uploaded a pic below). A friend (who's older and has 5 kids from 1-17) and seems to have a great knowledge of things recommended Aquaphor to me when Kynslee had a bad diaper rash. The rash healed almost overnight with it. She has a Down Syndrome boy and he gets bad dry skin and told me this is the main thing that helps with him. Couldn't hurt to try. I just purchased at Walmart with the baby things but my friend says you can also get it in the cosmetic department with the special lotions. But, I'd try baby department first as that is specific for baby.

May 16th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks for the advice! I'll try Aquaphor next. I'll just keep plugging away and update you guys when something finally works!
May 16th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Good luck - hope something works for Brady! Poor little man Maybe you could call a dermatologist office and see if they have any recommendations. I know sometimes if you call a doctor's office they will occasionally recommend something. Maybe they have some other advice. If you think it doesn't look right - go with your motherly instincts. Best be safe then sorry later.

Last edited by momie2b9-20-11; May 16th, 2012 at 11:38 AM.
May 22nd, 2012, 09:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
How are his bumps? Any better? Worse?

May 22nd, 2012, 01:33 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks for asking! They are much, much better- I was waiting a few more days before saying anything just in case this was just one round and they'll come back (that's happened before) but for now at least it seems the Aveeno eczema soap is doing the trick! I'm cautiously optimistic anyway.

Of course, now I'm kicking myself that neither the pediatrician or I thought of that sooner, but it didn't fit the textbook definition of eczema. That's why you ladies and your advice are wonderful!
May 22nd, 2012, 01:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So glad that it seems to be getting better! Hope it continues to get better and not come back worse. I agree that it's so nice to be able ask questions and get different moms answers. There so many different answers and techniques that there is no way person can know them all so it's so wonderful to get different advice and try different things!

May 23rd, 2012, 03:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So glad to hear that his scalp is looking better. Hopefully, the eczema soap continues to work for Brady.

May 30th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Super Mommy
Brady's bumps are back. I really thought the eczema soap did the trick! I think we jinxed it, we saw family over the weekend and they were saying his scalp looked so much better and were commending us for figuring it out when the doctor wasn't much help and then the next day, boom! they're back.
May 30th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry!! Hope that you figure out something else that works and stays working good and the bumps go completely away!

May 30th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Mom2twolittlemen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2twolittlemen Send a message via MSN to Mom2twolittlemen
Okay, this is what I think you need to try. Dont rub his scalp with any thing heftier than Johnsons baby soap. AFTER you dry his head well, use a little California Baby Cream. Do it every day for an entire week. My pedi has recommended this stuff for numerous things and its like MIRACLE CREAM!

I would apply twice or three times per day. Avoid hats!

May 31st, 2012, 10:44 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks for the tip! Any specific instructions as to which type of California Baby Cream? I did a quick search on Amazon and saw there were a lot of different varieties, so I wanted to check!
June 5th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Super Mommy
I think we finally found something that works! 1% hydrocortizone cream (like Cortizone 10). It says it's a treatment for sebborheic dermatitis, which is pretty common and apparently what Brady has, according to the last doctor we talked to. We've been putting it on once at night right after his bath and once in the morning before leaving for daycare and it's really helping!
June 5th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yay for finding something that works!! Hope it continues to do work!

June 7th, 2012, 05:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So glad your doctor figured it out. Hopefully the little guy's skin continues to improve and you can get a little relieve from worrying.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search