Garage Sale Shopping

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By momie2b9-20-11
  • 1 Post By momie2b9-20-11
  • 1 Post By Babymakes8

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2012, 06:29 AM
Super Mommy
There's nothing I love more than a bargain and previously, I've been to garage sales with my grandma (who is the queen of garage sale hunting!). I talked to her on Sunday and I think we're going to go this upcoming Saturday morning. Yay!

I know some of you guys have mentioned going to yard/garage sales quite a bit and I want to look for some baby stuff, so I thought I'd throw it out there to see if some of you veterans had any tips for me! What types of things should I be looking for? What's good to avoid? How much do you pay for stuff? How do you clean it when you get it home?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks, ladies, have a great week!
May 21st, 2012, 10:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
DH and I LOVE to go garage sale shopping!! We go almost every Saturday during the Spring and Fall.

I buy whatever I need at yard sales as far as baby goes. Unless horribly dirty, stained, or if smells like smoke. I'd avoid anything that smells of cigarette smoke (unless you don't mind it) as it's super hard to get the smell out. That's the main things I avoid as most other things can be properly sanitized once home. I sometimes take a look at the parents (for baby items) or their kids - if the parents and kids look like slobs(sorry if sounding mean but true) I tend to not buy items as you don't know how dirty the house may be.

If you are looking for clothes look for those that are neatly arranged and not just thrown in a pile. I also will go through totes. It's clothes that are in a messy heap that I sometimes don't bother to dig through as for some reason it seems lots have stains or are dirty. Clothes that are on hangers are sometimes a little more pricey but are also usually the nice items and often full outfits. The hanging clothes if you don't mind paying around $2+ dollars are often the nicest clothing. I tend to pay $0.25-0.50 for onesies unless super cute or something she really needs. As I've learned if not at that yard sale then they will be at another for that cheap. Jeans/pants (and dresses/skirts for those with girls) I will pay up to $1 for unless super nice. Clothes on hangers that are full outfits I don't mind paying more for if they are really nice. Like I stated, if you don't find it (as far as clothes goes) you may find it at the next sale that has baby clothes for cheaper. I'm more picky on prices as we go often but if you go this weekend then you may be willing to pay more for prices. But, I NEVER pay more then $1 for a onesie unless super special! As onesies are usually the most common thing a yard sales for baby clothes. I also buy toys for Kynslee as they are so much cheaper then buying new. And, books are a good thing if you need some. Books I usually don't pay more then $0.50 for unless they do something special (play music, pop up, ect.. ) as they are sometimes also easy to find at yard sales. But, again if you don't go too often or are not going to many you may be willing to pay more. For toys I do pay more for depending on size and what they do. Just a small little toy I don't spend much on but a toy that makes noise and moves I sometimes pay up to $5 if really really nice but more around $3. Baby toys that is - If you're looking for older boys/girls toys then it's easier to be willing to pay more for as they won't 'outgrow' the toys so fast hopefully.

As far as cleaning goes. I always wash every single piece of clothing before it ever touches Kynslee. I usually hang it out to dry also so it gets the fresh air. If buying stuffed animals(which I don't too often as we have plenty - lol) I wash them or if not washable spray with lysol and then fabreeze(sp?) and then put outside to 'air out'. I always spray the toys down with lysol or if a big item (like we bough a kitchen last week for Kynslee when she's older) I wipe down with Clorox/lysol wipes and get it all cleaned that way. If the toys can be washed with soap and water I sometimes also do that after I do the lysol. Just always be sure and let the toys sit for several hours after spraying lysol - but, I'm sure you know that.

If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask. I buy about 70% or more of Kynslee's things at yardsales as it's so much cheaper and we go so often I have experience and LOVE doing it!
mom2moose likes this.
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6
May 21st, 2012, 11:46 AM
mom2moose
I think prices probably depend on where you live. Around here, I won't pay more than a dollar for most things. I NEVER buy: car seats or cribs used. Also, I try to buy mostly clothes. Especially feetie pj's. Right now, I'm buying Frinn and Moose's stuff for next winter. So, for him, sizes 18 months to 2T.

Good luck and hope you find LOTS!!
May 21st, 2012, 01:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes, I agree that depends on area. Some areas I no longer go to as they are almost always higher prices. The only things that I'll pay more then $1 for is hanging clothes and even then only if super cute and it's something she needs.

Ditto the footed pj's - they are pricey at stores and I find cute ones.

Also, don't buy clothes that look worn out. I've bought a few things that I though would have lots of life left (even though slightly worn) but after about 2 washes were so worn looking that they became just around the house clothes. I don't know why I bought it - maybe because super cute and thought wasn't too worn, not sure but just stay to really nice like new items. You CAN find them just look and be picky. I started doing that and still come home with good buys and fantastic clothes!
mom2moose likes this.
May 22nd, 2012, 06:01 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I love yard sales! I won't buy anything I consider 1 person use - breast pumps, bottles, underwear/diapers, cribs and car seats. Otherwise, if it's in good shape and the right price, I'd buy it. I aim for about 50% off retail and I am generally on a mission to find something so I know how much it costs at the store to compare to the yard sale price.

Facebook
May 22nd, 2012, 12:37 PM
Super Mommy
Great advice, ladies! I'm really excited to go. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but I'm hoping to find some good stuff, especially for the summer. I'd like to get him some shorts, onesies, zipper footed pajamas (Brady is way too squirmy to tolerate the snaps now!), some dress clothes and books too. Hats and sandals too, as long as they aren't too worn or dirty. I'll let you know how I make out!
May 23rd, 2012, 09:56 AM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love yardsales!! I started Squeakers ward robe last summer from yard sales. One yard sale, the lady had a whole table of infant girl clothes all the way up to 2T. I asked what she would want for everything - as so much of it was super cute and I couldn't make up my mind! She told me $12 for everything, but she really wanted a fresh blueberry and a fresh peach pie - so I ran home, baked her 2 pies, and traded those pies for all the baby girl clothes! Some I kept, some I donated to a local group that helps out moms in need, and some I gave to my cousin(s) who were preggers with girls, too.

We are having our own yard sale this weekend. Squeakers has SO MUCH cute stuff she has grown out of. I'm pricing the items at what I would want to pay if I was the one buying - socks 25 cents a pair, 50 cents for onesies, tops, bottoms, and $1 for complete outfits. Her fancy dresses that I paid good money for are $2-$3 each. I make sure nothing has rips, tears, or stains when I sell.
mom2moose likes this.

May 24th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babymakes8 View Post
I love yardsales!! I started Squeakers ward robe last summer from yard sales. One yard sale, the lady had a whole table of infant girl clothes all the way up to 2T. I asked what she would want for everything - as so much of it was super cute and I couldn't make up my mind! She told me $12 for everything, but she really wanted a fresh blueberry and a fresh peach pie - so I ran home, baked her 2 pies, and traded those pies for all the baby girl clothes! Some I kept, some I donated to a local group that helps out moms in need, and some I gave to my cousin(s) who were preggers with girls, too.
How great that you were able to trade the pies.

When I was pregnant we had a yard sale at my Inlaws. I had a baby swing there that someone had given me but wasn't going to use. This lady came along and we ended up trading some of her baby girls clothes for the swing. Worked perfectly and I was thrilled to have the clothes.
June 7th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I keep forgetting to ask you - how did you do? Get some good deals?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search