Who is making their own baby food?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MommytoaMiracle
  • 1 Post By w292737

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy
I need some suggestions!!!

Our Crew!

Nathan (12) Liam (9) Benjamin (8)
Savannah (6) Logan (4) Katie (21 months)

It may be crazy but we love it!

εϊз Some People Dream of Angels But I Held One In My Arms εϊз
Rebecca Lee Stillborn 10-30-03
May 26th, 2012, 02:45 AM
First Timer!!!
i started but Roran would not eat anthing REAl ...................... ONLY baby food outta baby jars . i have no idea why

his fav is sweet potatoes ........ i made REAL sweet potatoes . mushed them up and he HATE THEM ............. i dno how to help but this is where im at
May 26th, 2012, 04:13 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't do it anymore, now that Savannah just eats what we eat, but I made her food from 5 months to 8 months. I LOVED it!

I started with avocado. Her favorite was carrots, broccoli, & sweet potatoes. But she loved everything.
I made the 4 above along with eggplant, squash, bananas, apples, pears, zucchini, & I'm sure there's a couple I can't think of right now.

It's easy, fast, & SO good for them because you can TASTE & SEE the freshness of the food!

Just choose your veggie/fruit (They recommend starting with a veggie) & steam it. If it has skin (Such as an apple or sweet potatoes) peel it first. Steam or boil (I steam because it keeps in the most nutrients) until soft, put in blender with a tad bit of water, & blend to the consistency you want.
If it's too thick, add more water.

Happy Baby Food Making!!
mom2more likes this.

Last edited by MommytoaMiracle; May 26th, 2012 at 04:17 AM.
May 26th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Happy Mommy
I got nothing she eats off my plate.
lrowe70 likes this.
May 26th, 2012, 09:20 AM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We do. He eats a lot of what we eat but I like to still supplement with the baby food so I know he's getting enough. A lot of the table foods still seem to end up on the floor

My favorites to do are avacados, they don't need boiling. Just peel and blend. I also like to do pears and apples because those are his favorites. He usually has banana for breakfast but I hand mash that (still kind of lumpy) You can do pretty much anything though. It's super easy. You can also just throw a bit of whatever your eating in the blender and feed that.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
May 26th, 2012, 10:32 AM
babi_lovin11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to babi_lovin11
I did make my own baby food but now he eats off my plate. He loves to feed himself now!
May 26th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Both of my kids favorite was pumpkins and pears.

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

May 26th, 2012, 08:03 PM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
I still make his food. He eats his food, and then gets bits of food from our dinner as well.
We bake sweet potatoes and butternut squash, then blend separately. No water, it will puree on its own. I prefer to steam most of his fruits and veggies, over boiling, I think they hold their vitamins better that way. We steam green beans, carrots, spinach, zuccini, asparagus and broccoli. Mix spinach with peas, and squash or some other veggies to make it less bitter. We also steam his apples or any unripe fruit such as peaches when they arent soft enough to mash. When you steam them, it ripens them. Makes them sweet. I didnt know that until I watched some show on the food network. So I tried it and its really true lol
I mash mangos, peaches, pears, avacado, and banana.
I boil or bake his chicken. He loves fish. I make either talapia or sole. He LOVES that!
Ive just started making him lentils but they are so horribly boring! So I cooked tiny pieces of pork, peaches and lentils together, with a couple basil leaves. It wasnt quite as boring and he didnt seem to mind it. Im looking for different ideas to put together little casserole type things like that, with more flavour.
You probably arent as limited as we are, with his allergies.
Our next creations will be 1. beef cut small, carrots, potatoes, onion and chicken stock.
2. onion, carrots, zucchini, mushroons, plum tomatoes, vegetable stock, basil, pepper, and tiny pasta. Im a little hesitant trying tomatoes but I think Im going to make the plunge this week.
3. Mashed potato with carrots and broccoli. You could top this with some cheese. Im jealous lol
Im going to be on the search for more bean recipes too.
Let me know if these are the type of recipes you are looking for, or any foods you are interested in using, that maybe we can find something fun to do with them.

[/url
May 26th, 2012, 10:50 PM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you can track down a copy of the book "Super Baby Food" it's jam packed with tons of ideas for MYO food from infants all the way up to big kids. Great resource!

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

May 26th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by w292737
I got nothing she eats off my plate.
This is Keelan. He always has.
May 27th, 2012, 02:33 AM
caitbeans's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to caitbeans
Colton has always ate of my plate as well

\
May 27th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Send a message via MSN to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy
Katie has her milk allergy and almost everthing I eat has milk in it somewhere

Our Crew!

May 27th, 2012, 06:54 AM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy View Post
Katie has her milk allergy and almost everthing I eat has milk in it somewhere
I wasnt aware, Colton is allergic to milk as well!
So you can use our ideas, minus the cheese lol

[/url
May 27th, 2012, 08:02 AM
LOL

Our Crew!

May 27th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I actually had never set foot in the baby food aisle until a week ago, trying to get ideas. The stuff on the shelf was so limited or a blend which was weird (like blueberries and beef. huh?) I like making my own. I'm planning on getting a book out from the library for more ideas.

She's now doing half and half self feed and purees. Self feeds: spaghetti, fried rice, beans, diced bananas, diced apples (cooked), diced avacados, etc. Purees: turnips, rutagaga, kale, broccoli, califlower, pumpkin, squash, carrots, sweet potato, etc. Plus we're going to start dairy soon (cheese, yogurt)
June 1st, 2012, 03:18 AM
wingqueen26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am just starting this week to make her baby food. I made spaghetti and meat sauce for us, put a little aside for the mini-food processor. She ate it but then pooped, badly, shortly after. YIKES. Last night I gave her sweet potato mushed up, she didn't seem too interested and wanted her puree baby food. She eats pancakes and bits of breakfast potatoes when we go out to eat. She's also had some mashed potato too.

thank u quantum leap for my siggy

June 3rd, 2012, 08:52 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Apples and chicken are my baby's favorite combo! He hated meats at first, but then I started making them with fruits or sweet potatoes or butternut squash and he liked them! Most things we just steam and then put in the blender (well we have a magic bullet--not the baby bullet). Sometimes if its too thick we add a little water to it. I haven't seasoned anything of his yet or just blended up what we eat for him. I still make all his stuff seperate with no seasonings. Hubby has been on me to just blend what we eat.

We are still making his food because he only has 2 teeth all the way in and another two partially in so not a whole lot of chewing going on yet for him! Instead of blending all his foods lately I have been trying to mash them now so they are a little thicker consistancy.

We have also bought some stage 3 baby foods...but he hates the consistancy of those.

He does like finger foods, but we are pretty limited due to the teeth issue. So its pretty much just baby mum mums and all those quickly dissolvable baby snacks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search