Containing an older child... BTDT's?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By w292737

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 29th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So my 4 year old has been getting up some mornings just before me. Instead of coming into my room and waking me she intentionally sneaks downstairs and gets into things. Some days aren't so bad... but STILL, this isn't something I want her doing! Because some day she could get into something dangerous.

Today she got up and drew all over my couch. Crayola, washable, and the couch is micro suede... so it's fixable, but it's a pain in the butt.

So yeah... anyone have sneaky kids getting up before you? How do you deal with this?!
May 29th, 2012, 07:24 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL! I'm sorry I shouldn't laugh but I spent years trying to teach my daughters to go downstairs and play or quitely watch tv and not wake me up!

Can you set certain things out for her the night before? Like I would set out a bowl and their favourite cereal on the table (my kids don't like milk on their cereal so it worked), and I'd turn the tv to the cartoon channel so they just had to turn it on, if I really wanted to sleep in, I'd set out some colouring sheets or simple crafts.

May 29th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
hahaha. I'm sorry, but my kids still crawl into our bed in the mornings, and the oldest is 5.5. Our house is small, so for us it's not the same probably. I do think that when K is a bit older and his sister isn't around to tattle on him, we'll have more issues. For now, they will ask for a show and have now begun to ask to watch the show downstairs in the family room so mom and dad can sleep longer. I'm lucky they don't know how or choose not to turn on the tv by themselves.
May 29th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I really wish I could help but I spent over a year battling my son getting into things, destroying the house, and sneaking out side.

I even shelled out over 60 dollars for a special extra tall gate that we put a special walk on so he could not open it. But he just piled things in front of it until he could get over the top.

Hope you can figure something out and good luck!!!

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

May 29th, 2012, 07:32 AM
I like those suggestions! I wonder if I can make it so those things are upstairs or in basement... Issue with the main floor is no matter what I put out for her, there is too much tempting things for her. If she'd stay and play in her room, no prob, or went to the basement playroom, again, no problems down there.

When she's on the main floor she takes all the tupperware out and puts different levels of water in each, or spills food all over, or leaves the milk out, or draws on the couch, tv, walls, etc, or takes ever book off the shelves, or tries to use my computer... the list goes on.
May 29th, 2012, 08:10 AM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
If you want to wake up when she wakes up I think you can buy door alarms...so when she opens her door and alarm goes off?? But if you want to sleep in when she gets up then the other suggestions are good.

My 9 year old did this a few times when she was little, but thankfully she listened well, and once she got in trouble once, she always woke us. But I think we will have similar problems with my 2 year old.

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

May 29th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Happy Mommy
I taught my kids how to get up. get cereal, and turn on the tv I got nothing
May 29th, 2012, 09:03 AM
She is really apologetic, and I keep telling her she has to come in and say good morning first. She seems very serious about doing that. If she does that I can at least tell her to go into the BASEMENT where her playroom is and play there. I think maybe I'll bring down some cereal for her so she can snack on that. She knows how to put the tv and dvd on down there too.

Ahhhh! Fingers crossed tomorrow is a better day!
May 29th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by w292737 View Post
I taught my kids how to get up. get cereal, and turn on the tv I got nothing
Yeah, I never really had an issue. Sorry, I'm no help.
May 29th, 2012, 04:50 PM
caitbeans's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to caitbeans
When Abby was little I'd just put the safety chains on the doors so she couldn't get outside, but she was pretty good about going downstairs and watching TV, or she would come wake me up. She sleeps til noon now if I let her lol

\
June 1st, 2012, 01:28 AM
First Timer!!!
hrrmmm yeah id say put things out for her to get into ...... hope that works .. but im FTM so im not experienced in this
June 1st, 2012, 02:18 AM
Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy
I wish my kids would wake up and go downstairs and let me sleep - my 7 year old won't go downstairs without Logan (who is 3!) - so Ben usually comes in and out of my room until I tell him to go play Xbox LOL Apparently Xbox makes downstairs not scary!

Our Crew!

Nathan (12) Liam (9) Benjamin (8)
Savannah (6) Logan (4) Katie (21 months)

It may be crazy but we love it!

εϊз Some People Dream of Angels But I Held One In My Arms εϊз
Rebecca Lee Stillborn 10-30-03

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search