Beach Advice BTDT....

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mccaroline

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2012, 08:19 AM
mico's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are leaving for Myrtle beach in two weeks. I am having major anxiety about it. It will take us 11 hours to get there, so that is the number one thing I am nervous about. We are going to leave in the evening, and try to drive all night so HOPEFULLY Parker will sleep, but I'm so afriad he's going to just freak out the entire way. Second, he wants to just be everywhere and into everything, and puts everything in his mouth, so how do I keep him contained on the beach, and keep him from eating sand? Not sure how he will nap/eat, anything. So, does anybody have any advice for me at all???

Thank you brie_91 for my Siggy!
June 3rd, 2012, 09:27 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We took Layla to the beach for her first birthday. She ate sand. There was nothing we could do to stop it, we could only minimize it. It's a right of passage. She was fine. she napped on the way back to the hotel & went to bed early. She had a blast.

June 3rd, 2012, 02:16 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You will only an hour from me at Myrtle!!
We have gone quite a bit since we live so close & Sav hasn't eaten sand yet, although she has tried. I just stop her by getting the sand out of her hand & saying "No baby, yucky!!"

I think he will do a lot better than you are imaging...I was terrified to do a road trip with Sav & she was AMAZING!! For whatever reason, babies like the car!

I hope you have fun & I cannot wait to see pics!
June 3rd, 2012, 04:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We drove 8 hours to my BFs parents house with T twice and he was great both times. Amber is right. Babies like car rides and more than likely he will sleep most of the time.

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!
June 3rd, 2012, 04:12 PM
teacher.123's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Babies do like the car. I just made sure Savannah wasn't hungry. She had a toy dangling from the handle, we listened to music, I gave her a mum mum, and I talked to her. When she got fussy it was time to stop and change her/feed her.

Savannah is everywhere too and gets upset if she is confined for too long. We just went camping and brought baby gates for her to have a space to crawl around and play in. That might be too hard and annoying for a beach trip, so maybe bring a large blanket and some of his toys.

Napping and eating will come naturally to you. Just make sure you stay on schedule as far as when he eats and close to when he naps and I'm sure you will have a happy Parker!

June 3rd, 2012, 08:39 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are going on a beach vacation in a few weeks and I am worried about baby eating sand and overheating in the sun, etc!!

We did order this:
Amazon.com: Genji Sports Pop Up Family Beach Tent And Beach Sunshelter: Sports & Outdoors

I am hoping that it will give baby some shade when we are not in the water or playing in the sand together. And that I could sit in there with him and some toys and keep from the sun beating down on him constantly! Maybe he will even take his afternoon nap at the beach instead of getting overtired and cranky

If it were just hubby, baby, and I we could come and go from the beach whenever. But we will be with our other 3 kids too who love the beach and can spend all day there! Plus we are going with family members who have older kids and we are not staying somewhere right on the beach. Its a little bit of a drive. I know we will be spending quite a few days hanging out at the beach so we want to be prepared.

Last edited by mom2more; June 3rd, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
June 3rd, 2012, 09:25 PM
First Timer!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2more View Post
We are going on a beach vacation in a few weeks and I am worried about baby eating sand and overheating in the sun, etc!!

We did order this:
Amazon.com: Genji Sports Pop Up Family Beach Tent And Beach Sunshelter: Sports & Outdoors

I am hoping that it will give baby some shade when we are not in the water or playing in the sand together. And that I could sit in there with him and some toys and keep from the sun beating down on him constantly! Maybe he will even take his afternoon nap at the beach instead of getting overtired and cranky

If it were just hubby, baby, and I we could come and go from the beach whenever. But we will be with our other 3 kids too who love the beach and can spend all day there! Plus we are going with family members who have older kids and we are not staying somewhere right on the beach. Its a little bit of a drive. I know we will be spending quite a few days hanging out at the beach so we want to be prepared.
that things seems awesome!!
June 3rd, 2012, 10:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
How does he usually do in the car? My babe is great in the car so a long trip would be no concern, he usually just sleeps.

He's been to a few sandy beaches and ate a TON of sand while with my husband. With me, I had him on a large blanket(this was before he moved around too much) so it was no issue.
But once my husband put him in the sand, several handfuls went right to his mouth. He had 3 very interesting diapers after that. Which(sadly) gave him a terrible diaper rash I'd suggest in addition to trying to keep him off the sand, have diaper cream with you for just in case.
June 4th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My girls have always just fallen asleep in the car, no matter what the duration. We had the odd fussy moment, but we just crank some music and they like that.

As for the sand eating, I agree, babies will eat sand. Just try to keep it to a minimum. None at all would win you a trophy!

Have fun!
June 4th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
We haven't taken babies to the beach, but I have done a really long car ride with two babies (Gabby was 11 months and Keelan was 4 months). It was a nightmare.

We're trying to travel at night next time.
June 4th, 2012, 04:06 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
May I make a suggestion? Take a big bottle of baby powder. It can be the cheapest store brand you can find, just make sure you bring lots. When damp sand gets stuck to baby just start covering it with baby powder and it will wipe off much easier.
Rachel likes this.

June 4th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccaroline View Post
May I make a suggestion? Take a big bottle of baby powder. It can be the cheapest store brand you can find, just make sure you bring lots. When damp sand gets stuck to baby just start covering it with baby powder and it will wipe off much easier.
oh, cool!
June 6th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Happy Mommy
Ditto to the baby powder idea.

other then that I got nothing. shade and blankets for him to sit on

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search