Whooping Cough

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2012, 02:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hope this doesn't turn into a debate as that is not my intent.

We are (eventally) getting the babe all the required shots. He hasn't had any since about Thanksgiving however, and Whooping Cough(Pertusis?) is not a required vax anyway.

In about a month we are going on vacation through several states to see family. One of those states is Washington.
Recently I was informed that Whooping Cough is at "epidemic" levels in that state and not only to get the babe vaxed for it, but myself and husband should as well.
Me being me, naturally had to look into the details as "epidemic" can mean a lot of different things depending on what group is sponsoring the research.
Turns out only around 1000 kids have had problems in the past 2 years. While higher than the norm, this is not "epidemic" in my book.

I'm trying to decide what to do.
Have any of you been vaxed for Whooping Cough?
What about your kids?
Why did you decide to have this vax don/or not done?
June 3rd, 2012, 02:55 PM
CoreenaC's Avatar Carter-Carter's Momma
Being so close to Washington (Oregon) and traveling up to that area a lot, having a newborn niece and nephew and confirmed cases in our area, we decided to vax Carter and both DH and I have been as well.
DS2-EDD 9/10/14
*Thank you so much *Kiliki* for the siggy!*
June 3rd, 2012, 03:09 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Savannah has had the vaccination for Pertussis.
For my own child, I feel much safer with her having the vaccine than getting whooping cough, which can be fatal to an infant.
The pro's outweighed the con's for me by a long shot.

I would just say do your research & make the decision for you & your baby. We all have opinions about it but at the end of the day, it's your choice!
June 3rd, 2012, 03:32 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Joey has had his three whooping cough vaxes and dh just got one with his tet booster two months ago-I'll probably get it when i get my ten year update also

Lucky mother to five!

June 3rd, 2012, 03:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We vaxed for it and me and DH did, too. I agree 100% with what Amber said. Whooping cough is fatal for infants and I refuse to take that chance.

June 3rd, 2012, 04:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We live in WA. Alex was vaxed before we even got here just because I've been following the standard vax schedule with her. For me the pros outweigh the cons for the vaccinations.
I'm pretty sure I got vaxed right after I had Alex (I got a shot of something before I left the hospital, I wanna say it was whooping cough). And Dh hasnt had a booster as far as I know (unless the army gave him one in basic). We aren't really around any babies besides Alex and she's vaxed so we arent to worried about us.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

June 3rd, 2012, 05:38 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Unlike other childhood illnesses, infants can die from whooping cough. A 9wk old baby died the beginning of May in Idaho. If you could prevent a baby from getting it, why not? Of course, the doctor in this video is my brother so I would never be forgiven if I didn't vaccinate.
Officials Warn: Whooping Cough Cases On The Rise | KMVT | Twin Falls, ID News

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
June 3rd, 2012, 05:38 PM
First Timer!!!
im not sure if Roran has ............... i let the doc do all the vax's just cause id rather him not get these sicknesses if possible BUT im unsure of what they have given him .. they just call the shots his "9mnth apt shots" or w/e age he is atm ........ so im not sure .

glad you shared this cause now im gonna ask about it next apt
June 3rd, 2012, 06:11 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have any of you been vaxed for Whooping Cough? I have been at some point, but I haven't had any boosters and probably need one.
What about your kids? Kaitlyn has received 2/3 of the set that includes it. She is scheduled to get the 3rd in June. We delay vaccinations (obviously, as those are the 2 -4 -6 month ones she is just getting now) Dominic has not received any vaccines to date.
Why did you decide to have this vax don/or not done? We are in BC, which is right next to WA and we have had a lot of cases recently. We also travel to WA regularly. You are right, epidemic is different in different peoples opinions and we decided we didn't feel the need to rush out and vaccinate him at the moment. I might feel differently if he were in daycare, you could get a separate vaccine just for whopping cough, or he was still a newborn when the breakout was going on.

The epidemic seems to be over here, or at least people got bored of talking about it. It's not like babies are dying everyday, in fact I don't think any of the cases here have ended in fatalities.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
June 3rd, 2012, 08:11 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Keelan is up-to-date on his vax except for the Hep vax, which we are delaying. I got the Pertusis one while in the hospital.

My oldest son had a severe reaction to the DPT at 4.5 months so he only ever had 2. Neely's parents did not vax for religious reasons (Christian Scientists) and he's never had a vax in his life.
June 3rd, 2012, 09:08 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You bet your butt she's vaxxed for it, along with everything else (though we did push some back).
I HAD whooping cough as a kid. I still remember feeling like I was suffocating to death. It is HORRIBLE and I never want my child to feel that. Ever.

I just thought I might add....
Have you ever fallen down and got the wind knocked out of you so you couldnt breathe? Imagine that every.single.time. you cough. And you cant stop coughing.
Thats what its like having whooping cough.

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

June 3rd, 2012, 11:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the replies, it's always interesting to see what others are doing/thinking.
I wasn't aware it was a series of shots, thought it was just one. If that's the case we haven't got time to get all of them before vacation anyway.
June 4th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
DH and I both got boosters when we started TTC. Both of our boys are fully vaxed and on schedule for pertussis. Not for everything, but we don't mess around with that one. DH works in a children's hospital and is exposed to all sorts of things. After he had a mumps patient die a couple years ago, I was sold on vaxing my kids.

Lew, 1, DSD Lauren, 18, and Chuck, 4
June 4th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Happy Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrowe70 View Post
Thanks for the replies, it's always interesting to see what others are doing/thinking.
I wasn't aware it was a series of shots, thought it was just one. If that's the case we haven't got time to get all of them before vacation anyway.
it used to be a one time deal, like when we were kids.

they have found, the one time shot isn't effective like they thought, hence why it is on the rise in alot of states. Including the area of which I live.

I had a booster in 2010, when I got my updated tetnus.

My kids are vax against it as well
June 4th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We vax. I know there is risk involved, but for us, the risk outweighed the chance of getting the thing we vax against.

Last edited by Mama.Angie; June 4th, 2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: loser spelling
June 4th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Veteran
We vax. I did spread it out where she got only 2 per visit. We were caught up for the year by 7 months. Got 2 every month. Next due are at 13. Have had 3 dtaps. I did not do the rotivirus because it was kind of newer. It was only good till 6 months anyways. We also are waiting on the hep one they give in hospital.
June 4th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
As much as I hate vaxong, I'd much rather vax than my kids get the diseases. Whopping cough can be deadly, and with ppl not vaxing these days, unfortunately things that were almost irradicated are back.

That being said, my sister is allergic to the vax, although I'm sure they've changed in the last 30+yrs.
June 4th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
As much as I hate vaxong, I'd much rather vax than my kids get the diseases. Whopping cough can be deadly, and with ppl not vaxing these days, unfortunately things that were almost irradicated are back.

That being said, my sister is allergic to the vax, although I'm sure they've changed in the last 30+yrs.
June 5th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I believe we have done 2 of the 3 DTaP shots, we are obviously delaying and we are picking a choosing. Because of the number of cases although, I don't consider 1000 epidemic, it is one of the better safe than sorrys. The crazy part about the "epidemic" 80% of the children that are getting whooping cough have been vaxed. My husband and I have not gotten the boosters although we probably should, I have no issue with vaxes like that for myself (I rarely get vaxes, since we don't do yearly flu, and my immune system is fine).
June 5th, 2012, 02:02 PM
DaniB+4's Avatar Super Moderator
Miles is on scheduled with all pertusis vaxes, even though they freak me out due to my sister's experience. However, like it was mentioned before, whooping cough is really dangerous. I also opted to get the pertusis vaccine when I was in the hospital post-birth.

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search