No blankets

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By bajars2531

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 5th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Super Mommy
So my daycare just sent a letter home saying that "due to DCFS" they are now instituting a no blanket policy. They said that DCFS rules say that blankets need to be tucked in on 3 sides and below the babies armpits. Because this isn't possible with some blankets and because some babies roll over in their sleep and take their blanket with them, they are now going to use flat sheets that are attached to the bottom of the fitted sheet instead.

I am NOT okay with this. Brady has such a tough time napping there anyway. They have this really stupid rule about not letting babies be in their cribs awake. They have to get the babies to sleep by rocking them, putting them in the swing or whatever and then put them down. If they wake up, then they can try to rub their back for a minute or two but then they have to pick them back up. I asked my pediatrician about this and she was against it- she is a big believer in having kids learn to put themselves to sleep. But I put up with it because of the other things this daycare had going for it.

But now with this new policy, I've hit my limit. I'm scheduling a meeting with the director at the end of the week and I'm making DH go to A) keep me in line lol and B) help to convey the seriousness of this situation. Brady NEEDS sleep for proper brain development and he needs his blanket. These blankets they're talking about will get super scratchy after a few washes. And he has sensitive skin as it is.

Has anybody else heard about this or dealt with this? I'm calling DCFS today because they also blame their nap policy on DCFS, which is BS, because no other daycare in the area does it that way.

Ugh! I mean, I understand the intent to avoid SIDS, which is a tragedy I agree. But when the child is 9 months old and is already having problems with sleep, I think we need to take the individual needs of the child into consideration and come up with some type of compromise to accommodate those needs.
June 5th, 2012, 07:12 AM
mom2moose
I would be screwed too. Finn NEEDS his blanket to sleep. I doubt they'll change the rule for you though, so what will you do?? Sorry you're dealing with this, by the way.
June 5th, 2012, 10:34 AM
bajars2531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Can you use a lovey? Caeden has one that he uses all the time--they are old enough not to worry about it being an issue I would think. Also--I know you are upset about them taking kids out of the crib, but I had Caeden in daycare for a week and EVERY time I went in there kids were crying in their cribs for 10, 15, even 20 minutes (I would go in there to nurse on my lunch break) It was SAD--those babies were SO stressed out and it was ultimately the reason I pulled him. I would be very happy if I could find a daycare with that policy. You pediatrician is right that kids should be able to soothe themselves but I don't think that this policy is going to keep him from napping. I understand the blanket thing though and I think you should be able to sub something in to help him sleep.
mom2moose and BeachMum like this.

Make a pregnancy ticker

June 5th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
HUGS!!! I'm sorry you're having to put up with this. But, I also agree that I really doubt they will change a policy for one individual as having worked at several different daycares once a policy is in place they go by it strictly. But, maybe here is different. That just stinks that they are doing this - I wouldn't be surprised if they have LO's leave their place due to this. Let us know how the meeting goes though. Maybe if enough complain they will change the policy again.
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6
June 5th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajars2531 View Post
Can you use a lovey? Caeden has one that he uses all the time--they are old enough not to worry about it being an issue I would think. Also--I know you are upset about them taking kids out of the crib, but I had Caeden in daycare for a week and EVERY time I went in there kids were crying in their cribs for 10, 15, even 20 minutes (I would go in there to nurse on my lunch break) It was SAD--those babies were SO stressed out and it was ultimately the reason I pulled him. I would be very happy if I could find a daycare with that policy. You pediatrician is right that kids should be able to soothe themselves but I don't think that this policy is going to keep him from napping. I understand the blanket thing though and I think you should be able to sub something in to help him sleep.
I'm going to ask about the lovey, that's one of the ways I'm going to try to seek a compromise. My first suggestion is going to be an afghan, so it has holes in it. If that doesn't work, I'll ask about signing a waiver. If that won't work, I'll ask if I can bring in something from my doctor saying he needs to sleep and if he needs his blanket to sleep, he should have it. Then I'm going to ask about a lovey, which for him is a small piece of crocheted blanket. I'm curious to see how much they're willing to work with me. We'll see. I was too upset to call DCFS today, but I'm planning on doing that tomorrow.

And I know what you mean about the crying babies, that would be terrible. And I agree that any place that leaves the babies crying for an extended period of time is not a place I want my baby. But there has to be some middle ground there to accommodate "settling down to sleep."

Brady instantly wakes up when they transfer him from his swing to the crib (and they say they have to move him, they won't leave him). So he wakes up and they can't leave him to fall back asleep on his own... so then he just doesn't sleep.

I asked about a mobile because that helps put him to sleep at home, but they wouldn't let me do that. Really, there just is no good solution at this point.
June 5th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope the meeting brings about a compromise! If not are you thinking about switching him to a different daycare? This would be so hard to deal with. I hope you find a good solution! KUP on what DCFS says. GOOD LUCK!!!
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6
June 5th, 2012, 07:03 PM
bajars2531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Weird that they wouldn't let you bring a mobile---all the cribs have them at almost every daycare I have ever visited. Sorry mama--good luck and I hope you find a solution!

Make a pregnancy ticker

June 6th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by momie2b9-20-11 View Post
I hope the meeting brings about a compromise! If not are you thinking about switching him to a different daycare? This would be so hard to deal with. I hope you find a good solution! KUP on what DCFS says. GOOD LUCK!!!
I might! I don't know. I've been thinking about it. Part of it is the expense that's starting to bother me. We are spending the equivalent of a mortgage payment on daycare every month- $226 a week. And our budget is getting tighter and tighter.... but this is the closest place to me and I find it so important to get to visit him over lunch. And Brady loves it there. He just army crawls around all day, playing with his friends. Granted, I wish for that kind of money we were a little more focused on the developmental goals... for example, I've been trying to teach him sign language for 2 and a half months and he's not really made any progress and I think part of that is because they're not really doing it at daycare. But as long as he's happy, that's the important thing I guess!

Ahh! Being a parent is hard! lol (Understatement of the year, I know.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajars2531 View Post
Weird that they wouldn't let you bring a mobile---all the cribs have them at almost every daycare I have ever visited. Sorry mama--good luck and I hope you find a solution!
Thanks! I know, the whole thing was kind of strange so I just let it drop and now looking back, I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have done that. I mean, he is going to outgrow the swing eventually and then just like our doctor said, we're going to have serious problems trying to get him to sleep. Eeek!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search