back from the allergist

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 8th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
So Alex is allergic to cats, dogs, eggs and peanuts. That means I have to find my cats new homes but at least now we know. The egg they think she will outgrow and I can give her eggs in baked things like bannan bread but peanuts is one they don't normally outgrow but its not a big deal Elise is allergic to peanuts so we already have a peanut free house. Cats and dogs are not too bad she can come in contact with them every once in awhile but we just cant have them as pets
We are to continue keeping her on her allergy meds and go back in six months

June 9th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
oh i'm sorry to hear she has all those allergies. I'm suprissed they tested her now. My doctor and hospital said that allergies wont show up til the baby is a year old. I hope she does outgrow the egg allergy.

June 9th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We were reffered to the allergist and she said they can show up this early but she had /has really sever skin issues when not on her allergy meds but when there are not big issues I know they don't normally test because they can out grow them before a year and they can do a pinprick test or a blood test the blood test often has false positives but the pinprick (what we had done) does not and they always have conflicting information like with Elise I was told not to bathe her too much but now new info says water is good so she told me to give alex a bath everyday

July 1st, 2012, 02:26 AM
blessedmom080911's Avatar Excitedly Expecting #3!
hugs! My oldest dd has basically the same allergies as you listed plus fish/shellfish. We have an outside dog and with limited contact they don't have too bad of a skin reaction. It flares their eczema horribly. If she's been in close contact with them, like in a house that they live in then they get runny noses, puffy eyes and etc. My oldest was tested at 10 months old. SHe wasn't allowed to have any eggs at first but now is allowed eggs baked in stuff. We've been told two different things as far as baths too. I think the important part is to make sure to moisturize them well afterwards. We use Aveeno. The dermatologist said anything with oatmeal was good. He also recommended using dove soap.

What allergy meds is she on?

July 1st, 2012, 07:13 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Poor girl! No wonder she was so miserable! I am sorry you have to find new homes for your kitties. I am sure that is sad. But it is far more important to have a comfortably, healthy child. I hope the allergy meds work well and she outgrows her egg allergies. I know that they are difficult to work around when the kids get older (a kid in Julia's preschool class was allergic to egg and I felt really bad that he could barely have any of the snacks people brought in).
July 1st, 2012, 08:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom080911 View Post
hugs! My oldest dd has basically the same allergies as you listed plus fish/shellfish. We have an outside dog and with limited contact they don't have too bad of a skin reaction. It flares their eczema horribly. If she's been in close contact with them, like in a house that they live in then they get runny noses, puffy eyes and etc. My oldest was tested at 10 months old. SHe wasn't allowed to have any eggs at first but now is allowed eggs baked in stuff. We've been told two different things as far as baths too. I think the important part is to make sure to moisturize them well afterwards. We use Aveeno. The dermatologist said anything with oatmeal was good. He also recommended using dove soap.

What allergy meds is she on?
She is on regular OTC allergy meds that are accually for 2+ we just got the right dosage I think its a generic for zertec (sp) but we saw a huge improvment when those kicked in and we use vasaline deep moisture after trying a few this worked the best for Alex. We were also told to give her egg in baked goods every week or two to help build immunity so she will mabey outgrow it unless she reacted to badly to it.

July 1st, 2012, 08:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj_1218 View Post
Poor girl! No wonder she was so miserable! I am sorry you have to find new homes for your kitties. I am sure that is sad. But it is far more important to have a comfortably, healthy child. I hope the allergy meds work well and she outgrows her egg allergies. I know that they are difficult to work around when the kids get older (a kid in Julia's preschool class was allergic to egg and I felt really bad that he could barely have any of the snacks people brought in).
I felt worse for Elise the cats have been around her whole life it has been over a week and she is still asking for them and surprisingly enough its not to bad there are so many gluten free products now and they are all egg free so just like with Elise we just need to teach her to never share snacks although Elise still has trouble understanding that one she has gotten a lot better

July 1st, 2012, 10:57 PM
Born2BeAmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Allergies are miserable. Poor little thing. At least you know now so you can help her start feeling better! <3 I hope she doesn't have the egg allergy forever. <3

Kristy: mom to 5 beautiful daughters with daughter #6 on the way and the author of the Ice Moon Series www.icemoonseries.com
www.kristyquinn.net

I Blog http://happyhomemakingwithkristy.blogspot.com/
http://raisinggodlydaughters-kristy.blogspot.com/

July 2nd, 2012, 05:53 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Oh dear! I am so sorry that your LO has to deal with all of those allergies. I hope she is able to outgrow some of them!

Here's to hoping that now that you have some answers, she'll start feeling better!

July 28th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
So what did they do for the testing? i am taking my almost 2 year old to have allergy testing done next month and wondering what the 5 hours appointment is for?

July 28th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
5 hours wow I live on an island and the allergist only comes every 6 months so she did the pin prick test for about 30 pf the most common allergins and that is were they prick a bit of the allergin just under the skin and see ifthe get a hive and measure it. It took an hour or two between paper work and you have to wait 20 min to check thereaction
I have no idea what would take 5 hours unless mabey they are doing the blood test first although that can have a lot of false positives

July 28th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have a picture if u want I can find it for you

July 29th, 2012, 10:04 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Poor baby. I am sorry you had to get rid of your cats. I was terrified that Marsi would be allergic to them and luckily she isn't. Our cats were our kids for 5 years before Marsi showed up. Granted we already had a home for them just in case. I am glad you found some answers!

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search