Re-occuring constipation problems?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By w292737
  • 1 Post By tobi4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2012, 07:38 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Does anyone continue to have problems despite all your efforts? That is where we are at.

Avery has been having trouble since she started to eat her solids well, probably around 7-8 months. She will go days without going, or just have little hard rabbit droppings in her diapers. She strains and nothing. I have used a suppository a number of times now.

The problem is, she is all on table foods and never took to purees. She 100% self feeds. I absolutely CANNOT get prunes into her, and pears is also difficult. Certainly not enough for her to get enough fibre. All her favorite foods have zero fibre, like avacado, egg, chicken.

Dr. said she needs more water. So I am trying to give her more but she doesn't drink much, she only drinks a large amount of breast milk and that is it (he said she needs about 4oz per day at this age, easier said than done!).

I have started giving her benefibre supplement dissolved in a tiny bit of water, in a desperate attempt to get more fibre and water into her. It hasn't helped yet but I have only done it for a little bit.

Does anyone have any ideas??? Giving her powdered fibre is not something I want to have to do. I heard something about a natural sugar water you can get from pharmacies? Does anyone know what I mean? The pharmacist had no idea.

Any other ideas are welcome, even though she does not seem to be miserable from it I still worry about my little girl!

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
June 10th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A couple teaspoons of sugar in a couple ounces of water can sometimes relieve constipation in babies. Regular sugar works fine.
Can you try and increase the amount of fruit she eats? Berries especially. Also, try and stay away from bananas, rice, apples/applesauce, starches(like potatoes, noodles), and things like white bread and crackers until shes more regular.
Too much protein without a balance of fruit and veggies can be constipating.
I would probably offer a large variety of fruits and vegetables for a w hile and really cut back any protein and starches. At meal times offered her a mix of water and juice. Prune, apple/prune, stay away from orange juice and plain apple
If she is still having this problem once she turns a year I would put her on a probiotic.
My son has had poop Issues pretty much his entire life to the point he has had xrays for impaction and done many many many rounds of Miralax. We put him on Floragen and haven't had a problem since.
Some people give probiotics to infants but I would talk to your doctor.

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

Last edited by Dixana; June 10th, 2012 at 07:57 AM. Reason: autocorrect sucks
June 10th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Happy Mommy
stop the suppositories. you'll create dependence on them.

keep trying, caro syrup will help and it's sweet so I bet she'll take it.
mom2more likes this.
June 10th, 2012, 11:44 AM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
We have had the same struggles with Colton, it got so bad that he started getting little tears in the skin around his anus that would bleed. My Dr told us to use Restoralax. Half the adult dose, half a sachet.
He eats lots of purees so I dont think thats her problem, I just think some babies have a harder time adjusting than others.
The restoralax naturally draws more water to the bowels, its not a fibre mass builder, which is going to make things even worse for her if she doesnt drink lots of water. Restoralax just helps to move things by softening things up. It doesnt cause gas or painful bloating. Its not a laxative. Their body doesnt begin relying on it, but that said you can use it everyday for the rest of your life with no ill effects. Its amazing!
We use it everyday with Colton, and he has been way more comfortable, and sometimes I cant even tell he is pooping! No red face, grunting or straining. Plus I feel good knowing that after trying prunes, pears, water etc with no success, he isnt having a difficult time anymore.
|Try it out!
jmom likes this.

[/url
June 10th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
How about prunes? Gabs had an issue with it and Sarah bought prunes and it really helped.
June 10th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Veteran
We have had to do miralax (we use the generic equivalent). It's a powder that you put in with water (does she drink water?) but not a laxative. It just draws more water into the stools so that they are softer. Even tho it's not a laxative it has helped things run more 'smoothly' down there which has resulted in more poops in general. I asked if this was habit forming and my ped office said it wasn't. Josie doesn't drink a ton of water, mostly bm, but if I can get a couple ounces a day of her spiked water then that seems to be all she needs (we use a half capful diluted in 5-6 oz water, not that she ever drinks all of it).

I feel for her since I know how much pain it caused Josie!
June 10th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixana View Post
A couple teaspoons of sugar in a couple ounces of water can sometimes relieve constipation in babies. Regular sugar works fine.
Can you try and increase the amount of fruit she eats? Berries especially. Also, try and stay away from bananas, rice, apples/applesauce, starches(like potatoes, noodles), and things like white bread and crackers until shes more regular.
Too much protein without a balance of fruit and veggies can be constipating.
I would probably offer a large variety of fruits and vegetables for a w hile and really cut back any protein and starches. At meal times offered her a mix of water and juice. Prune, apple/prune, stay away from orange juice and plain apple
If she is still having this problem once she turns a year I would put her on a probiotic.
My son has had poop Issues pretty much his entire life to the point he has had xrays for impaction and done many many many rounds of Miralax. We put him on Floragen and haven't had a problem since.
Some people give probiotics to infants but I would talk to your doctor.
^^This

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!
June 11th, 2012, 01:00 AM
First Timer!!!
mandy used apple juice and it worked for her .

if i recall it was a mix they put formula and some apple juice in it (ask mandy to be sure cant really remember)

you can ask her the amount she used if you wanna try this ........ srry i cant remember how much she said .. BUT .... if you want im sure you can just once a day (til it works) give her a little bottle . like those four ounce ones ... of straight apple juice ... i cant see how thatd be wrong or bad to do ... but to each his/her own
June 11th, 2012, 07:28 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I have tried juice, but baby doesn't take a bottle! Same with the prunes, she won't eat any puree I try to feed her.

I will have to try Miralax/Resporalax (same thing, just different names in Canada and US). My last resort! I will give her enough to get her cleared out, and then see if it happens again. If so, I will have to see her dr I think.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
June 11th, 2012, 08:52 AM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
Colton wont take a bottle either, and the sippy cups arent really a hit either but I found a cup with a straw. http://zolibaby.ca/ Its amazing and baby catches on really quick because when they chew on the end it draws the liquid up the straw. Colton took to it immediately. I kept misplacing it so I ended up buying 3 extras just so I have lots lol
If not for that cup, Im not sure Id ever get any liquids other than breast milk into him!

[/url
June 11th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My Dr. warned against too many suppositories as well when Alexis had this problem. Try the caro syrup, I've heard nothing but good things. Also, my Dr. suggested to keep offering her water before and after a feed. That ultimately was what helped coupled with massaging her abdomen. We rubbed just under her belly button from left to right in little circles, it's supposed to help push things through and down their intestines.
June 11th, 2012, 09:08 AM
BeccaM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to BeccaM
We have had on and off issues with Cole since he was born. We found pear juice or pears in general work best for him. I try and do one or the other when I see him BM's are starting to get more pellet like.
June 11th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonzgurl View Post
I have tried juice, but baby doesn't take a bottle! Same with the prunes, she won't eat any puree I try to feed her.

I will have to try Miralax/Resporalax (same thing, just different names in Canada and US). My last resort! I will give her enough to get her cleared out, and then see if it happens again. If so, I will have to see her dr I think.
I meant whole prunes, not purees. Gabby and Keelan eat them like raisins.
June 11th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We used 2 oz water with 1 teaspoon water dissolved. She would go within 30 minutes, but we never had severe constipation issues or anything.

I hope she gets some relief and you get her something that works! Poor baby!

June 11th, 2012, 11:04 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Can you try yogurt? Maybe dunk apples in it and let her self feed it that way since she won't usually let you feed her purees?

Caro syrup works....dr. suggested that when my older one was constipated as a baby.

Hubby has added pancake syrup to our baby's bottles when he is constipated too and it has helped.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search