Questions for SAHM's

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 13th, 2012, 08:04 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
When was the decision made for you to stay home?
How are you able to stay home? (ie- my husband makes enough, we make sacrifices like only having 1 car etc, we live partially off debt- we can pay it off when the kids are older, etc)
Are you saving for retirement and the kids' education?
What is your favorite part of being a SAHM?
What is the hardest part?
Do you plan to return to work/school in the future?

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
June 13th, 2012, 08:29 AM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When was the decision made for you to stay home?
Right before hubby and I married he got bumped to the afternoon shift at work. He had custody of his kids and I had custody of mine. We were only seeing eachother twice a week because he left before I got home and I was in bed sleeping when he got home. I would come home from a full day of work, have paperwork to do, and the responsibility of the kids fell one me. Plus hubby was sleeping a lot during the day and not doing the housework. I was overwhelmed and miserable so after about a year of this I told him something had to change because my life was easier before I met him. I was miserable.

How are you able to stay home? Hubby makes good money. We both had some investments before we met that are doing well. Our cars are older and paid off. I never buy anything ful price...always coupons, price matching, thrift stores, etc. I usually plan groceries off sales flyers. We don't have money to do all we would like, but its well worth the sacrifice. I also babysit most summers for extra $.

Are you saving for retirement and the kids' education? Yes. Right now its just all $ they get as gifts from family, friends, etc. gets split in half. Half they can spend and half goes into a bank account. In a few years when baby starts school I plan on going back to work and we can save more then.

What is your favorite part of being a SAHM? Spending more quality time with my kids and not being stressed and overwhelmed all the time.

What is the hardest part? I don't love housework! lol And I do miss working sometimes.

Do you plan to return to work/school in the future? Yes! Before baby I was working on my masters degree and had planned to return right after completing it because our other kids are older now and hubby is on a better work shift. Now I plan on waiting till baby starts school.

June 13th, 2012, 09:06 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
When was the decision made for you to stay home? It wasnt always the plan, I actually thought I could never do it. But I turned down a job offer when we first moved to WA in order to go to school. Shortly after I found out I was pregnant and was extremely sick so school got pushed to the side because I couldnt drive 140 miles a day anymore.

How are you able to stay home? We dont make a lot of money by any means but I wouldnt make enough to pay for day care.

Are you saving for retirement and the kids' education? Kyle has a retirement fund through the navy, as of right now, no for their education but then my parents didnt pay for mine even though they were well off. I got loans and grants I hope to help a bit with their school and they will be able to use some of the GI bill.

What is your favorite part of being a SAHM? I love being able to watch them grow and raise them in a way that I want. I think that for us it would be hard to find a day care sitter that would be open to our style.

What is the hardest part? Never leaving the house

Do you plan to return to work/school in the future? Probably not, Im interested in child birth education so maybe

June 13th, 2012, 09:19 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When was the decision made for you to stay home? The moment I found out I was pregnant with Layla and my due date. She was due early September, and there was no way I could see that working since I was teaching at the time. Too much stress.

How are you able to stay home? (ie- my husband makes enough, we make sacrifices like only having 1 car etc, we live partially off debt- we can pay it off when the kids are older, etc) DH makes enough money to sustain our lifestyle. We are not rich by any means, but we have everything we need and almost everything we want.

Are you saving for retirement and the kids' education? Tim is saving for his, and I will start contributing to mine again when I go back to the education field. Yes we save for our kids' education. There is no way they will qualify for grants because of our income. I don't want them taking out loans for a bachelor's, so we will pay for their college. They're on their own for grad school. Of course, we hope they'll get scholarships, but since there is no guarantee, we save.

What is your favorite part of being a SAHM? Not missing anything. Sharing every moment of the day with them. Not worrying about them while we're apart.

What is the hardest part? Although DH makes great money, sometimes I think about the 55k I could be earning. If I were still working, we could save even more money, get our mortgage paid off super early, and get my upgrade house sooner. It's still worth it though. I can make money later.

Do you plan to return to work/school in the future? Definitely! I will go back part-time if I can find something worthwhile in 2014. Layla will be in kinder, and X will be in preschool 2 days a week. I have no idea what I would do with myself all day every day if my kids weren't at home. Just the idea is depressing to me.

June 13th, 2012, 10:15 AM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to add that when my older son was a baby I was not financially in a position to stay home. This time I feel really lucky to be in a position where I can stay home and raise my baby how I want and see all his firsts.

June 13th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
When was the decision made for you to stay home? when I was pregnant with Daniel, so 7 years ago.
How are you able to stay home? (ie- my husband makes enough, we make sacrifices like only having 1 car etc, we live partially off debt- we can pay it off when the kids are older, etc) I was able to stay home initially because I got unemployment and then I worked part time for an attorney friend till Daniel was about 6 months old. Then the opportunity to work at home came along
Are you saving for retirement and the kids' education? no, with the number of kids we have, we are eligible for financial aid and then they can work while going to school to help pay for what that doesn't cover
What is your favorite part of being a SAHM? nap time? Seriously, I love being home with my kids, knowing what they are doing and knowing who they are hanging out with.
What is the hardest part? there's no quiet time, especially in the summer.
Do you plan to return to work/school in the future? I'll work form home as long as I have the opportunity to do so. If something comes along that I can't pass up and Keelan is in school, I may go back to work.
June 13th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When was the decision made for you to stay home? I started staying home in 2005 b/c working was causing me major anxiety and health problems.

How are you able to stay home? (ie- my husband makes enough, we make sacrifices like only having 1 car etc, we live partially off debt- we can pay it off when the kids are older, etc) Yes, all of those. We lived in a deficit for years and have accumulated a LOT of debt which we are starting to pay off now that DH got a regular job. We've made lots of sacrifices. I even tried to go back to work but never got any bites.

Are you saving for retirement and the kids' education? har har har

What is your favorite part of being a SAHM? No set schedule, can decide what I want to do each day, and what I want to put off.

What is the hardest part? Letting go of control, putting her first before the needs of the household.

Do you plan to return to work/school in the future? No, this life style suits me and my health good. DH is supportive financially and emotionally about me staying at home. He's good to me.
June 13th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Veteran
When was the decision made for you to stay home? When I was pregnant with first son 12 years ago.
How are you able to stay home? (ie- my husband makes enough, we make sacrifices like only having 1 car etc, we live partially off debt- we can pay it off when the kids are older, etc) Husband makes enough. I am a saver. I buy most of my kids clothes at garage sales. I have clothes for the girls up till they are around 12! All boxed up.
Are you saving for retirement and the kids' education? Have retirement. Education they can get a job and really study in college since they are paying for it. Might help a little.
What is your favorite part of being a SAHM? I do not miss anything. I can home school the children which is my priority above all else. I have not missed any firsts with any of my children.
What is the hardest part? Tired. They are always here haha. We get out daily, but still.
Do you plan to return to work/school in the future? No plans at the moment. I plan to home school baby through high school so it will be a loooong time. I loved my job before children so maybe one day.
June 13th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When was the decision made for you to stay home? ? Not really sure. I worked off and on from the time AJ was year old until I was about 5 months pregnant with Katelyn.
How are you able to stay home? (ie- my husband makes enough, we make sacrifices like only having 1 car etc, we live partially off debt- we can pay it off when the kids are older, etc) At the moment we would be better off with me working. Things are tight tight tight and we have more debt than I am comfortable with. But where we live jobs don't pay squat and I'm NOT spending 40 hours away from my kids to bring home next to nothing. We figured it out and after gas, taxes, and child care I would bring home about $100 a week. NOT worth it, at all. I'd rather be broke.
Are you saving for retirement and the kids' education? Not at the moment.
What is your favorite part of being a SAHM? Being there for my kids all the time. I don't miss anything and get to raise them how I want.
What is the hardest part? Being stuck at home ALL the time and having to take them both to all the appointments.
Do you plan to return to work/school in the future? Yep. As soon as we get the car registred again I'm going to start doing a paper route and I'll go back to school/work when both kids are in school.

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

June 13th, 2012, 02:11 PM
sweetgirl51305's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When was the decision made for you to stay home? After Christmas. I was sick all the time and it just wasn't worth it.
How are you able to stay home? (ie- my husband makes enough, we make sacrifices like only having 1 car etc, we live partially off debt- we can pay it off when the kids are older, etc) My mom helps us out.
Are you saving for retirement and the kids' education? Not saving yet.
What is your favorite part of being a SAHM? Being able to have 1 less thing to worry about. Also not having to be stressed and sick all the time. Also, being the main person taking care of my baby!
What is the hardest part? Being the main person taking care of my baby, lol. Oh and lack of money!
Do you plan to return to work/school in the future? In school now. I plan to work once I figure out how my next quarter is going to be.

~*Visit my ETSY shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/SillyWillyLilli*~
June 13th, 2012, 03:03 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When was the decision made for you to stay home? The decision was made just after I had DD2 and I realized that after paying for daycare and taxes I'd bring home exactly $24 a week. It wasn't worth me working my tush off full time to make that.
How are you able to stay home? We sacrifice some, we don't eat out often, once a month max and we go to a kids eat free place. We don't buy take out anymore. We don't go on vacations, Florida was our first vacation in 10 years and my parents paid for us to go with them. I shop at thrift stores for clothes, sales for groceries and yard sales for toys and bikes. We have used cars. And most importantly if we can't pay cash for it, we don't buy it.
Are you saving for retirement and the kids' education? No, Dh has a pension plan through work, but that's all we have.
What is your favorite part of being a SAHM? Just being there for my kids, I'm the first point of contact. I'm the one who hears the stories first off the bus, I'm the one there to wipe up tears and blood. I get to go on all field trips, see all school plays. I'm at everything thats important to my kids.
What is the hardest part? No adult contact! There are some days that I feel like I'm going to go insaine if I have to wipe one more runny nose or wipe one more tush. I want to talk to an adult to say something more than, no, don't touch that, put that down. I want to have the extra cash to go out once in a while without the kids and I want my house to stay clean for more than 5 mins after picking up toys.
Do you plan to return to work/school in the future? Someday maybe but no definate plans.

June 13th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When was the decision made for you to stay home? It's what I've always wanted to do. And once I had Alex and DH joined the Army. It just doesn't make sense for me to work. I wouldn't make enough money to make it worthwhile.

How are you able to stay home? (ie- my husband makes enough, we make sacrifices like only having 1 car etc, we live partially off debt- we can pay it off when the kids are older, etc) Dh makes enough but barely. It's tough, we have some debt that we are working on paying down. We make sacrifies.

Are you saving for retirement and the kids' education? DH's hoping to go career with the Army so he'll have retirement but we are planning to set up another retirement savings eventually. Alex has a savings account that we put a little in each month, we'll work on putting more in later.

What is your favorite part of being a SAHM? That I don't miss anything with Alex.

What is the hardest part? Being tired all the time.

Do you plan to return to work/school in the future? I'm hoping to go back to school eventaully and finish a degree just so I have it if I ever need/want to go back to work.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

June 13th, 2012, 03:41 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When was the decision made for you to stay home? When we first got married

How are you able to stay home? My husband works & we don't live above our means. But he makes decent money, so me staying home isn't an issue, financially.

Are you saving for retirement and the kids' education? No, Savannah will get my husbands GI bill.

What is your favorite part of being a SAHM? I always say I was meant to be born in the 50's because I so much enjoy the role of wife/mom. I feel like it's what I was meant to do, so I love everything about it. Not everyday, though. lol

What is the hardest part? Little adult interaction

Do you plan to return to work/school in the future? Not in the near future. Maybe when all of our kids are much older, but I still would like to stay home to be a SAHW.
June 13th, 2012, 05:23 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
When was the decision made for you to stay home? Permanently just a week ago (I have been on maternity leave.)

How are you able to stay home? My husband makes enough money, and we live in a small town where the cost of living is low. I have also been recieving maternity benefits from the government, but that will be stopping soon. Money and budgeting and planning is an interest of mine.

Are you saving for retirement and the kids' education? Yes, $200 a month for retirement and $100 for education. It's not a ton but it's what's in the budget for now.

What is your favorite part of being a SAHM? Not having to leave the baby and worry about her. Getting to see her all the time.

What is the hardest part? Having to stay home all the time and getting bored/doing the same things all the time.

Do you plan to return to work/school in the future? Time will tell. I would love to stay home after they are in school and sip my tea in silence. ha hah. Just kidding (not really!). But I might go back to work once they are all older so that we can live a little more, but if I do go back to work I want a job I actually want to do and enjoy, not just a crappy office job. So that means education first.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
June 14th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When was the decision made for you to stay home? We always knew I'd stay home, but it was solidified when I got pregnant the first time.

How are you able to stay home? (ie- my husband makes enough, we make sacrifices like only having 1 car etc, we live partially off debt- we can pay it off when the kids are older, etc) My DH makes enough, we struggle a little some months, but we make it, and it's fine for us. We do make sacrifices in the sense we don't get to have and do everything we want but we do a lot and the rest can wait.

Are you saving for retirement and the kids' education? Kids have an RESP we put into each month.

What is your favorite part of being a SAHM? Being the one to oversee my kids development in these very precious and important early years.

What is the hardest part? Oh how I would love a break!

Do you plan to return to work/school in the future? Yes! No concrete plan as of yet, but once it makes sense, I'll return to work.
June 14th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When was the decision made for you to stay home? once we adopted the twins, having three in care wasn't worth me working out of the house
How are you able to stay home? I teach online from home at night
Are you saving for retirement and the kids' education? yes to both for all
What is your favorite part of being a SAHM? I'm not missing any of the firsts right now
What is the hardest part? the mind-numbing monotony
Do you plan to return to work/school in the future? unsure-my oldest was just diagnosed with a chronic illness and requires alot of rehab now, so I suspect I'll be teaching online for many more years
June 14th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
When was the decision made for you to stay home? When Erin was 4 months old. I was working at Walmart and my manager was just awful and it was very emotionally damaging to me. And leaving Erin (especially after my loss) was just hard and caused a lot of anxiety.
How are you able to stay home? We lived off student loans while Matt was in school, but thankfully he got a job that lets us live fairly comfortably. We don't have much extra, really, but we have all we need with a little wiggle room
Are you saving for retirement and the kids' education? Matt's got a 401k and his company matches what he puts in. We keep meaning to start accounts for the kids but something always happens, so we haven't had the extra yet.
What is your favorite part of being a SAHM? being with my kids.
What is the hardest part? being needed all.the.time. It'd be nice to be able to go to the bathroom without things exploding.
Do you plan to return to work/school in the future? I've contemplated training to be an ultrasound technician. Not sure but I'll probably do something at least part time when Allison's in school.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search