Fifty Shades

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2012, 07:08 PM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anyone else into the latest book phenomenon? I was apprehensive to read them but once I started I was totally addicted. I read the whole trilogy in a week and am reading them again

I'm dying to talk about them with someone. Haha

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
June 18th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Crystal423's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just started book 2 last night. They are addicting!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my wonderful siggy!
June 18th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Two and three are even better! IMO anyway

June 18th, 2012, 08:34 PM
klockert's Avatar Super Mommy
I read all 3 about a month ago. I really liked the story and totally fell in love with the characters, however I thought her writing style was a little too repetitive and juvenile.

June 19th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Alaska-Su's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a few chapters into book 2 right now. I agree with klockart, the stuff is repetitive. I keep thinking back to Stephanie Meyer and her "dazzling" line from Twilight every time I read "gray eyes" in this series. It's getting kind of annoying. We get it, his eyes are gray!

But other than that and some minor grammatical errors it's cute. Though, Christian Grey is pretty much FOB but much more caring and thoughtful.

Thanks Tasha_Mae for my siggy!!

June 19th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Cheshire's Avatar Mommy to three beauties!
Quote:
Originally Posted by klockert View Post
I read all 3 about a month ago. I really liked the story and totally fell in love with the characters, however I thought her writing style was a little too repetitive and juvenile.
I'm not a big reader of chick books (I'm all about action, I'm reading Game of Thrones!) but this is another reason why I haven't read it. I've heard that it's horribly written.

June 19th, 2012, 11:04 AM
It is very repetitive. If I read one more time how beautiful he is, I might scream. WE GET IT! He's hot!

June 19th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I honestly didn't notice the repetition, at least it didn't bother me. It is definitely a chick book.

I think it's impressive that she's made millions of women fall in love with a character as controlling and messed up as Christian Grey. Lol If you'd described him and told me I'd want Ana to stay with him I would have said you're crazy. But since I read them I was totally rooting for them to work out.

I also liked the little snippets from her " inner goddess" as well as the suspense and twists and turns. It was much more then the graphic romance novel I was expecting

In comparison to say Twighlight I thought it was 100 times better and well written

June 19th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Her inner goddess is pretty funny.

I think so many women have fallen in love with Grey because of the whole nurturing thing we have going on. We know people are messed up and we should just leave well enough alone but we just can't help ourselves. It's like so many of us have this fantasy that we are that special person who can finally change someone for the better, make their life happier, etc.

Her writing seems to have gotten a bit better in the second book so far, which isn't surprising. She's actively practicing. I know my first fanfictions were TERRIBLE and sounded just like something written by a 13-year-old (which they were haha) and as I've read those and my latest pieces, I can see a vast difference. Not to mention my score for writing on huge exams has shot up higher than it was.

I can't wait to see how her writing has progressed in the third book.

Buuuut I still prefer Jude Deveraux and Celest Bradley for romance and a few writers on an erotic fiction website to this author.

June 19th, 2012, 07:39 PM
^^^ This is exactly what I told DH. As women we have that fantasy that men will change because of their love for us. She plays to that fantasy perfectly. Not too mention she makes him so darn charming.

I do think the books get better as they go on. I read them so fast the first time I didn't have time to stop and really think about it. Which as you said makes sense since she is a new writer.

June 19th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Ritzbitz's Avatar In love with my daughter
read it about a month or so ago.. LOVED the trilogy.. i enjoyed the story very much.. i thought it was hot and raunchy and sexy. very atrocious writing.. feels like a 13 year old wrote it but nonetheless, it was a good, easy read. i cannot wait for the movie! YUM!

thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

June 20th, 2012, 12:04 PM
They are making a movie? Who would you all cast?

June 20th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Ritzbitz's Avatar In love with my daughter
Last I heard, Ian somerhalder is up for the part Of Christian. Which is fine by me. He is so **** sexy!! As for Ana, haven't heard anything yet but I think Anne Hathaway would make a good Ana. Or Megan fox even

thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

June 20th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Megan Fox is too stunningly pretty, in my opinion. Anne Hathaway would be much better if it was out of those two because she's pretty but more real-looking than Fox.

And I can't believe they're making a movie out of this. I mean really. There are TONS of romance novels that are 10 times better and haven't even been glanced at for a movie.

June 20th, 2012, 11:55 PM
I had no idea they were making it into a movie. I'm not sure how they'll do it.. lol

I am about half way through "50 Shades Darker" and it's making me cry. Not what I expected from this series. Can't wait to see what happens now..

June 21st, 2012, 07:45 AM
hearts.0nfire's Avatar STPR lover
I'm at the beginning of the 3rd book now. I'm trying to make it last for as long as possible. I do agree, her writing style is terrible but I still love reading it.

For the movie, I am praying they do not allow Kristen Stewart to get the part because she has been mentioned several times. I definitely won't watch it if she is. Even though I could definitely see Anne playing her, I think it needs to be someone a little bit younger since Ana just graduates college.

June 21st, 2012, 05:08 PM
Super Mommy
I guess maybe I should go out and buy the books...lol.

June 21st, 2012, 06:29 PM
I can't see Kristin Stewart or Megan Fox as Ana. I like the idea of Anne Hathaway.

June 21st, 2012, 06:40 PM
I think Anne Hathaway fits the part, but she is a bit old. Ana just graduated from college and the whole trilogy only takes, what, a couple months? Amanda Seyfried (sp?) is someone I think would do well if she died her hair brown. I'll be POd if Kristen Stewart plays her. Not fitting at all and I can't stand her. As far as Christian... I'm not sure. Whoever they choose has some big shoes to fill in my mind! I know the movie will leave so much out that'll make me mad but I'll see it anyway. And I have no idea how they're gonna make it into a movie without rating it X

I'm already on the third one for a second time. I would totally read them a third time too if it wasn't keeping from getting ANYTHING accomplished. LOL The second and third are so much better than the first. And since I read them so fast I forgot a lot of stuff.

Meggin- you should definitely get them. However, buy the whole trilogy. You won't wait to wait to go buy the next ones!
Meggin21 likes this.

June 21st, 2012, 07:07 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiep726 View Post

Meggin- you should definitely get them. However, buy the whole trilogy. You won't wait to wait to go buy the next ones!

I read on my tablet, so I won't have to wait, and then the baby cant chew on the pages like she does my other books!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search