I am about at my breaking point

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KAB

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2012, 02:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
In regards to Rebecca's eating habits. I just don't know what to do with her anymore. I have always struggled to get her to eat, all she wants to do is breastfeed, all.the.time. She'll have very small periods when she will eat and things seem to get better, but then she'll go several days without eating hardly anything at all. I have tried cutting her way back on breastfeeding, in hopes that she would be hungry enough to eat solid food, but it doesn't work. All the foods she used to like, she no longer eats. We have tried many, many, many things with her, and she's just not interested in eating at all, it's not that she doesn't like the food, she just doesn't want to eat, and we have wasted so much food. I fight with her at every meal to get her to take a few bites, we cheer and clap and praise her for taking bites, and she likes that, but after 2 bites she's done and she throws a fit until she gets down, and the only reason she gets down is because I feel so defeated and I'm so upset that she won't eat. We've tried feeding her often, or making longer stretches in hope she's really hungry. I talked to the pediatrician and her suggestion was to stop breastfeeding her, which I'm not willing to do right now, there has to be another solution. When she's hungry I always try solid food first, but she's just not interested.

My biggest frustration is that DH and I have decided that we are going to have another baby, however I am not willing at all to breastfeed Rebecca while I'm pregnant, I'm just not interested in that at all. I'm also not willing to wean her until I know she's getting the nutrition she needs from solid food. Rebecca has always been small, she's in the 18 lb range right now and she's 16 months old, but if you look at her she looks and acts perfectly healthy. I'm not wanting to wean her, my goal is to get her to 2 yrs old, but at this rate I feel like I'm never going to be able to wean her. I just want to cut back and have her main nutrition be solid food. I don't know how to get her to eat, and I'm sooooo very frustrated. I dread meal times, I dread trying to get her to eat, I have no idea what to do with her.

Can't wait to meet our new baby GIRL!

Never forgetting all my sweet angels: Twins 10 weeks 1/2010 Baby B 8 weeks 8/2010 Angel 5 weeks 3/2013
August 3rd, 2012, 05:49 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A lot of 1 year olds don't eat a lot of food. And I'm so glad you are still nursing her. Guarantees she's getting some good nutrition.

Suggestions...not sure what you are already doing exactly, so some of these may not apply.

*Let her eat on the go. While she is walking around/playing. Bad habit in a way, but if it gets her to eat more then it might be worth it. Then when she is older and eating better you can teach her that the table is where eating happens. A lot of toddlers just want to get out and thus won't eat much.

*If you are feeding her, let her feed herself. Give her a fork/spoon. A lot of it may not make it to her mouth, but she might enjoy mealtime more and thus in a bit she won't resist sitting down to eat.

*Foods that my kids love to feed themselves: peel and quarter an apple. Then put 3 of the quarters in a baggie and just thinly, thinly slice one quarter. Pasta. Giver her a banana to eat...whole and with the peel only half down. Zane loves to hold the banana himself and eat it. Beans. Zane loves great northern beans and black beans. He eats them room temp or cold right out of the fridge.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (13.75), Ryllan (11.5), Finn (7.5), and Zane (4).

August 3rd, 2012, 06:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for those suggestions. I don't expect her to eat a lot, but what worries me is that sometimes she'll go the entire day without eating anything, or just a few tiny bites. We put food on the coffee table for her, so that she can snack on it whenever she wants, and we sit down at the table for our meals. She's super good with a fork, she can use it on her own, and she'll bite the food off the fork, and then spit the food out, she thinks it's a game, even though we clearly don't praise her for spitting the food back out. A lot of times she'll show interest in the food we're eating, and then when we give it to her she just crumbles or mashes it up and throws it on the ground.

Never forgetting all my sweet angels: Twins 10 weeks 1/2010 Baby B 8 weeks 8/2010 Angel 5 weeks 3/2013
August 3rd, 2012, 07:35 PM
ReaganorDean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I feel your frustration. DH and I have decided we want another one too. We seem to have opposite problem. My main issue with Reagan right now is expressive language. I can't get her to even say hi or wave to me. She's good at the receptive stuff, but certainly not where I think a 16 month old should be. She only says three words on a somewhat regular basis. My cousin's wife is a speech therapist and I've been meaning to talk to her. Otherwise, she eats like a horse....maybe one of these days our kids can hang out and impart knowledge on one another. The only thing I could suggest is Sprout meals. Have you tried those? Reagan loves them. They sell a few of their varieties at WallMart...and a few we order online...they're all organic and pretty good.
August 3rd, 2012, 07:51 PM
Pbear31's Avatar Super Mommy
I am so sorry that you are feeling frustrated I have a friend that had a kiddo that wouldn't eat, and they were successful with salty foods. Apparently, saltiness is really attractive to young pallates (sp?). However, it sounds like you have tried a lot. Hang in there...it sounds like she is doing great developmentally regardless of her weight/reluctance to eat.
August 3rd, 2012, 11:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaganorDean View Post
The only thing I could suggest is Sprout meals. Have you tried those? Reagan loves them. They sell a few of their varieties at WallMart...and a few we order online...they're all organic and pretty good.
I guess they can't excel in every area Are those the pouch foods? Rebecca won't eat anything that's pureed or mashed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbear31 View Post
I am so sorry that you are feeling frustrated I have a friend that had a kiddo that wouldn't eat, and they were successful with salty foods. Apparently, saltiness is really attractive to young pallates (sp?). However, it sounds like you have tried a lot. Hang in there...it sounds like she is doing great developmentally regardless of her weight/reluctance to eat.
Rebecca does prefer foods with spices and a lot of flavor. We try goldfish and ritz crackers, but she's not a fan of those.

August 4th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Rozz-berry's Avatar Veteran
I don't know, a lot of times I worry that my LO won't eat anything *nutritious.* I only breastfed for a short time, so you're lo is probably better off, but I'm glad he's at least drinking milk because I know he's getting some nutrition. Toddlers are notoriously picky eaters. As long as she's still consuming breastmilk you know she's at least getting the nutrients she needs. I think its better than her eating junk.

DJ Junior.

August 4th, 2012, 04:59 AM
The Sprout meals are mushy but solid. They come in little covered trays sort of like the Gerber toddler meals...but there's a lot more variety...less pure liquid that they're just sitting in. The Gerber meals seems a bit starchy to me, where the Sprouts incorporate a lot more meat, veggie, and carb. They have risottos and beef stew...that sort of stuff. It always amazes me how kids at this age can be at such different stages. I can't believe Rebecca said "mean Mommy" AND in the right context. As much as it can make you sad because of what she said, it's an accomplishment too. Gotta love growing vocab. Whereas, I have the child that will eat salmon and cod but won't say "hi" to me. LOL Crazy...
August 4th, 2012, 03:52 PM
michelle_m's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is just a shot in the dark since you seem to have tried everything I would have thought first to suggest AND because I only bf'ed for four months, but have you thought about only bf'ing at set times of the day? I know it would affect your supply some and she would probably completely wig out for a few days, but she'll get over it. It'll just be really tough for a little bit. Just a thought. I mean, the best answer is probably going to somehow involve making her hungry - she'll cave eventually because, and you should remind yourself of this, no little one is going to let himself or herself starve. Get skinny? Yes. Starve? No.

Lots of hugs to you!

I'm going to have to try some of the tough love soon, too, to get my girls - well, Nadine, esp. - to give up bottles. Ugh.
After 2 years of infertility, IUI #3 with Clomid 75mg brought us twins.
E and N, born 6 weeks early but healthy, 1/11.
5/14 to 5/15 - TTC #3 for 1 year, then started Synthroid.
5/13/15 - Natural BFP. Chemical Pregnancy.
6/10/15 - A second natural BFP. Due Feb. 21st, 2016.

August 4th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
The Sprout meals are mushy but solid. They come in little covered trays sort of like the Gerber toddler meals...but there's a lot more variety...less pure liquid that they're just sitting in. The Gerber meals seems a bit starchy to me, where the Sprouts incorporate a lot more meat, veggie, and carb. They have risottos and beef stew...that sort of stuff. It always amazes me how kids at this age can be at such different stages. I can't believe Rebecca said "mean Mommy" AND in the right context. As much as it can make you sad because of what she said, it's an accomplishment too. Gotta love growing vocab. Whereas, I have the child that will eat salmon and cod but won't say "hi" to me. LOL Crazy...
Lol, yeah, it's amazing to me as well how different they are at the same age. I'll have to look into those meals and give them a try, I'm willing to try anything to get her to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle_m View Post
This is just a shot in the dark since you seem to have tried everything I would have thought first to suggest AND because I only bf'ed for four months, but have you thought about only bf'ing at set times of the day? I know it would affect your supply some and she would probably completely wig out for a few days, but she'll get over it. It'll just be really tough for a little bit. Just a thought. I mean, the best answer is probably going to somehow involve making her hungry - she'll cave eventually because, and you should remind yourself of this, no little one is going to let himself or herself starve. Get skinny? Yes. Starve? No.

Lots of hugs to you!

I'm going to have to try some of the tough love soon, too, to get my girls - well, Nadine, esp. - to give up bottles. Ugh.
When I'm at work, DH gives her a bottle. I've asked him to limit the amount of cows milk he gives her, because it should be easier to cut back on that first and I hoped she would eat more solid food when the boobs aren't available, but she is his baby, and he still warms up her cows milk for her! It drives me crazy. I don't regret any of the breastfeeding at all, but I'm also getting to a point where I'm getting tired of it, she won't sit still and she ends up hurting me, I would love to get to a point where I can just nurse her in the morning and evening, but I can't get myself to cut back when she's not eating anything else and she needs the nutrition, too much cows milk upsets her tummy. I think we're probably going to get to a point though, where I've just had enough, and I agree that she won't starve herself, but DH needs to be on the same page so that he won't constantly give her cows milk.

Rebecca prefers to drink her calories, I guess, so I may try to get a juicer and juice fruits and vegi's for her, if she'll take that then it would make me happy, so I just have to see if I can afford one.

August 5th, 2012, 10:39 AM
That's an idea. Maybe she would drink a fruit smoothie, or some form of baby homemade instant breakfast.
August 6th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Super Mommy
So sorry to hear the struggles! I would just try a plain old blender or food processor before you invest in a juicer. Smoothies are great (add any fruits, yogurt, milk, coconut water, ice). You can also add veggies to smoothies - like spinach and it won't taste like a V8 (LOL). Maybe soups too (pureed) like potato, broccoli cheese, etc. etc.

I BFd and am fully supportive of BFing but my initial reaction is that maybe it's just time to be done (please don't take offense). So that you can focus on getting her to advance towards solids. You could always pump for a while so that you have that backup of nutrutious mommy's milk!

Good luck and KUP!
Baby #2 due 11/30/12
39 y/o, from Boston, MA
August 8th, 2012, 01:34 PM
*Rosie*'s Avatar Blessed
I feel your pain....
DD went through a phase of only wanting milk after my son was born. While I was in hospital giving birth, she didn't want to eat ANYTHING.
Personally, I felt it was better for her to drink milk than to get nothing. So i gave her as much milk as she wanted.
That said, I still offered her food throughout the day.

Now she is doing much better, but we still have our bad days. Here are some ideas that helped us:
Try to eat something away from the table. A bowl of cereal may be more appealing if she sees you eating it. Offer her some from your bowl
Bring a little container of cut up fruit with you when you go shopping, try to pop some in her mouth.
give her a snack when she's in her car seat in the car, or on a walk, she might try some.
try giving her something to eat on a real plate or in a novelty container.

It will get better

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 17th, 2012, 05:09 AM
How's it going?

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (13.75), Ryllan (11.5), Finn (7.5), and Zane (4).

August 18th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for asking! At the risk of jinxing it, ever since I wrote this she has actually been eating, it's not much, but at least she's consistantly eating a little bit at every meal and snacking throughout the day. I'm a very happy mama! However, I feel really bad saying this, but I am really ready to be done nursing her, I just don't enjoy it at all, she twists and pulls, and pinches, and wants it all the time, I'm just burnt out. Hopefully her eating will continue to improve, and I can figure out a way to get her to cut way back on nursing.
*Sharon* likes this.

August 19th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Good to hear things have been better!!! I was reading through some of the posts and saw that you wrote that Rebecca likes spicy foods with a lot of flavor. Have you tried any Mexican food for her yet?
August 19th, 2012, 02:17 PM
No tips here but thought I'd share that I have a picky eater too. In our case though I dont mind too much. A lot of the time she just makes a mess or then only has a couple of bites. I dont mind breastfeeding to make up for it though.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
August 19th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Good to hear things have been better!!! I was reading through some of the posts and saw that you wrote that Rebecca likes spicy foods with a lot of flavor. Have you tried any Mexican food for her yet?
Yep, she seems to like mexican food. The other day we were in a super rush, so DH picked up taco bell on his way home, she didn't want anything to do with his burrito, but mine had hot sauce in it and she gobbled down on it, she likes things spicy! The more flavor, the better for her.

August 20th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Glad she's eating so much better!!!!

August 20th, 2012, 08:31 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ok for the most part been there done that. To encourage your dc to wean, simply offer reg. milk or whatever instead of breast. For the most part, for me, bedtime was/is the hardest. Offer water to sleep. It will take some.......just remember, YOU are the mom/parent and the dc does NOT dictate, you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAB View Post
Yep, she seems to like mexican food. The other day we were in a super rush, so DH picked up taco bell on his way home, she didn't want anything to do with his burrito, but mine had hot sauce in it and she gobbled down on it, she likes things spicy! The more flavor, the better for her.
Sorry....this has been an ongoing debate between dh and I to me that's just fire not flavor.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search